PDA

View Full Version : If you could see one change at EoFF...

Loony BoB
09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
...what would it be?

Storm San
09-25-2007, 12:58 PM
More people

Radje
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
More Robots.

Fonzie
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
More boobs.

Different moderators.

Jojee
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Less banners/ads

Old Manus
09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
The forum layout for non-logged in users to not look so goddamn horrible.

Bunny
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Old Manus the Admin.

Jojee
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
I was thinking the front site, really. With all the fuss about new front page format, I went there and just saw two huge square ads popping out at me. Not meaning to advertise or saying I agree, but even <a href="http://www.ffwa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63521" target="_blank">people who don't go here</a> notice all the ads/money-maing emphasis of EoFF.

Baloki
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Ban BoB?

Psychotic
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Beef.

edczxcvbnm
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Less ads! It makes this place look like :skull::skull::skull::skull:. I have ad block installed and I am logged in. If I had neither and I came here then I would turn right around. This place is a complete :skull::skull::skull::skull: hole with out that stuff.

EDIT: Also premium memberships are a waste of $$$. They don't offer much for your $ at all. I saw all of the other layouts and they were very unimpressive.

Raebus
09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
A good designer for the premium member layouts.

Polaris
09-25-2007, 04:08 PM
A good designer for the premium member layouts.

with cool icons of moggles or ff related :cool:

Storm San
09-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I want free premium accounts to piss off people who paid for a ff site :rolleyes2

Big Brother
09-25-2007, 04:39 PM
RadioFF returning. It's hard to workout or write fanfiction without Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger music blaring

Paul
09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
more freedom of speech, less mindlessly trivial topics, less pointless one line posts, less censorship, more responsibility given to members for their own actions. less nit-pick moderation (can't double post, can't reply to an old topic regardless of how valid it is etc), more adult conversation. destroy premium accounts (what a joke)

i could go on but i'm sure no one is listening

Loony BoB
09-25-2007, 05:04 PM
I said one thing, not fifty. >=(

Paul
09-25-2007, 05:08 PM
oh yeah... whoops!

okay... err... "MATURE GOVERNANCE", there.

Shoeberto
09-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I was thinking the front site, really. With all the fuss about new front page format, I went there and just saw two huge square ads popping out at me. Not meaning to advertise or saying I agree, but even <a href="http://www.ffwa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63521" target="_blank">people who don't go here</a> notice all the ads/money-maing emphasis of EoFF.
Interesting that our changes could unite another community that much!

more freedom of speech, less mindlessly trivial topics, less pointless one line posts, less censorship, more responsibility given to members for their own actions. less nit-pick moderation (can't double post, can't reply to an old topic regardless of how valid it is etc), more adult conversation. destroy premium accounts (what a joke)

i could go on but i'm sure no one is listening
So basically you want more freedom of speech and less censorship by having has censor pointless one-line posts and trivial topics?

escobert
09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Levels again ^_^!

XxSephirothxX
09-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not interested in Premium Memberships, but I don't see what the big deal is with offering someone the choice. Don't want one, don't buy one. Is it somehow insulting to be given the option?

For me, it would be fewer ads. I think it makes our site much less appealing to newcomers.

Levian
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
The forums looks very annoying when you're not logged in. Lots of adds and 10 posts per page, making you go to the next page all the time to read a thread. It doesn't have a direct effect on me, but I'm afraid it might scare away potential new members.

I don't see a problem with premium members either. The membergroup Regular Members hasn't been changed one bit, so it's not like they're missing out on anything they didn't have before.

Karellen
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less about the advertising here. Some people run websites because they genuinely desire to discuss their favorite fandom in depth with like minded individuals. Others do so to make money. It doesn't offend me that someone would chose the latter over the former, especially when the amount of advertising can easily be averted by either becoming a member or using a web browser that isn't complete bollocks. What might be an idea, however, is make it more clear that registering will indeed reduce the amount of advertising one will be subjected to significantly.

As for the changes I would make, it seems like a lot of the staff-run activities here put a greater focus on the more general forums rather then the FF/Square-Enix ones. If I was to change anything, it would be geared towards creating a greater number of staff threads that promote activity in the actual Final Fantasy forums.

Jojee
09-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Not to mention the "Join now and free PS3 and blah blah blah" link at the bottom of <i>every</i> post.

Premium memberships are fine if people want to support the site, get new skins, whatever. :P But when you make it so that there's giant ads which are just really <i>ugly</i> without getting a premium membership so that people feel compelled to get one, or when you make it so that the forum is <i>max ugly</i> and almost unusable without logging in so that people feel compelled to register and log in, that's not so good and makes me want to not support the site.

Levian
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
are fine if people want to support the site, get new skins, whatever. :P But when you make it so that there's giant ads which are just really <i>ugly</i> without getting a premium membership so that people feel compelled to get one

To be fair, they're not really huge or ugly at all. The ones before you log in are, I agree. But the ones after you have logged in are pretty small in comparison, I don't even take notice of the ad at the top of the page, and the in-thread ad is also easily skipped. It was like this way before we started with premium accounts, and it was definitely not intended to be a way to trick people into getting one. For those who don't remember, Cid's the one who started with the in-thread ads, spdude made even more, including picture ads, then Michael and Warren toned it down.

and checking out ffwa was fun :D we have over twice the number of members joined in september so far than they've had all 2007.

