PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile

nik0tine
09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I have wanted to play this game for years now and I finally obtained it yesterday. I'm emulating it and boy am I glad I didn't spend $200+ to buy this game. I have no idea what to think of it to be honest. It had the most brilliant opening I have seen in any game I have ever played. I was enthralled, captivated. And then... I found myself in the first dungeon my enthusiasm for this game was gone in minutes. This game plays terribly. It seems so tedious and boring and pointless. It can be so difficult to make some of these pointless jumps and don't even get me started on the treasure chests. What exactly is the point of the ability to pick up treasure chests? And why is it so god damn hard to open the things? I don't get it, honestly.

So, I don't really know what to think about this game. I absolutely love it and I absolutely hate it at the same time. What further information can you guys give me?

Discuss.

Roto13
09-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Are you still only at the first dungeon? Every other RPG in the world takes time to show it's stuff. VP probably isn't any different. (I haven't played it.)

nik0tine
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
These are just first impressions, mind you. I'll still be playing this game 'till the end. I'm just a little struck by the contrast between story and gameplay so far.

Radje
09-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I played it on the PSP and thought it was utterly terrible. It has lots of potential but the scattered unenthralling storylines and the peculiar dungeon thing ruined it for me. Not to mention this mindless battle system. All you have to do is press one button for someone to attack and that's it! There's no visible strategy and if there was it wouldn't matter as to kill everything all you have to do is attack with everyone anyway.

I got half-way through the second dungeon and gave up.

Araciel
09-27-2007, 09:45 PM
i played through the first dungeon then deleted it from my HD....just not for me, no matter how 'special' it is.

Karellen
09-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I would say that if you don't like the game already you're not going to. The whole game mainly consists of doing what you've done so far over and over again.

DK
09-27-2007, 11:54 PM
It took me three attempts to get a version that would even run for me, and when I did even then it ended up just getting stuck about half an hour in and not letting me progress a text box anymore so I just gave up. I liked what I played, though.

Markus. D
09-28-2007, 07:43 AM
-_-

You people and your lack of love for Grinding RPGs!

Heck! On easy it isnt even one of those ;\!

I am at least partially satisfied you did not go Margaret Cho on this game like Chemical did :3... and not even finish the Intro.

But yes, like most great games they are a bit of a slow start... ._.

Rostum
09-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I like this game. Valkyrie Profile 2 is out on PS2 in Australia (just released), so I'm going to buy that for Christmas.

escobert
09-29-2007, 07:52 AM
I've always wanted to play it but both attempts I've made and emulating it have failed and I don't have money to throw around aimlessly.

Araciel
09-29-2007, 08:13 AM
emulating is easy...there's actually tutorials on youtube :D

Karellen
09-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Valkyrie Profile has a few problems with emulators. Namely, it tends to freeze during the voiced cutscenes.

Araciel
09-29-2007, 08:25 AM
i ne'er had a problem...but then i didn't play too far into it.

Chemical
09-29-2007, 02:32 PM
-_-

You people and your lack of love for Grinding RPGs!

Heck! On easy it isnt even one of those ;\!

I am at least partially satisfied you did not go Margaret Cho on this game like Chemical did :3... and not even finish the Intro.

But yes, like most great games they are a bit of a slow start... ._.

This game was not just slow, it was long and slow - I'd rather sit ion a 3 hour lecture by Ben Stein

escobert
09-29-2007, 03:35 PM
emulating is easy...there's actually tutorials on youtube :D

I've never had problems with any game besides VP. It's the only gaem the refuses to work no matter what I do.

Araciel
09-29-2007, 10:32 PM
i just changed programs when i had a problem with ff9, it stalled during some of the cinematics, and it worked fine

Rostum
09-30-2007, 02:21 AM
The only problem I ever had emulating Valkyrie Profile on ePSXe, was that I saved during a cutscene, and so it goes out of sync and freezes. It's usually best to only save at save points, on the virtual memory cards.

