PDA

View Full Version : External Troubles

NeoCracker
10-03-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm having issues with my external Hardrive. Its a Seagate FreeAgent Pro, 320 GB.

The light on it comes on when the power is to it and the computer, however the Laptop isn't reading that its plugged in.

It reads other things plugged into the USB, however it doesn't want to register my External.

IT worked on my last computer, and all may data from it is on there.

Any Ideas?

Baloki
10-03-2007, 10:41 AM
It's either a driver issue or a USB speed issue. Have you tried it in a different USB port? Also has it tried to install previously but failed halfway through or such?

o_O
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Like Baloki, my guess would be that it's a driver problem. You should try manually removing/installing the driver if possible. Are you able to try the drive on another PC? That would tell you for sure if it's the drive or the computer causing trouble.

rubah
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
mine is pretty picky about wanting to turn on, something to do if you ever get it to be recognized again is to make sure you always 'eject' it ('safely remove usb device'). It will be happier.

NeoCracker
10-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I've tried it on 3 different computers, and this one is brand new, so I dought its the comp.

ITs entirly possible its the Cord like my brother thinks. I've tried it on all 3 of the USB ports on this thing, and nothing.

And no, its never failed halfway through instalation.

Discord
10-05-2007, 05:43 PM
If it works on the other PCs it's not the cord. Must be the driver. Which OS are you operating on?

NeoCracker
10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
The other 3 comps it didnt' work on either.

And ITs Vista Home Edition.

Discord
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Could be the cord or the drive. You really can't tell in this case. If you have any or know somebody who might have a similar cord, ask them if you can use it for a weekend. Other than that, there's really no way of knowing.

Out of pure curiosity, why do you think it's the cord?

NeoCracker
10-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, 3 other computers it isn't working on, so I doubt its the comp.

It worked on my old one, but the External hasn't been used since I backed everything up on it.

Mostly I'm hoping its just the Cord, and not actually my External.