PDA

View Full Version : Swap Magic

Rostum
09-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Alright, so I received Swap Magic 3.8 plus Coder, it is the PAL version. I am trying to get Chrono Cross to run (it is NTSC), and am using the CD version with the slide tool on an older PS2.

For some reason, it just comes up with "Please insert Playstation 2 Disc" whenever I try to boot in Normal with all three video settings (PAL, Default, NTSC).

Anyone know what am I doing wrong? >.<;

XxSephirothxX
09-24-2007, 06:13 AM
You can't play PS1 games with a swap magic disc. Use this method instead (it works with an NTSC PS2, I assume it would work with a PAL one also, but I don't really know).

1. Go to the PS2 dashboard/browser so that you can see what disc is in the drive and what memory card is inserted.
2. Insert a legitimate PS1 disc, close tray.
3. Once it recognizes the disc is there, use the slide tool to open the tray, put in Chrono Cross, then shut the tray and lock it with the slide tool.
4. Boot.

This works for burned PS1 games, but I don't know if it would have any effect on region-coding. If it fails, try downloading a PAL copy of Chrono Cross so you can play it, if that's what region your console is?

Rostum
09-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Hmm, I just get a black screen when I try that. Alas, there is no PAL version of Chrono Cross. :(

I didn't buy Swap Magic to play PS1 games. It just happens that I have Chrono Cross from when I used to have a modded PS1, and thought it'd be cool if I could play it. Everywhere says you can play imported and backed up PS1 games as well as PS2 games, so I don't know why it won't play PS1 games.

I haven't been able to try other region PS2 games yet.

XxSephirothxX
09-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Unless it's something exclusive to the "coder" swap magic version, you can't use the swap magic disc to play backed-up ps1 games, unfortunately. The swap method works for me, but it's probably not able to handle the NTSC->PAL change.

Rostum
09-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Hmm, that sucks. I guess I will just have to emulate it.

o_O
09-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Here's how you can do it:

1. Acquire a copy of <a href="http://www.modchip.com/breakerpro.htm">Breaker Pro</a>. How you get it is up to you, but know that it can be burnt.

2. Use Swap Magic to boot Breaker Pro if it's not legitimate, or just boot an authentic copy.

3. Then use Breaker Pro to boot your PS1 game.

There are other methods you can use, such as a memory card loader (notoriously unreliable and causes an area of undeletable, corrupt data on your memory card) or, of course, a modchip. I eventually got a mod chip because I got sick of having to swap discs all of the time.

Rostum
09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Cool, thanks o_O. I might think about buying Breaker Pro, I don't really mind swapping discs. Better than fiddling around with plug-ins on emulators. Plus, that'd give me a chance to *cough* download *cough* some PS1 games that weren't released in Australia.

Discord
09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Crap, just deleted my essay here. I'll post a link with what you need in a sec.

Discord
09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
There you go:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/chrono-trigger-chrono-cross/109996-how-play-chrono-cross-pal-systems.html

@ all CKs: A sticky, in the linked thread, wouldn't hurt, as this seems to be a rather common question.

Baloki
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Ordering CK's around :O You'd be more likely to succeed if you'd PM'd one tbh :O

Discord
09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Meh, there are enough of them in this forum anyway.

I've got my copy of the PAL Chrono Cross anyway, so it's really in their interests, not mine. No orders, just constructive suggestions.:tongue:

Rostum
09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
You do realise that method isn't just restricted to Chrono Cross, so why would they sticky just that in the Chrono Cross forums? Especially when you had your caps lock key stuck.

May as well just get the boot disc that was suggested in this thread, and not have to worry about ripping/burning, and being able to run the actual CD's. Seems like less hassle.

Discord
09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
The reason is that people keep asking this very question all the time. Why do it the way I suggested? Because it works. If you know any other way, great, but that's how I did it. Why sticky it to Chrono Cross? Because most people on this forum will only need it for Chrono Cross.

And eh... you're welcome alright.