Zeromus_X
09-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Once you learn how to open up the different treasure chests, they aren't so hard to deal with. There's only one dungeon in particular that I can remember opening treasure chests to be an actual problem.

It's true that many of the dungeons in this game can be pretty hard and tedious, and some are much longer than others, especially some of the Hard mode dungeons (why hello there Salerno Academy). But I always found the dungeons to be very fun, and the upbeat music always added into this. Please give the game more of a chance; and remember that the A Ending is necessary to get the whole storyline of the game. All of the lessons learned through the Einherjar sequences and what Lenneth learns all comes together in the end.

All you have to do is press one button for someone to attack and that's it! There's no visible strategy and if there was it wouldn't matter as to kill everything all you have to do is attack with everyone anyway.

Later in the game, simply attacking with everyone isn't going to cut it, especially if you have poor weapon setups. This isn't a typical RPG where leveling up is the key to victory, you will have to adjust your equipment and skills as necessary and formulate a strategy in order to win later on in the game. In addition, the game even gives you more tutorials on different battle subjects with each boss for most of the early game.

Ouch!
09-30-2007, 03:48 AM
I totally hated it. I couldn't even bother to play through much more than the first dungeon. I almost always give an RPG longer than that to hook me, but I just couldn't stand VP.

Markus. D
09-30-2007, 04:06 AM
Once you learn how to open up the different treasure chests, they aren't so hard to deal with. There's only one dungeon in particular that I can remember opening treasure chests to be an actual problem.

It's true that many of the dungeons in this game can be pretty hard and tedious, and some are much longer than others, especially some of the Hard mode dungeons (why hello there Salerno Academy). But I always found the dungeons to be very fun, and the upbeat music always added into this. Please give the game more of a chance; and remember that the A Ending is necessary to get the whole storyline of the game. All of the lessons learned through the Einherjar sequences and what Lenneth learns all comes together in the end.

All you have to do is press one button for someone to attack and that's it! There's no visible strategy and if there was it wouldn't matter as to kill everything all you have to do is attack with everyone anyway.

Later in the game, simply attacking with everyone isn't going to cut it, especially if you have poor weapon setups. This isn't a typical RPG where leveling up is the key to victory, you will have to adjust your equipment and skills as necessary and formulate a strategy in order to win later on in the game. In addition, the game even gives you more tutorials on different battle subjects with each boss for most of the early game.

Spam the average attack and the only kind of things you will get later in-game are things like this YouTube - Empress Massacre - 女王乱舞 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XX3LaT5qI)

Lawr
09-30-2007, 04:12 AM
I bought VP2:Silmeria two days ago, and I hate almost everything about it! There is almost literally no way of dodging enemy attacks. Yes, you just stand there and watch everything attack all your characters at once for maximum damage. :eep: And anything that has a Lance, a Spear, or Wings can probably just take away half your HP as soon as the battle starts because of their long range and the bulky controlling. Not to mention how LONG it takes to level up. And is it me or are all the dungeon themes based on the same notes? The syncing of the lips to voice ratio is completely unholy. The lips move AFTER all the voices. This game is lower than mediocre at best. The only thing I do like is the attacking system and the chaining of combos, but then half my people lose all of their health right after so there's no point in doing anything. :mog: I COULD go to an earlier dungeon to raise levels, but the gaps in EXP suck. Well, they're not as bad as SO3, but the EXP is split so if I need 2K EXP to level up, with a base of 500 but with max crystals from enemies and the Equipment Skills, I'll get about 250 each. Then, when I finally level up, the EXP sky rockets again. I don't think I can make it to the fourth dungeon.

This game to me, is just pure fail. Up to par with Transformers. I usually let games have a fair chance, but this just killed it all for me.

Oh and, don't buy this game...or Transformers. Get a Wii :jess:

Zeromus_X
09-30-2007, 04:21 AM
If you're leveling up in a Valkyrie Profile game, you're doing something wrong. The only reason to level up is to gain more skills and/or attacks in VP2's case. All the major stat increases come from your equipment, not the puny increases that come in from leveling up (which is quite common of most tri-Ace games). There are ways to absolutely humiliate every enemy; you just have to experiment with elemental weaknesses, attack and weapon setups, and definitely Sealstones. You can avoid most enemy attacks with proper use of dashing and using the menu to 'change' the enemy's attack if if looks like an undesirable one.

I think the big turn-off to people when it comes to VP games is that the games actually expect you to understand the mechanics of the game in order to succeed. VP2 in particular expects you to understand the battle system rather early on in the game (this is why the game's difficulty seems to skyrocket in the third chapter or so).

Lawr
09-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Yes, I watched some YouTube and tried dashing, but I still got owned although I don't lose as much HP but I can't attack faster than they can turn.

atlanteay
09-30-2007, 05:18 AM
VP2 is pretty easy if you use proper skills and equipments. It takes awhile to get used to and gets pretty annoying with certain bosses but the plot is pretty interesting. Also, dashing is super. It's a lifesaver!

Markus. D
09-30-2007, 06:41 AM
I just bought it n_n

I've been a fan of VP2 for awhile, but have only played the bits and pieces when over at a friends place (who had it imported).

I just unlocked Sylphide, :D

Lawr
09-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I like Roland (Right after Sylphide, Same Dungeon) and Dylan! I can chain their attacks for an almost instant break.

Momiji
09-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I have wanted to play this game for years now and I finally obtained it yesterday. I'm emulating it and boy am I glad I didn't spend $200+ to buy this game. I have no idea what to think of it to be honest. It had the most brilliant opening I have seen in any game I have ever played. I was enthralled, captivated. And then... I found myself in the first dungeon my enthusiasm for this game was gone in minutes. This game plays terribly. It seems so tedious and boring and pointless. It can be so difficult to make some of these pointless jumps and don't even get me started on the treasure chests. What exactly is the point of the ability to pick up treasure chests? And why is it so god damn hard to open the things? I don't get it, honestly.

So, I don't really know what to think about this game. I absolutely love it and I absolutely hate it at the same time. What further information can you guys give me?

Discuss.

How the hell can it cost $200?!
Anyway, I have VP2. I like it. Not my favorite game by a long shot, but a nice way to kill time. The graphics are pretty too. :)

Araciel
09-30-2007, 12:54 PM
ebay whoreage.

Karellen
09-30-2007, 12:59 PM
It's not quite that bad but in general one should expect to have to pay $100-150 US for the PSX version on ebay. I don't blame people for buying the inferior but significantly cheaper PSP port these days.

There are a few other JRPGs that generally sell for that amount though. Suikoden II in particular.

Araciel
09-30-2007, 01:01 PM
which is why i prefer less legal methods of playing these games.

crono_logical
09-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I had no problems emulating VP1 :p

I like the battle system in VP/VP2, it's unique for an RPG :p I think the people having difficulties with the battles don't understand how you need to time the attacks of your characters so they connect with the enemy, rather than mashing the buttons randomly so the characters swipe above/below the enemies and miss :p Once you get that sorted and can fill the guage at the bottom to 100, you can cream the enemies with your Finishing Strikes, which look pretty impressive in VP1 considering the console/age of the game, and even better in VP2 :p Then you have to worry about the order you do the finishing strikes to try to keep the bar full so you can do 3 or 4 per round of attacks :p

Markus. D
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I like Roland (Right after Sylphide, Same Dungeon) and Dylan! I can chain their attacks for an almost instant break.

Apparently they are random per playthrough, unlocking up to about 21/50 in one game... this gives me a reason to play again :D!

How beautiful some of the scenery is ^_^~

Also, how hot is Dallas's hair, I wish I had neat hair like that.