PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop vs America

Ashley Schovitz
09-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Since there are about thousands of members on this site then I could assume that some of you had to watch the two part debate that BET had discussing many aspects of hip Hop in America. The three part debate was aired yesterday and the day before. if you mised it you can watch it here BET.com - BET.com | On TV | Hip Hop vs. America (http://www.bet.com/OnTV/hhva.htm?wbc_purpose=Basic&WBCMODE=PresentationUnpublished)

Some of the speakers were Nelly, mike jones, T.I., Al Sharpton, and Melyssa Ford. They discussed many topics like the government's habit of blaming Hip hop for the state of the nation, the degredation of women, economics, and creativity, and also the influence on the youth. I was most concerned on this part because apparently today there are too many rappers today that focus on the negative and lack creativity thus leading a lot of youths to imitate them and follow into this stupid bandwagon. i'm tired of typinf right now so somebody else speak.

Peegee
09-28-2007, 01:47 AM
I remember when hip hop and rap were socially relevant and important concepts. Now it's just a money making machine. Bah.

Shoeberto
09-28-2007, 04:55 AM
I remember when hip hop and rap were socially relevant and important concepts. Now it's just a money making machine. Bah.
Same goes for rock, really. It's sad that basically no forms of music with any social relevancy are capable of hitting the mainstream, though I guess it's worst with rap. Rap could target a market that could use the knowledge to rise up and change things, but instead we get crap that reinforces negative ideologies and perpetuates poor urban lifestyles. It's a shame.

escobert
09-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Heinous crimes help records sales more than creative lines

Peegee
10-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I subsequently watched the show. It's basically segmented clips of various concepts they spoke of.

Not to sound stereotypical but I didn't know that Nelly was that intelligent. Seriously my exposure to him was all I had, so to see him defend himself and give really good arguments made the show very engaging.

The problem I'm seeing is that because it's about the money nowadays, new generation teens are not even capable of comprehending the history of the music they listen to.