PDA

View Full Version : New Front Page Format Live!!

WarrenW
09-24-2007, 11:05 PM
The EoFF staff has been working hard in order to bring you a new front page, which was just updated yesterday. Now, your favorite stories are displayed on a separate page.

Next, we'll be working on allow us to contribute user content to the front page, so that you can contribute your stuff for the world to see!
Meanwhile, we've also added Digg buttons to our front site stories.

If you want to support EoFF, please simply click the Digg button(s) and digg our stories so that more people gets to read our stuff and come visit us :-)

Thanks!!
Warren

Fonzie
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Er... thanks?

Rengori
09-25-2007, 01:33 AM
Er... thanks?

Dynast-Kid
09-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Digg?...

And what kind of user content is gonna appear on the front page?

Baloki
09-25-2007, 05:20 PM
The separate page news thing? I'll be honest, and? It wasn't exactly a hard job if you were just altering Samuraids original news script, as for the turning the website into a wiki, good luck with that and I hope you have a good moderation team planned for it ^_^

Paul
09-25-2007, 10:10 PM
the layout is totally screwed in my browser. also at my resolution there is a horizontal scrollbar (the worst thing to ever happen to website design).

if you guys wanna pay me i can work here as quality control.

Peegee
09-25-2007, 10:20 PM
the layout is totally screwed in my browser. also at my resolution there is a horizontal scrollbar (the worst thing to ever happen to website design).

I have 1024x768 and it shows up fine. Any smaller and you aren't conforming to standards, I believe.

rubah
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
well, I think it looks nice!

Baloki
09-25-2007, 10:39 PM

I have 1024x768 and it shows up fine. Any smaller and you aren't conforming to standards, I believe.

haha, standards are it works in ANY browser, no matter size, aspect ratio, coding standards, graphical effects or add-ons (such as java, flash, etc). And EoFF's front page failed standards many moons ago :D

Paul
09-26-2007, 05:14 PM
baloki you are like a shining light

anyway. my resolution is 1024x768 but my favourites are on the left hand side you see, sort of squashing the browser into an 800x600 space. 99% of the websites i go on can cope with this. but if it doesn't matter to you guys, it doesn't matter to me.

Discord
09-26-2007, 07:30 PM

haha, standards are it works in ANY browser, no matter size, aspect ratio, coding standards, graphical effects or add-ons (such as java, flash, etc). And EoFF's front page failed standards many moons ago :D

It looks completely messed up 1280x800 Firefox... on the other hand it looks just as bad on any other resolution. The funniest thing is that it's the only page I know, which looks like it was meant to be run WITH an ad-blocker. Maybe this is how it's meant to look like... but, eh, look at the screenshot and tell me if my taste for beauty or the lack of it is out-of-date.

Either make the banner at the top a little bigger (btw. not a bad idea, the current one is getting old) or make the text-field smaller, because the two empty bars around it really don't make it look pretty.

But yeah, good work nevertheless to who ever is responsible for it.

rubah
09-26-2007, 09:25 PM
We are trying to get an updated banner, if you have particular pictures from ff12, ff13, KHII (newer games) that you want us to consider, feel free to make suggestions :p

Heath
09-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Snazzy. Using Digg is something I always mean to do but never actually get around to doing. I'll start using it one day.

Captain Maxx Power
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
The EoFF staff has been working hard in order to bring you a new front page, which was just updated yesterday.

Since when did the forums have a website?

bipper
09-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I dunno, but the common flow of web design still likes the 800 width, liquidity is fine too. Just a 800 base allows freedom for those who browse in a smaller than maximized window, and for those who cling to older non crisp monitors. I am not sure about the large top spacing either. if you bumped the left navigation up more float like, it would grab your attention better. I was just looking for a "CLICK HERE TO SKIP THIS ADD" button, like other sites use.

I also think the left pane could be more utilized. And the top banner needs to be axed or something. The curves on the upper right and left created an invisible border line that is just broken when the link pane and the right search box get pushed outside that. Like they hang half way out. It looks sloppy.

Meh, i give it a 2.5 outta 5.

Keep improving guys!

not to say it looks bad, I am just saying it could look better. I never liked it in the first place :P Not trying to be a horrid critic, just trying to help. :)

Dynast-Kid
09-27-2007, 01:09 AM
No one's answered my question?

bipper
09-27-2007, 01:54 AM
Digg?...

And what kind of user content is gonna appear on the front page?

Digg / All News & Videos (http://www.digg.com)

This allows you to digg news stories that you dig. It is a fin example of a California trend company thinking they are trendy and cool. This allows people to click a link and digg.com will basically rate the stories by votes or something. I never cared enough to find out. Dig nation just urks me.

I am guessing they will let certain users update various parts of the site. I doubt it would be wikki (nearly completely open) or if it will just be a CMS (content management system with open front ends). Essentially the same, they allow people to add secrets, items, or corrections and such to whatever page they are looking at. As Baloki pointed out already, they are a pain in the ass to manage.

rubah
09-27-2007, 01:56 AM
User content = reviews, articles, etc I imagine. I forget what all was proposed.

bipper, I would love to see eoff use a pure css layout instead of the table monstrosity it is now, it's just kinda hard and a pain to try. (I try every now and then, get frustrated and give up xD)

Baloki
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
User content = reviews, articles, etc I imagine. I forget what all was proposed.

So they've scrapped the wiki idea of old? Also we used to take user generated content, in fact that's all we took since that's how the front sites always worked xD

bipper, I would love to see eoff use a pure css layout instead of the table monstrosity it is now, it's just kinda hard and a pain to try. (I try every now and then, get frustrated and give up xD)

I made one aeons ago but never actually you know, told anyone xD I wonder if I still have a copy somewhere in my old file backups :p

rubah
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah but maybe some actual users with contribute some now!

bipper
09-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I dunno last time I offered to help all that was available was boring help. I might try out the new contest, but my 2d graphic artistry is the sux.

KoShiatar
09-29-2007, 07:48 PM
We are trying to get an updated banner, if you have particular pictures from ff12, ff13, KHII (newer games) that you want us to consider, feel free to make suggestions :p

CG Adult Rydia. PLEASE please please please...!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: