PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Sonata is incredible!!! Rate it!! :)

Dragonsoul
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51eXCz5JdkL._SS500_.jpg

I got my rental of Eternal Sonata last night. I had interest in the game but I wasn't sure if I would like it. I put it on and was awestruck! This is an amazing game!! I ended up playing for two and a half hours last night and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy the game and strategy guide and beat this game. It helps that this game is not too long, which means I have time for it. Here's a short review...

Eternal Sonata quick review
Graphics - 10/10[PERFECT!!!] - Movies, backgrounds, characters, monsters, special effects, menus, everything
Sound - 10/10[PERFECT!!!] - The music is great, it is remixes of Chopins music plus some new stuff right?
Controls - 9.5/10 - Great although I would prefer to manually rotate the camera to see locations/items better on the field screen.
Story - 9/10 - Great although I'm not sure yet if it has the extra spark to make it a legendary.
Characters - 9/10 - Great although I'm not sure yet if they have the extra sparks to make them legendary.
Battle System - 7/10 - This section needs some improvements. The battles are easy except for the bosses. Also you can guard attacks too easily by repeatedly pressing the guard button. Sometimes also the enemies walk around in their turn instead of attacking you. In general this innovative battle system is great but needs some more refinements.
Overall - 9/10
*Also, I read on the Rpgamer review that the game is too short, 25-35 hours. Also, the game has a music player in the menu that lets you listen to any song from the game as soon as you've heard it! There are extra bonus features in the menu also.

The game is great! I like it more than all the other rpg's I've played since I bought a Playstation 2 in November last year, except for Final Fantasy XII. Let's see Eternal Sonata fares against Final Fantasy XII! I'm going to play it more! :)

Nifleheim7
09-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I will buy it once i buy a PS3.;)
From what i've seen so far the graphics and story are much to my liking but many reviewers said as well that it's battle system suffers a bit...

Oh well,tastes differ so i will not judge it unti i get to play it.

Raebus
09-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus - Not an RPG.

Dragonsoul
09-27-2007, 09:11 PM
I consider it a 3rd person shooter rpg. What do you think of Eternal Sonata?

Here's the official website
NAMCO BANDAI Games - Eternal Sonata™ (http://eternalsonata.namcobandaigames.com/)
Go to Gallery, then Tv spot and watch it, what do you think of that commercial? :)

Raebus
09-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I think it looks rather good but I still don't buy the whole 3rd person shooter RPG. Yes, it has a customisation but I can think of other 3rd person shooter/action games that have customisation of the characters or even weapons and they're still 3rd person shooter games.

Rase
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
I think if DoC can be considered an RPG so can Bioshock. :p Regardless, it's low place on the list is distressing.

Anyway, while I'll likely never play this as I'm much less into RPG's now and don't have a 360, I must grant that it looks like a very fresh idea. Not often you get to control a dead composer from the 19th century.

Raebus
09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Your list fails for the sole reason of Dirge of Cerberus being higher than Bio Shock.

Dragonsoul
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I deleted my ranking of the recent rpg's I've played. I signed up for Endless Nocturne, the official community for Eternal Sonata. It has 30,000 members! The official website and the official community website are great. Here's the url for Endless Nocturne

Endless Nocturne: Official Eternal Sonata Enthusiast Community - Character Home (http://www.endlessnocturne.com)

Ouch!
09-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I enjoyed Eternal Sonata quite a bit. Definitely one of the best video game sound tracks I've ever heard (which one should probably expect of a game based around music), and it certainly looks stunning. I started the encore, but have since been distracted by Halo 3.

The plot isn't exactly anything fantastic, though, which is one of my two main beefs with the game. It's fairly simplistic, which isn't really a problem, but I kept expecting something big to happen even though it never really did. A couple questions went unanswered toward the end as well, but there's not much to do about that.

My other complaint is that the script definitely tries to throw in too much shoddy philosophy into character monologue. The characters tend to babble ceaselessly during the latter half of the game, taking three times as long to say something as necessary. While the characters do tackle some important moral and philosophical issues, the manner in which the script treats these ideas hardly does them justice and it often comes off as a bit forced.

Otherwise, I really enjoy the game. The battle system was pretty sweet (although the game seriously lacked in variations of monster designs), and there's a lot in the game that's impossible to complete until the encore, which gives me a good reason to beat it again.

The 35 minute ending was a bit much, methinks.

Dragonsoul
09-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I read in some articles that the VP of Namco Bandai may want a sequel. Not sure if that's possible but I wonder what's next for Tri-Crescendo. Anybody know what they are working on now?

Renmiri
09-29-2007, 01:54 AM
I liked the music but haven't rented it yet

Dragonsoul
09-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Rent it now! I'm buying the soundtrack within the hour and I'm buying the strategy guide tomorrow night. I already have a rental I can keep for a few weeks. I use an online video game rental by mail service, gamerang.com is it.

I'm excited about this game! :D

NAMCO BANDAI Games - Eternal Sonata™ (http://eternalsonata.namcobandaigames.com/)

Listen to that music on the top of the page~! I've ripped all 32 tracks by using the temporary internet files in internet explorer and clearing the history before loading each track. I can't wait for the soundtrack! :)

EDIT:
I just bought the soundtrack! Gamemusic.com and Animenation.com didn't have it but Amazon.com and Play-Asia.com did. I ordered it from Play Asia because it was cheaper. I paid $40.00 including shipping and I'll get it within 5-10 Business days, this is great! :)

Who here has played Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon? What do you think of Blue Dragon?

Rostum
09-29-2007, 07:40 AM
It looks alright, soundtrack is good. It doesn't make me want to buy an Xbox360 though.

Dragonsoul
09-29-2007, 07:53 AM
I've been assesing how the console battle goes specifically for rpg's. Xbox 360 is of course doing the best but I wonder how it will be a year from now when Wii and PS 3 get settled. Currently Xbox 360 is doing great in it's third fall season, two years in.

Blue Dragon(didn't like this game)
Eternal Sonata(I'm buying this game~! Renting/playing it now!! :))
Mass Effect(If I had more time I'd buy this game)

Also...
Two Worlds, The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition, Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess, Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus