PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Books that you Hate

Evastio
10-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Is there any books out there that you absolutely hate even though practically everyone else likes that book? Instructions Manuals, Magazines, and Non Fictional literature don't count. Only mention fictional books.

Also let's not mention books about religeons like the Greek Gods and Buddhism. We don't want to offend anyone by putting down their religeon.

Bunny
10-04-2007, 12:35 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Rigney_sandiego.jpg

Anything by this man.

Miriel
10-04-2007, 12:42 AM
I have an intense and unyielding hatred of the Da Vinci Code. HATE.

It's the only book I've ever physically assaulted.

Tavrobel
10-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Scarlet Letter. It's not very good, yet it's a classic piece of literature.

rubah
10-04-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm not sure if great expectations counts as overrated, but man.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Venom
10-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Books suck.

Ashley Schovitz
10-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Books are the base of the current forms of mostly all televised entertainment nowadays, but I say that there really isn't any because there are so few people nowadays that read and the only ones that get a great deal of attention are the Harry Potter series and the Da Vinci Code about one or two years ago, books just aren't quite as popular.

I think that Catch-22 was a best seller, but I couldn't hardly read any of it, the story seemed exploded with everyone just calling each other crazy and stuff. i didn't really get it, but I suppose that's on my fault.

CelestialStarDust
10-04-2007, 01:49 AM
i really hated the da vinci code and the time machine....and treasure island.i read them when i was little,when my mother told me i would like them most,and almost flushed time machine down the toilet....

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
10-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Harry Pott--*gets shot*

Spammerman
10-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Harry Pott--*gets shot*

Avada Kedrava'd actually.

Ouch!
10-04-2007, 03:28 AM
I think that Catch-22 was a best seller, but I couldn't hardly read any of it, the story seemed exploded with everyone just calling each other crazy and stuff. i didn't really get it, but I suppose that's on my fault.
That's absolutely blasphemy, Major Major.

Karellen
10-04-2007, 03:37 AM
The only two highly regarded books that I can ever remember getting the "holy crap why am I reading this" vibe off are The Fellowship of the Ring and A Clockwork Orange. Not that they were necessarily awful mind you, just really not worth the effort.

Madame Adequate
10-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Damnit, in after LotR :(

Never been a fan of Dickens. He has some fantastic passages, but overall, I've never felt his stuff to add up to anything special.

Seraphic
10-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Heart Of Darkness.
Every Literature college professor would go all crazy at the mention of this book,but I found it completely,utterly,and abysmally boring.

Araciel
10-04-2007, 04:19 AM
the bible

owait..

dark elf books.

Vermachtnis
10-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Damnit, in after LotR :(

Never been a fan of Dickens. He has some fantastic passages, but overall, I've never felt his stuff to add up to anything special.

QFT! David Copperfield had nothing to do with the magician.

Seriously though, Great Expectations was not all the great.

Yamaneko
10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
The Great Gatsby.

Resha
10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Harry Potter series. That being said, I do read them :p and I wouldn't say I hate them, because they're kinda interesting and worth reading like once or twice. But on the whole I just get the "I-wanna-punch-Joanna-Kathleen-Rowling-in-the-fucking-face" vibe from them. They're so completely overrated it's not funny; it's sick. It's actually yuck. What makes it yuck is that you have a generation of people comparing it to stuff like LoTR and all. Which is blasphemous.

And "Memoirs of a Geisha". That book was torture. I'll be fucked if it went anywhere and meant anything at the end of four hundred and twenty-eight pages. It was pretentious, and it tried so hard to be "deep", it was actually laughable.

41-Inches-Wide
10-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I've never been a big fan of bestseller books... But I read Da Vinci code and ugh! It was crappy and such a big know-it-all-book... Such a know-it-all-author...
I read da Vinci code as supplementary reading to holy blood holy grail, last temptation, dead sea scrolls bbl,and templar revelations. Not that these are like the greatest books ever, but the author made this know-it-all character who spouts data, quotes directly from other books and as if he discovered it all on his own.

Gahh.

Germ Hamee
10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
The Lord of the Rings -- I appreciate what it did for fantasy literature, and I respect it for what it is. The movies did a fantastic job of cutting out the crap and making it ten times more exciting than the books ever managed to be. Now that we have those, the books can just disappear already, as far as I'm concerned. Its work here is done now.

Harry Potter -- Riddikulus is right.

Also, Terry Goodkind and his stupid Sword of Truth. The first two books were AWESOME. Why he had to destroy the series by going on and on about his philosophies is one of the greatest tragedies to befall fantasy.

The Inheritance Trilogy -- AKA Eragon and it's spawn. If you ever want to read a badly written series that's full of clichés and written by a rich brat, then grab Eragon as soon as you possibly can. :D

Peegee
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
I have heard people ranting about how utterly amazing the LOTR books were. I tried to read 'The Two Towers' after 'Fellowship' came out in the theaters. About 6-8 chapters (and these are long chapters) later, all I know was this:

- people are missing
- Legolas gets all his arrows from scavenging dead corpses
- nothing else

So I said nuts to this and put the book down. I've since found that the narrative is identically slow the entire book. Also they spend an entire chapter trying to find the plant that can heal you if you get stabbed by the ringwraith lord that I can't remember the name of

Yawn.

Jon Thompson
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I have heard people ranting about how utterly amazing the LOTR books were. I tried to read 'The Two Towers' after 'Fellowship' came out in the theaters. About 6-8 chapters (and these are long chapters) later, all I know was this:

- people are missing
- Legolas gets all his arrows from scavenging dead corpses
- nothing else

So I said nuts to this and put the book down. I've since found that the narrative is identically slow the entire book. Also they spend an entire chapter trying to find the plant that can heal you if you get stabbed by the ringwraith lord that I can't remember the name of

Yawn.

I read the LOTR books (minus Fellowship) and they were pretty boring. Then again, it was written 60 years ago. Long chapters? Those books were only around 400 pages each. Not very long at all. Read 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King if you want a long book that is much, much better than anything else out there fantasy wise.

I can't believe I seen books like 'The Scarlet Letter' on here. Sure it was slow and druged on but to say it was a bad book is outrageous. It was written what, 200 years ago? Of course it's going to be slow. It was very well written and besides the few first chapters I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Harry Potter has to be the worst. I'll never read one of those books. EVER. I saw the first two movies and thought they were pretty retarded. 'but they are not like the books' I might be told but that doesn't matter. If I don't like the movies which are shells of the books why would I enjoy the books? Kids with wands and casting spells is not my idea of cool, deep or enjoyable. If I wanted to see spells being cast I'd play Final Fantasy.

scrumpleberry
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Harry Potter is very overated: but I do love the books. The same goes for LoTR.

I didn't like the Inheritance trilogy. Jane Eyre ughhhhhhhh. I don't mind older literature (I liked Tess of D'Ubervilles, but I can't remember what happened) but this book I wanted to scream with boredom. For kids books, Artemis Fowl has a very pretentious feeling. I find it a bit sickening, actually. Jaqueline Wilson's stuff for girls is also a bit rubbish, but she's cited as one of the best children's authors out there. (Anne Fine is much better.)

I won't read Da Vinci Code on principle, because the whole aura surrounding it is trying to be intelligent and cutting edge but just comes off as cheesy, and apparently it's a complete rip off of another book whose name I cannot remember.

I Took the Red Pill
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
The Great Gatsby.

Also, books about Greek Gods and Buddhism.

Elite Lord Sigma
10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Nothing, really. Except for maybe The Catcher in the Rye. Don't get me wrong, it's a very well-written book, but the plot drags and makes little sense at certain points.

LunarWeaver
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
This will invite much wrath, but I didn't really dig To Kill a Mockingbird that much. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I just didn't lick it and cuddle with it at night like most people do. I get yelled at constantly for disliking it, and I've had people full out throw a tantrum and refuse to talk to me for days over it. :Oo:

I Took the Red Pill
10-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Scarlet Letter.

A Clockwork Orange

Never been a fan of Dickens.

The Catcher in the Rye.

To Kill a MockingbirdI didn't read this thread at all before my first post, and I respect your opinions and all (not really) but you guyz are making me cry right now. :aimmeh:

blackmage_nuke
10-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Probably the only book ive read and didnt like was catcher in the rye. But thats probably because i was forced to read it. (other wise i wouldnt have read it). I if wanted insight on the society or humanity or whatever these books are meant to teach us when we make up lies about "analyse" them in english i wouldve read a text book on psycology or a history book.

Othello wasnt that great either but thats not so much a book than a play so maybe it's meant to be seen and not read

Deborah
10-05-2007, 01:00 AM
I like Catcher in the Rye!!
Arg...I do not like the Great Gatsby!! Dumb love triangles! :mad2:
Also I think Stephen King is very overrated!

Jon Thompson
10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
I like Catcher in the Rye!!
Arg...I do not like the Great Gatsby!! Dumb love triangles! :mad2:
Also I think Stephen King is very overrated!

What Stephen King have you read. As someone whos read over half of his works I could tell you if you've read good or bad works of his. Also, Stephen King writes for telling stories not great literature. He knows he isn't an amazing author he just loves telling stories. No one can tell a story like Stephen King. There is a reason he's a huge as he is for as long as he has been. The characters he develops, the ideas he has and his uncanny ability to pace a story. He's no Faulkner, Steinbeck or even Asimov but he's is the best at what he does and that is pop fiction. Hell, many people thinks he writes only horror but has written a variety of things. You'd be surprised the amount of people who are plain shocked that he wrote 'Stand By Me' and 'The Shawshank Redemption'. Any one who loves fantasy (I don't really) would love The Dark Tower. If you enjoyed the journey to Mordor in Lord of the Rings then you would love the journey to The Dark Tower; it's a journey through time, space, parallel dimensions and minds. I'd say it's about the most original thing ever written. There is also now a Marvel - Dark Tower graphic novel out now but I've yet to read it.

Sorry, trying to get as many people to read The Dark Tower as possible. I've gotten three people to read it and have loved it and they've convinced more people to read it. Fanbases on the internet label people who read the series 'Tower Junkie' because just about anyone who reads them once will read them twice.

Karellen
10-05-2007, 05:58 AM
I didn't read this thread at all before my first post, and I respect your opinions and all (not really) but you guyz are making me cry right now. :aimmeh:
If it's any consolation, I really like the movie.

Spawn of Sephiroth
10-05-2007, 07:09 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird. OMG that was such a lousy book.

ShunNakamura
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I can't really say much about books that were said to be good but actually stunk.

But Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are two book series that I think don't quite live up to the hype.

I Don't Need A Name
10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
i guess A Catcher In The Rye is one of those books that you either love or hate it
I'm surprised that Pride And Prejudice hasn't come up. I mean, its baisically plotless as it is. 'oohh, i need to get a husband' now lets spend over 40 chapters of dialogue taking the scenic route to the obvious ending :eep: teedium incarnate

Heath
10-09-2007, 01:06 AM
A Clockwork Orange

Never been a fan of Dickens.

To Kill a MockingbirdI didn't read this thread at all before my first post, and I respect your opinions and all (not really) but you guyz are making me cry right now. :aimmeh:

With those three, same here. Add Catch-22 to it as well.

The Great Gatsby gets my vote, simply not a fan of it. I enjoyed reading A Catcher in the Rye, but feel that it has a ridiculously high reputation for what it is.

Miriel
10-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Catcher in the Rye is seriously loved by so many people, and it's like, wtf?

I mean, yeah, it's alright but I agree with Heath that it has a RIDICULOUSLY high reputation. Ridiculous, you guys.

Resha
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I dunno. I guess people just feel like they can relate to Holden Caulfield. I know I sure did. :p Who doesn't go through a period of world-hating, anti-social teenage angst?

fire_of_avalon
10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Word.

The Great Gatsby.
What is wrong with you?!

Kingsfoil.

Nothing, really. Except for maybe The Catcher in the Rye. Don't get me wrong, it's a very well-written book, but the plot drags and makes little sense at certain points.
What is wrong with you?!

There are some of you people here, I swear. Makes me hurt inside.

Heath
10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
What is wrong with you?!

There are some of you people here, I swear. Makes me hurt inside.

I don't think we're saying that The Catcher in the Rye is necessarily a bad book, I just think it's very overrated.

I'd say that I'm not a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice but I fear I might have a spear thrown through my head. It's in the same category as The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby really: good books that are well written, but are really rather overrated and I didn't enjoy terribly.

Shiny
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM

This horrible book and A Tale of Two Cities.

Elite Lord Sigma
10-10-2007, 02:02 AM
What is wrong with you?!
[/QUOTE]
Nothing at all. I like the book, but I agree that it receives far more praise than it should. And when I said that the plot made no sense, I was referring to scenes such as when Holden takes Sally on a date.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Harry Potter 5-7

all Shakespeare and all Dickens

Enjolras
10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
It's probably been said, but The DaVinci Code was the lamest, and most insanely overrated book I've read in a long time.

Shlup
10-10-2007, 06:13 AM
The Great Gastby was boring as balls. But not the fun kind of balls, as that would be backwards from my meaning.

qwertysaur
10-10-2007, 06:46 AM
The Great Gastby was boring as balls. But not the fun kind of balls, as that would be backwards from my meaning.

Resha
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm going to add Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" to my list. It's a pretty good book -- but the hushed tones in which enthusiasts speak of it -- I can't understand why! If anything, he waffled a bit. I dunno =P maybe it's just me.

I think I'd appreciate it more if I studied it! It's usually like that. =) You get all whoa understanding the finer nuances of a book and then you start to love it.