EDIT: Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's arse if it gets stickey'd or not. It would just seem to be a logical move to provide people with a permanently visible solution to a popular problem.

Baloki
09-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Best way would be to not import or download games :p Also stickying a thread that suggests burning am illigally aquired version of a game isn't exactly the best idea now is it :p?

Discord
09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Importing games isn't illegal. Burning copies of any media for your own use isn't illegal either. How is it a bad idea?

Rostum
09-25-2007, 02:18 AM
The reason is that people keep asking this very question all the time. Why do it the way I suggested? Because it works. If you know any other way, great, but that's how I did it. Why sticky it to Chrono Cross? Because most people on this forum will only need it for Chrono Cross.

And eh... you're welcome alright.

EDIT: Quite frankly, I don't give a rat's arse if it gets stickey'd or not. It would just seem to be a logical move to provide people with a permanently visible solution to a popular problem.

Woah, calm down. I was just saying it'd be easier to get Breaker Pro than rip and patch your games.

Best way would be to not import or download games :p Also stickying a thread that suggests burning am illigally aquired version of a game isn't exactly the best idea now is it :p?

Chrono Cross wasn't released in PAL areas, the only way to play is to import or download it. This is true for a lot of games.

Importing games isn't illegal. Burning copies of any media for your own use isn't illegal either. How is it a bad idea?

Are you sure it's not illegal to backup media? I'm not really sure. But yeah, importing isn't illegal, and last I heard mod-chips and boot discs aren't illegal in Australia. (could have changed since I last checked, and can't be fucked looking again).

Discord
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm actually very sure that backing up is fine pretty much everywhere. Some countries also allow sharing for non-commercial use, i.e. P2P, (e.g. Canada) however it's not the case for where I live. There really is nothing wrong with making copies for yourself though.

Hell, I do it all the time. I'm not sticking a Collector's Edition CD into my car stereo.

Changing the content via unofficial pages might be a different story though.

Baloki
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm actually very sure that backing up is fine pretty much everywhere. Some countries also allow sharing for non-commercial use, i.e. P2P, (e.g. Canada) however it's not the case for where I live. There really is nothing wrong with making copies for yourself though.

Hell, I do it all the time. I'm not sticking a Collector's Edition CD into my car stereo.

It's not illegal in your area, but that doesn't mean it's not illegal elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure bypassing DRM and encryption methods is illegal in pretty much every country, just because people don't really get prosecuted for it doesn't mean it's not wrong.

Discord
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM

It's not illegal in your area, but that doesn't mean it's not illegal elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure bypassing DRM and encryption methods is illegal in pretty much every country, just because people don't really get prosecuted for it doesn't mean it's not wrong.

Meh, who says that it's automatically wrong if it's illegal. I'm pretty sure that it's not illegal though. The point is that you don't purchase the medium, but the information on it. Whether it's code or music doesn't really matter. As long as that information stays with you doesn't matter how many times you own it.

Quite frankly, I've never heard about -anybody- forbidding security copies for personal use.

Fatal Impurity
11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Actually Discord if you look into almost any PS1 booklet just inside one the first page to the left it will say somewhere "Backup copies prohibited" or "Making copies of this disk is illegal" or something to that effect. I've seen that message thousands of times on thousands of games.

Sorry man it's definately illegal, its just your not likely to get busted by the police for it, just like when you record a fav TV show of yours with a VCR...technically that is copying copywrited material without the onwers consent but no-one cares.

Discord
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Actually Discord if you look into almost any PS1 booklet just inside one the first page to the left it will say somewhere "Backup copies prohibited" or "Making copies of this disk is illegal" or something to that effect. I've seen that message thousands of times on thousands of games.

Sorry man it's definately illegal, its just your not likely to get busted by the police for it, just like when you record a fav TV show of yours with a VCR...technically that is copying copywrited material without the onwers consent but no-one cares.

Makes me wonder why they sell satellite receivers with recordning functionality though.