PDA

View Full Version : Getting Zanmato To Work

Queen Anthai
10-04-2007, 01:37 AM
All right. I'm trying to kill all the bosses in the Monster Arena. I have Yojimbo at full Overdrive (and so is Yuna).

I went here (http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/cheats/PS2/finalfantasyx.html) to see how to get him to use Zanmato, and there are like...twelve different ways and they all say "OMG THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY FOR SURE!!!"

Yeah.

Anyway, I've done about a dozen or so resets trying over and over again to get ol' Jimmy to do Zanmato, and he's being very stubborn about it.

Is there any truly good way to do it?

Tavrobel
10-04-2007, 02:13 AM
A boatload of cash, and a patience for resets until you get it. Twelve resets isn't enough.

Alternatively, you can try to boost his affection rating by getting successive Wakizashis, which are the only things that boost his rating. Daigoro reduces it, and Kozuka does nothing. You could get one or two Wakizashis, save, and continue; reset if you get anything less than Kozuka. Over time and through this method, Zanmato should appear eventually, even if accidentally.

Once you actually get Zanmato, it becomes slightly easier the next time (Zanmato improves the affection rating). Depending on the version, it will be harder (NTSC, NTSC-J) or easier (PAL, Int'l).

As far as I know, Overdrive doesn't do anything. The only notable difference I've seen is that it makes Kozuka and Wakizashi attack all units on screen. I personally have never gotten Zanmato on Overdrive.

SeeDRankLou
10-04-2007, 08:03 AM
My advice is to use Yojimbo for a while. When he starts doing stuff by himself (i.e. you pay him for one turn, and the next turn he just performs an attack without being paid), your affection level should be high enough that Zanmato will likely work with a large chunk of change. And a dozen tries isn't enough, if he doesn't do it after...say....50, then you might need to do something else.

blackmage_nuke
10-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Yojimbo is more likely to perform Wakizashis and zanmato for less money on weaker enemies so if you want to boost your affection levels by letting him use these moves find someone weak to do it on

jeo2388
10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
and also, based on my observations, every creature in the monster arena has a certain "zanmato resistance". basically the stronger ones have higher resistance. but it doesnt mean you have to dish out milz of gils for them, patience and a bit of luck (not the stat) is what you need.. and like what the other guys said, you must make big jim like you very much..

cally777
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Overdrive definitely does make a difference, never attempt to go against a boss without it. You can make sure you do this by using Yuna's Great Summons which gives automatic full o.d.

My other advice is train Yojimbo by going against lesser arena monsters and making sure he does waki or zanmato to improve yr relationship with him. Repeat until u r tired of it, and SAVE. Then try again against a boss. NEVER EVER DONT PAY HIM OR SEND HIM AWAY OR LET HIM LOSE. Reset if this happens.

Hopefully if you are making progress u should be able to pay him less than 100,000 gil. I ended up paying him only 5000 but I do have the PAL version.

:choc::choc::choc:

No.78
10-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Or you could just not use Zanmato and play the game properly.

PuPu
10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Or you could just not use Zanmato and play the game properly.
Well, Zanmato is probably the only way that a person can beat a Magic Pot (excluding winning/losing their game). Okay, maybe not the only way, but it's the first that comes into my mind.

Vivisteiner
10-05-2007, 12:12 AM
It depends what version of the game.

On PAL, its piss easy to get Zanmato. I get it half the time. On NTSC its much harder, and requires a lot more money and luck.

Nifleheim7
10-05-2007, 11:21 AM
It depends what version of the game.

On PAL, its piss easy to get Zanmato. I get it half the time.

This is true.Especially if you use Yuna's overdrive and summon Yojimbo with great summon.If Yojimbo also has his overdrive full then it's 99% instant zanmato!

ScottNUMBERS
10-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Why use it? You'll Zanmato a monster at the arena and it will drop items, 100% of items are used to build your characters and make them stronger in one way or another, but what's the point of building your characters if you're just going to Zanmato everything!

The only thing that dies when you use Zanmato is the fun and the point of the game.

jeo2388
10-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Why use it? You'll Zanmato a monster at the arena and it will drop items, 100% of items are used to build your characters and make them stronger in one way or another, but what's the point of building your characters if you're just going to Zanmato everything!

The only thing that dies when you use Zanmato is the fun and the point of the game.

True.
But it is still a part of the game.
And besides, the animations of zanmato are awe-sum. *shhhkkkkling*poof!

cally777
10-08-2007, 09:45 PM

Taken to a logical conclusion, this is undoubtedly true. Which is why I only used Zanmato against one arena boss, Eartheater. To get Fortune spheres and triple overdrive weapons otherwise difficult to obtain at my characters levels. And other items to pay for all that Zanmatoing. It wasn't that easy...

And yes, I loved watching his head come off every time!

:choc::choc::choc:

No.78
10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Ok using Zanmato against stuff like Pots and because you're lazy in the battle arena is fair enough I suppose.

I'm just against the whole "I beat penance with yojimbo" type players.

ReloadPsi
10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I find Overdrive plus at least two thirds of your funds to be extremely reliable, but then I may have a better relationship with the guy than you do.

Also, "at least two thirds" tends to be a few million by the time I find myself trying for a Zanmato (usually when I've beaten Nemesis once already and feel too lazy to do it again)