PDA

View Full Version : Software for recording streaming audio

Rase
09-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what program to use to record audio streaming through my computer. I used to use Audacity, but for some reason it now only lets me record through a microphone, not my sound card. So actually, if you know anything about why it would do that feel free to fill me in also, as I like Audacity except for that part now. Also, the program must be free to download, I'm too cheap and don't care enough to actually buy software like this. Any help is appreciated.

Kirobaito
09-30-2007, 10:35 PM
I use CDex.

CDex | Open Source Digital Audio CD Extractor with more than 32,000,000 downloads (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/)

It's technically a CD Ripper, but you can record from analog input, and just change your input settings from microphone to Wave Out Mix. You can't edit whatever you record.

Goldwave is like Audacity, but it's only a trial edition and runs out after like 1000 actions or something like that.

Renmiri
09-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Does that work in Vista ?

crono_logical
10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
If you open Volume Control (from the speaker icon in the tooltray) and go to Options > Properties and switch to Recording, you can choose which channel you record from on many soundcards - I select Wave Output Mixer on my laptop to allow recording any sound my machine makes :p

If it's streaming audio from the internet, Winamp might be able to do that for you if you play with either the output plugins or input plugins - the mpeg input plugin has an option in there to specifically record streams to the HD (at least in older Winamp versions) :p