PDA

View Full Version : A few questions, Wii Internet related.

KentaRawr!
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm looking for a Wireless Router compatible with the Wii, which is relatively affordable, or at least a list of Wireless Routers officially compatible with the Wii.

Also, I've heard that some WiiWare games have finally started coming out on the Wii Shop Channel. I was wondering exactly how many there are, and what they're like thus far.

And apparently some import games have been coming out for the Wii's Virtual Console, and I'm wondering that if they bear text, are they officially translated, or do they choose games that bear very little text? What games are available?

And finally, if you had to decide between SSX Blur and Mario Party 8 (As a fan of Mario Party 2 for the N64), which would you choose? Or would you not choose either of these at all, and get an Online Wii Game?

Thanks very much in advance to those whom answer.

Rostum
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Most decent wireless routers work fine. My Netgear DG834Gv3 works great.

I'm not sure what SSX Blur is like, but from what I've seen and heard about Mario Party 8 -- you'd better off waiting for the next one, as it'll probably improve on the Wiimote a lot more, as well as better graphics and features. (I heard Mario Party 8 was pretty much just a last minute thing to adapt to the Wiimote)

Virtual Console has some cool games, though a little overpriced in my opinion. I wouldn't get NES games, maybe a few SNES games (Mario World, Zelda:LTTP).

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Before I got my Wii, I had a Belkin Wireless G Router ver. 6000tt, all I had to do was update the firmware and it worked fine after that.

JKTrix
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I've had 2 Dlink wireless routers and they've both worked fine with the Wii (and the PS3 and the 360). I haven't tried any online games yet with the Wii, so I can't say how the performance is.

I don't think any 'WiiWare' (as in non-nintendo created software) is out yet, besides the Internet browser. As far I know the first one is due out in March.

There are only 2 'import games' out right now, Super Mario Bros 2 (the real one, AKA "Lost Levels") for the NES and Treasure's 'Sin & Punishment' for the N64. They're both action games, so as far as I know text isnt an issue. In the case of Mario, well you've played 2D mario before. You don't need text. Sin & Punishment is a shooter (Treasure is famous for their shooters, like Ikaruga and Astro Boy on the GBA), which apparently had English voice acting in its original Japanese release. As all Virtual Console games are approved by Nintendo, all text translations present are 'official'. Honestly it was a total surprise that these 'import' games were released (first in Australia of all places), so I wouldn't count on there being very many more of these. Especially RPGs. Both Mario Bros 2 and Sin & Punishment cost a little more than their same-system counterparts, likely due to the extra effort needed in translations.

As for SSX vs Mario Party, I'd personally choose neither. I guess since you're a fan of Mario Party you should go with that, but I feel WarioWare is a more exciting party game if you don't already have that.

Skyblade
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
As long as we're asking Wii Internet questions, can someone tell me how to hook up my Wii's internet connection? I couldn't find any instructions in the box, and I really need to get this set up, since the addition of games never before released outside Japan is a likely prelude to the release of the original Fire Emblems, which is something I do not intend to miss.

JKTrix
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Like I mentioned in my previous post, I highly doubt we'll be getting very many imports, especially RPGS (of which Fire Emblem is one). If they were going to put a whole lot of effort into translating a text-heavy RPG, I'm pretty sure they'd make it a real physical release where they can make more money off of it.

That said, I would be delighted if they do in fact release more quality imports. I just don't see it happening much. Everybody buy Sin & Punishment so Nintendo knows we want this stuff.

As far as setting up the connection, the first/easiest thing you'll need is a wireless router. Then, in the Wii settings, there is something to do with Network or Internet connections that will scan for wireless networks. Once it finds yours, if you have a password or something on it you can input it in there, and that's it. It's pretty easy once you have what you need and know where to look.

Wireless router is the key.

Skyblade
10-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Like I mentioned in my previous post, I highly doubt we'll be getting very many imports, especially RPGS (of which Fire Emblem is one). If they were going to put a whole lot of effort into translating a text-heavy RPG, I'm pretty sure they'd make it a real physical release where they can make more money off of it.

That said, I would be delighted if they do in fact release more quality imports. I just don't see it happening much. Everybody buy Sin & Punishment so Nintendo knows we want this stuff.

As far as setting up the connection, the first/easiest thing you'll need is a wireless router. Then, in the Wii settings, there is something to do with Network or Internet connections that will scan for wireless networks. Once it finds yours, if you have a password or something on it you can input it in there, and that's it. It's pretty easy once you have what you need and know where to look.

Wireless router is the key.

Thanks for the setup info, I shouldn't have much trouble then.

But let me get my hopes up before you shoot them down, 'kay? :)

JKTrix
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Better to be shot down while you're still flying low. Hopes are stupid, especially when you can actually do something about it.

Buy Sin & Punishment, that's the easiest way to show Nintendo your interest in having more imported games. (And obviously buy Fire Emblem, to show specific interest in the game)

Then beg Nintendo incessantly to get old Fire Emblems on there, pointing to Sin & Punishment that you have bought, saying you will support such future releases. Then recruit more people to do it. Honestly I'd join you if you were to do that, despite my low interest in Fire Emblem (and despite the fact that I know translated ways to play old FE games already) because I feel it's a series worth bringing out.

But I still wouldn't get my hopes up. To Nintendo, it's surely not worth it.

Skyblade
10-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I was figuring that this was just the start of Nintendo's importing trend. If it was, it'd make sense to start with popular games that required very little translation. Get them put out, get the interest up, then they can follow up with games that take a bit more effort while America is enjoying the first couple.

KentaRawr!
10-04-2007, 01:09 AM
Well, I got a Netgear Wireless Router (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2504191&cp=&sr=1&origkw=netgear&kw=netgear&parentPage=search), and somehow, it doesn't seem to be working. I do the usual stuff; I plug the Modem to the Router, plug the router to the modem, etc. Essentially, my set-up (With RoadRunner Cable Internet service) is that the Cable goes into the modem, supplying intarwebz. Then, a cable goes from the modem to wherever I need said intarwebz, in this case, my Netgear Wireless Router (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2504191&cp=&sr=1&origkw=netgear&kw=netgear&parentPage=search). However, whenever I look for an Access Point utilizing the Wii, I merely get all the Neighbor's Internet Connections. (I live in a Circle.) I've made sure that they are the neighbor's connections by un-plugging my router, and then re-checking what connections are found, and they proved to me that the Wii was not detecting my router. Now, keep in mind, that the Router and the Wii are merely 1 hollow wall and a door-way apart.

So, at this point, all I can assume is that I either got a router that was in-compatible with my Wii (Which I doubt), or the modem (Which does periodically stop working when connected to our computer, which it is connected to now) has some trouble with our modem. Or, the most common, I made some sort of glaring mistake whilst setting up this router. I'll keep at it for now.

*Sigh*... I r sad.

Edit: This, by far, is THE most GLORIOUS moment of my life. My mother couldn't get it to work the last time we tried, my older brother couldn't the last time we tried, and I, FINALLY, have SET UP A ****ING WIRELESS ROUTER!!

And I feel like kicking myself at the same time. I had to run an installation disc on my computer FIRST. Since the computer is hooked up to the Router, you can set up the router through your computer. That's what all 3 of us had been forgetting all this time. We had it hooked up and everything, and yet, we never, ever, used the disc.

I win at life, and lose at the same time.

I'm off to download Sin and Punishment for my actions.

Rostum
10-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Wireless is an extreme pain in the butt to set up, especially when you have no idea about how it works (i.e. a lot of people). Though lately they are starting to get automated installation discs (like my girlfriend's Belkin).

I hate wireless.