LunarWeaver
09-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Hmm...Probly allowing pictures to appear in user notes. Then all the overused macros could finally feel personal and warm.

Jojee
09-25-2007, 06:32 PM
are fine if people want to support the site, get new skins, whatever. :P But when you make it so that there's giant ads which are just really <i>ugly</i> without getting a premium membership so that people feel compelled to get one

To be fair, they're not really huge or ugly at all. The ones before you log in are, I agree. But the ones after you have logged in are pretty small in comparison, I don't even take notice of the ad at the top of the page, and the in-thread ad is also easily skipped. It was like this way before we started with premium accounts, and it was definitely not intended to be a way to trick people into getting one. For those who don't remember, Cid's the one who started with the in-thread ads, spdude made even more, including picture ads, then Michael and Warren toned it down.

and checking out ffwa was fun :D we have over twice the number of members joined in september so far than they've had all 2007. I don't think we had ads like that prior. There was a smallish ad at the top that fit into the blank area in the brown theme, and that was fine because it fit nicely. But they made the ad a lot bigger and put it below the header layout, which leaves a blank spot at the top in the layout and a big ad below it. The main page layout also looks sorely misused, because the tables are stretched due to the Google search feature they implemented and whatever else. It's not 800 x 600 compatible anymore and the top/banner portion doesn't stretch so far as to cover the whole layout.

Edit: And yeah, FFWA is pretty much a pure oldbies site xD Very rare to see someone posting there that didn't join in like 2002 or prior.

Karellen
09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
After logging out and looking at the main forum page, the ad banner still fits in the small space on the logo. There are a few ads beneath it, but they're just lines of text. Same for the main page.

edczxcvbnm
09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Actually...I always thought user notes were a pain to get to. Couldn't you make them easier :P

Jojee
09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
After logging out and looking at the main forum page, the ad banner still fits in the small space on the logo. There are a few ads beneath it, but they're just lines of text. Same for the main page. You must not be seeing the box ads, then. Let me demonstrate what I see.

1. This is the top of the forums while logged in. See the blank spot where the ad was supposed to go, see the giant ad below it. I won't talk about the ads in between posts right now and I can't remember if Sean did have them there. I thought he had announced he was putting it there as a testing period and I'm not sure what happened after that.

2. Top of the forums while not logged in. I am using a 1152 x 864 screen and I do not see any actual content yet. Additionally the ad in between the posts while not logged in is also of the larger size.

3. The main site. Part of the top banner is dislocated, everything just generally looks out of place and like a badly put together layout. Not to be ultra picky about it, but as someone who has webdesigned in the past and someone who browses websites, the layout of the site does make pretty big impression on whether I want to keep clicking.

I can get some kind of browser that blocks these ads as you probably have or get adblock, but I've been sort of rejecting that on principle. xD I wouldn't need it for any other sites I go to besides this one, and keep in mind that most people joining or stumbling upon the site would not have that, either.

Anyway I'll stop blah blahing, I'm off byebye :</>D

Karellen
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Hmm, obviously I have something checked that prevents stuff like that from showing up. Funny, I don't remember downloading anything.

Rye
09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I honestly can't think of anything that doesn't involve changing the PEOPLE. As far as the staff and the activities, it's really going in the right direction. :]

Miriel
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
More events, and more people willing and committed enough to run them. Not just Staff members, but from regular members too.

More picture threads! I don't like how ever since we had the official album upload thread, all other picture threads would be closed and the people told to direct their attention to the album thread. You're not even allowed to comment about the pictures in the album thread. That's no fun!

More random pranks and general funtimes that DOESN'T cause people to act stupid. There's a good way to spam and a bad way. People need to learn the difference.

I agree about the Premium membership skins are just awful awful awful. And I cannot believe that EoFF is actually offering those skins as incentive to pay for premium membership. They're really bad. The ads are bad for the general perception of EoFF. I don't see the ads, so it obviously doesn't bother me. But when I see EoFF from another computer, I'm not sure it's a site I would bother to join, looking the way it does.

Jimsour
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
A ban on these stupid "what is your favoure [character/game/spell/etc]" topics.

Heath
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
More events, and more people willing and committed enough to run them. Not just Staff members, but from regular members too.

I was tempted to suggest that but I felt it would be a bit selfish for me personally to say that when I contribute the bare minimum to events as it is! Events have always seemed like a good way of getting to know different people or just getting more involved with things on the forum.

Levian
09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
More picture threads! I don't like how ever since we had the official album upload thread, all other picture threads would be closed and the people told to direct their attention to the album thread. You're not even allowed to comment about the pictures in the album thread. That's no fun!

Yes! Someone go make a picture thread right away! >;o

Quindiana Jones
09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Multi-coloured custom plx.

That, or a little blue title saying Cid's Knight for me, and a little pink one saying BANNED for Psychotic. :bigbiggri

Burtsplurt
09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Probably the ads - the topics have got loads better since the end of last month.

I think if I ever signed out (and, er, accidentally got rid of AdBlock), I might not sign in again. This place is super ugly and obtrusive to new people.

Loony BoB
09-25-2007, 09:45 PM

Yes! Someone go make a picture thread right away! >;o
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/110041-sexy-picture-thread-love.html

Paul
09-25-2007, 10:08 PM
A ban on these stupid "what is your favoure [character/game/spell/etc]" topics.

YES, thank you sir

Peegee
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
EoFF is pretty pro all around. The webpage is pretty comprehensive and the forums and the community is pretty solid. If I had to change anything I'd drag all of the oldbies back here kicking and screaming.

XxSephirothxX
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
It doesn't make very much sense to ban a broad topic in a community that is based upon discussing some form of entertainment. Should we not be able to talk about what TV shows we like, what actors we think are incredible, what characters we think are fascinating?

When you start telling people what they can't talk about just to please the few who have been around for a long time and seen it all before, that's when you really become a :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty website. I find most of the threads here boring, now, but telling people they can't talk about why they like FFVII more than FFIX isn't going to make it better.

Is there some sort of unspoken rivalry between all the Final Fantasy community sites out there? I always think it's really strange when I see people registered at more than one FF forum. Seems like one would be quite enough. :p

rubah
09-25-2007, 10:27 PM
we're kinda all competing for the same pool of users!

Evastio
09-26-2007, 01:06 AM
I definitely want the Monster Job advertisement removed. It gets so annoying.

Yamaneko
09-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Improving this place would be like trying to multiply with zero.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-26-2007, 01:16 AM
LIVE ORIGINAL RPG FOR ALL MEMBERS!!!!!:cool:

rubah
09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Improving this place would be like trying to multiply with zero.

That's why we gotta add to it!

'cause I mean, subtracting the negatives hasn't worked so far

Rengori
09-26-2007, 03:22 AM
More boobs.

Also, ban Psychotic.

Tavrobel
09-26-2007, 03:55 AM
I think it's perfectly obvious what I want to see on this site.

Rengori
09-26-2007, 03:59 AM
I think it's perfectly obvious what I want to see on this site.

We all like hentai, but there are other sites for that.

Araciel
09-26-2007, 08:11 AM
i would like to be made a CK.

Radje
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
...............:love:
.............:) :)
.............. :jess::up:
...............:jess:
............:rolleyes2:moomba::rolleyes2
............:rolleyes2.. :rolleyes2
............:rolleyes2.. :rolleyes2

Breine
09-26-2007, 12:19 PM
RadioFF returning. It's hard to workout or write fanfiction without Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger music blaring

Yeah, I actually miss that one too.

Momiji
09-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Hmm...Probly allowing pictures to appear in user notes. Then all the overused macros could finally feel personal and warm.

I second this!

Paul
09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Is there some sort of unspoken rivalry between all the Final Fantasy community sites out there? I always think it's really strange when I see people registered at more than one FF forum. Seems like one would be quite enough. :p

possibly. its just that i remember when EoFF first got made, and the guy who made it was an FFWA member. so i sort of feel like even though EoFF has grown into something that i don't know, and that doesn't know me... i feel linked to it in some way. ON THE INTERNET LOLS

and yeah people shouldn't be allowed to censor specific topics of discussion, its just annoying when you go into a forum to discuss something real and all you have is children going "WHATS UR FAVE STRAND OF TIDUS HAIR WHATS THE FAVE QUOTE OF RINOA TO SQUALL WHATS THE TIME U CRIED MOST DURING A BATTLE SCENE WHATS THE BEST OUTFIT U THINK YUNA HAS EVER WORE" etc etc

Big Brother
09-26-2007, 05:55 PM

Yeah, I actually miss that one too.

While we're on the subject, why was it shut down?

$howBiz
09-26-2007, 06:34 PM
LOTS AND LOTS OF LAYOUTS! :D

TyphoonThaReapa
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
More boobs.

Also, ban Psychotic.

Second this, and get me and Ren some hookers...:cool:

snacks
09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
less skt?

more layouts for non premium members, or at least just give ME the italia one back because that's the only one i actually liked ;__;

Chimp
09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
A water feature.

KentaRawr!
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I think I speak for everyone when I say "I'm getting tired of these mother ****ing ads on this mother ****ing forum!".

Quindiana Jones
09-26-2007, 10:28 PM
For quoting Samuel L Jackson, you are now my favourite member.

Heath
09-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Actually, I'd quite like to see the return of the Attack button.

Shiny
09-26-2007, 10:52 PM
100x100 avatars

Jimsour
09-27-2007, 03:07 AM
A "who quoted me" feature like on some other forums, it tells you who has quoted you, basically.

Well handy.

Araciel
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
less skt?

honestly if this happened, i think you'd cease to exist altogether.

Baloki
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
For quoting Samuel L Jackson, you are now my favourite member.

:cry:

Actually, I'd quite like to see the return of the Attack button.

We should make the x-quote button a double-feature with the attack button :p?

Bowser
09-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Have Cid be the owner again.

And have people who deserve to be banned BE BANNED, regardless if they are popular here or not.