PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch Released

Zeality
09-29-2007, 06:08 AM
Ooh, boy...this will be one of my famous "spam" posts. I hope it's important enough to justify.

~

It's here. At the end of August, I felt we had waited long enough, and began a blitz effort to insert the retranslation into the US ROM with Temporal Flux. Tons of beta testing, a few hard hacks, and many hours later, the Chrono Compendium Chrono Trigger Retranslation Patch is complete. To immediately download the IPS patch and readme instructions, click here (http://chronofan.com/Black/Publications/Retranslation/Chrono%20Trigger%20Retranslation.7z). If you don't support the 7zip format, click here (http://chronofan.com/Black/Publications/Retranslation/Chrono%20Trigger%20Retranslation.zip). Thanks to Lena for this sexy banner:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/a/af/CTPG2.png

But that's not the end by any means! Check out the "Making of the Retranslation" feature by clicking here (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Stories/45). It details the grueling process that brought you the patch and offers up a link containing some of the hard hacks we made in the forms of patches for your personal use. So, three cheers for KWhazit and the new patch! Hoist the colors high; never shall we die! Be sure to report bugs if you catch 'em.

blackmage_nuke
09-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Whats wrong with the current translation?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Absolutely nothing, apart from a few subtleties that couldn't be carried over at the time due to cartridge space limitations. The fan translation reincorporates these, but it's also a starkly literal translation that reads like stilted crap. Overall, it's nothing like Woolsey's smooth jazz.

Zeality
09-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Check the readme. It was our intention from the beginning to produce a canonical, literal bible. Criticism for that part of it is moot.

KoShiatar
09-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm curious about this translation, because as much as one may like Woosley's style, his work suffered from all the limitations the SNES cartridge had at the time as well as Nintendo of America's strict guidelines. People will choose for themselves which one they like best.

Elly
10-01-2007, 01:02 AM
i don't mind the name changes like Ozzy, Flea, & Slash, it's the censorship that annoyed me, changing things like beer/ale into soda seems stupid to me, there's no way the guy in the pub coulda gotten that drunk offa soda, that's what really sucked about those in charge of "Nintendo of America" at the time, they wanted to censor everything, i'm glad they finaly realized all gamers are not 5 year olds, of course with their strict policies fewer companies would develope for them over time to where NoA had to grow up or lose 3rd party developers altogether... Woolsy, smooth jazz? i don't think so, that guy are sick...

Jowy
10-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Elhaym, see Woolsey's translation of FFVI, and compare it to the Sky Render fantranslation. That would be what Mr. Kishi is referring to by "smooth jazz".

KoShiatar
10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
And by the way, "this guy are sick" does not come from Woosley. There is no Engrish in his translations, that's for sure. :D

Elly
10-07-2007, 12:15 AM
i've never played a fan translation of anything, let alone anything that was originaly translated by Woolsey retranslated by fans, so really i have nothing to compare Woolseys work to, i'll take y'alls word that by comparison to fanlations Woolsy is smooth jazz, to mean fanlations usualy suck... i guess i shouldn't be so hard on translators as translation and localization seems to be hard work from some behind the scenes making of documenteries on some games i've seen...

Skyblade
11-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Check the readme. It was our intention from the beginning to produce a canonical, literal bible. Criticism for that part of it is moot.

Wrong. Translation on that part is perfectly acceptable. If you wish to create an encyclopedia of the game, then do so. But what you are doing is like making a direct translation of poetry. Sure, you'll get a word for word meaning, but you lose everything that made it great. I'll take a few minor errors and mistranslations anyday in order to preserve the feel of the game.