PDA

View Full Version : [3D] Low-poly Jeep

Rostum
09-23-2007, 10:11 AM
So, just an exercise I had to do for university. Only took a day to do, and is very low-resolution (for an old game engine, or something). A good break from working on my Lamborghini.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/Omecle/jeepRender.png

Tell me what you think. :)

Captain Maxx Power
09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
That's very good. I could easily see a model of this detail in the mid-1990's generation of games (Half Life, Unreal etc). Did you do the textures yourself?

Fatal Impurity
09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Dude you rule...are you currently involved in any game projects?

Laddy
09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I have project you could be involved with...

Rengori
09-23-2007, 07:41 PM
The only thing I'd change is making the wheels less angular. Other than that awesome.

Shoeberto
09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
That's very good. I could easily see a model of this detail in the mid-1990's generation of games (Half Life, Unreal etc). Did you do the textures yourself?
Actually, that's probably too high poly for games of that era. With some normal and bump mapping, it could actually fit well into today's era (or at least a few years ago) of games.

Captain Maxx Power
09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Actually, that's probably too high poly for games of that era. With some normal and bump mapping, it could actually fit well into today's era (or at least a few years ago) of games.

I think you're being a bit under-optimistic in the first instance and over-optimistic in the second. It's about right for that era I would say, but definately not up to the level of models seen in games coming out today.

Rostum
09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks guys. No I'm not involved in any projects, but later on in the last year of university I will probably be in a team to make either a short film or an independent game (that or I get an intern position at a company).

Yeah, we've only just started the course in the last few weeks. I kind of jumped ahead and had a look at some extra tutorials, and had a go at this Jeep model.

There are probably ways to reduce the poly count, but the idea of this exercise was to show how to model efficiently in terms of poly count, topology, uv's, etc. So it's pretty basic. You'd probably get away with what, 3,000-4,000 triangles in new-gen games? I don't know.

Jess
10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow! This is very good, Omecle.

I'd never be able to do anything like that~ :jess: