PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of Beauty

Chemical
10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Dove (http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.ca/flat2.asp?id=6960)

Dove (http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.ca/bblank.asp?id=6942)

Fonzie
10-04-2007, 03:38 AM
Wow, I feel enlightened about the apparent peer pressure women feel to feel beautiful!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u280/jimgraz/The_More_You_Know.jpg

Breine
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
It's pure madness.

I just have to look at my little sister to see how it's spread. She's only 11 and she's already extremely obsessed about her looks - all girls her age seem to be. Her and her friends' perception of beauty is very distorted.. I guess it's becaue they don't know better, but when I and other people (e.g. my parents) try to talk to her about it she naturally won't listen to us because when everybody else her age thinks something is cool or pretty then that's just how it is *sigh*

Araciel
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
hahahah women.

41-Inches-Wide
10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I tried to edit my picture from asian into a caucasian, once. :(

I never would fit in the magazines like that woman. My face is so round, my eyes not like what they call 'smokey' eyes, I'm too small, tiny, short.

The western women is like the ideal. Like the standard of beauty even. Even our men love them. LOL what are we to do? :kaoclove:

Rye
10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
It's pure madness.

I just have to look at my little sister to see how it's spread. She's only 11 and she's already extremely obsessed about her looks - all girls her age seem to be. Her and her friends' perception of beauty is very distorted.. I guess it's becaue they don't know better, but when I and other people (e.g. my parents) try to talk to her about it she naturally won't listen to us because when everybody else her age thinks something is cool or pretty then that's just how it is *sigh*

I know how that goes. ;[

It's a really terrible feeling.

Old Manus
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
ITT women complain about looking good

EDIT: and pin the blame on men somewhere along the line

41-Inches-Wide
10-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Right on.

Peegee
10-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Nobody's ever thought of defending the established demand on male appearance though. Until I see some, I see no gender bias.

Loony BoB
10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I detest fashion.

Firstly, that women try so hard to be like the girls in women's magazines. Why? They're superthin. Do you really think that is going to impress the average male? Have you ever looked in a lad's mag? Guess what - the girls are curvy! The lad's mags mock the girls in women's magazines for being so thin. At least, the ones I read do. So don't go around saying this is all the fault of men, that we force women to look like those girls in magazines. This is of no fault of ours. I think every guy I know that has a girlfriend finds that girlfriend attractive, yet the girl will not say she is. So yeah, face up. It's yourselves that are doing this.

Second up, girls don't realise that whenever they moan about how they look, younger girls pick up on it and start to do the same. Women try to get their little baby girls wearing the latest fashion trends and they do them up like dolls. It's disgusting. Girls end up getting bullied because they can't afford the same clothes as the latest fashion! That's bloody ridiculous.

Finally, girls have no concept of their own beauty. They refuse to see it. Really. Most girls these days are quite attractive on some level. But they go around complaining that they're 'fat'. Look, women. Unless you can honestly tell your friend who is just the same size or larger than you that she is fat, you aren't fat. Don't give yourself double standards like that. Not only is it detrimental to your own health, it's a pain in the arse for all men out there.

If you're genuinely fat - and I'm talking proper fat, not "oh, I'm fat, but my friends weigh more than me and they're not fat at all" - go to a gym and lose weight. Facial features are purely a matter of personal opinion, as many people have shown to me judging by the many debates I've had with people over whether someone is good looking to us or not. Some people like freckles, some people like tall noses, some people like tiny noses, some people like curly hair, some people like straight hair, some people like short girls, some people like tall girls... you get the idea.

This is a HUGE peeve of mine. I can't stand how women are with themselves sometimes.

Jess
10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Anybody who wants to look like the women in magazines need to remember that they're not real, they are edited & airbrushed to look perfect. :jess:

Old Manus
10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
BoB >= God

Bunny
10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
ITT: BoB destroys everyone with intelligence.

The Last Oath
10-04-2007, 02:33 PM
BoB >= God

agreed

Rengori
10-04-2007, 03:02 PM

I never would fit in the magazines like that woman. My face is so round, my eyes not like what they call 'smokey' eyes, I'm too small, tiny, short.

The western women is like the ideal. Like the standard of beauty even. Even our men love them. LOL what are we to do? :kaoclove:
Move to America. White people like Asian women.

cloud21zidane16
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
BoB >= God

agreed

:up:

Peegee
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
The only thing I disagree with BoB's post is that some people are genetically predisposed to be overweight, and it's either very very hard or straight up impossible without 'supplementary surgery' to resolve the 'problem'.

He brings up an excellent point about the double standard of thinking one's fat when equally proportioned peers do not suffer the same mockery though. I've never thought of that.

Loony BoB
10-04-2007, 04:16 PM
The only thing I disagree with BoB's post is that some people are genetically predisposed to be overweight, and it's either very very hard or straight up impossible without 'supplementary surgery' to resolve the 'problem'.
Well, these are exceptional circumstances, obviously. I mean, people tend to not look attractive when they're throwing up and are covered in the measles, too, but I'm not going to go out of my way for conditions and diseases. :p Most people don't fit into that category.

Jojee
10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I think Xandy posted a thread a long time ago about how much touching up and photoshopping models' pictures go through before they hit the magazines. It was a <i>huge</i> difference. Yeah, sorry guys, most people actually don't look like that in real life :</>D It's a LIE.

Yamaneko
10-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Who's at fault here? Stupid individuals. Capitalism wins every time.

Vivisteiner
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM

You're not being serious are you?

Thats not true at all. At least not for me, lol.

Nominus Experse
10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
We need more curvaceous women in this world.

Additionally, more curves means more boob and ass...

theundeadhero
10-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I wonder how handsome I would be if someone photoshopped me?

Shiny
10-04-2007, 09:06 PM
The only way to conquer this is to assume everyone else's subjective opinion of what's beautiful is wrong. Alot of insecurity about looks, or anything for that matter tends to be caused by the comments and expectations of others. Physically speaking, it doesn't really matter what you look look like as long as you're healthy. Therefore, (in my opinion) anorexia/bulimia is not attractive.

Miriel
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
My research paper for my Social Statistics class last semester was about photo manipulation and general perceptions of idealized beauty. But I basically BSed my way through it so I don't really have any insight to share!

Marshall Banana
10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
I've always thought that mothers are worse than men.

Deborah
10-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I've always thought that mothers are worse than men.

I agree. Darn mom! :(

Iceglow
10-05-2007, 01:35 AM
BoB I could QFT. Women decide they're ugly ect and you know something last time I had a girl say "I'm ugly" once I'd complimented her looks I immediately decided to try something new and went with it changed my mind so to speak just said "Yeah actually, I see what you mean...you are ugly!" strangely that didn't go down too well with her. I'm going to say it now once and only once: "Women of the damn world...when a guy or anyone for that matter tells you you are pretty/beautiful/cute don't stand there and say 'no I'm not! I'm ugly!' because you sure as hell won't like it if they then agree with you. Instead simply show some graciousness and say 'Thankyou.' then if it's true perhaps add a compliment on there 'you know you're not too bad yourself' works well...lifes a lot nicer and a lot more rewarding when you think like that."

JerseyMage
10-05-2007, 01:36 AM
I prefer to see girls without makeup and the like. People should stop watching shows like "Americas Next Top Model", those women aren't pretty in my opinion.

Chemical
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Who's at fault here? Stupid individuals. Capitalism wins every time.

Indeed

At this point its not the fault of men or women who create these images; they're just advertising a product and giving in to popular demand which is thinner, smoother, younger, tighter.

It's totally cool if you want to wear makeup and look pretty but at the same time its important to not become a victim of the system; of course it's hard not to compare yourself with images that are so saturated in the media... but it's important to look at ideals knowledgably.

A lot of girls don't feel good about themselves, and I'm sorry but not all women are beautiful; I think its fair to have standards on personal image.

You should care for yourself, you should eat healthy, you should strive for a physically fit body, you should have healthy hair, heealthy nails, healthy skin.

The important thing is not to strive to be something or someone that that doesn't exist.

But I believe everyone should strive to better themselves physically, emotionally and mentally.

PS Aicha
You're totally cute
I know lots of boys who would like to meet you!

It's weird though - here, I notice most asians kinda stay in their own racial groups and date mostly other asians :i
I alsways had a thing for asians - rawr - but I'm just a silly geishan.

Peegee
10-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I used to hang out in 'asian' online communities and there's a line of rhetoric which tends to complain that either there's an anti-asian sentiment, albeit not explicit, or that they lack pop-culture...exposure (ie there are very few pop-culture stars of asian descent and/or such people are not as predominant). I tend to think of such rhetoric as defeatist, so I am a pretty terrible person to qualify what I'm saying :p

That doesn't change that I feel I have to try harder to maintain the same social standing. I don't care much any more, but it was a pretty odd wall I ran into since I had thought after all this time in Canada we're over all this asian negativity. Bleh.

I'd start a thread but it would be flamebait no matter how I did it.

41-Inches-Wide
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Anyway what I said was just a reaction to the 'Beauty Debate', since yes I felt the pressure, well honestly even up until now, of not even remotely looking caucasian.xD The beauty of caucasian women are the standard of what most are dying to follow.
I don't have pretty gray- green eyes and a strong jawline, or defined cheekbones and all other stuff that faces of magazines are showing me. I feel really awkward, knowing that what's beautiful for others I don't even have.

And everybody here loves American women! And also, you American bombshells stop seducing our men.xD lol its bad enough as it is. xDDDDD

Rengori
10-05-2007, 09:14 PM
And everybody here loves American women! And also, you American bombshells stop seducing our men.xD lol its bad enough as it is. xDDDDD

Tell your women to stop seducing all the American men! xD

Peegee
10-05-2007, 09:37 PM

Tell your women to stop seducing all the American men! xD

Stop making stuff up. I still haven't found somebody to date, so that I can find out after a month that dating somebody is teh sux.

:cry:

xD no seriously, what the hale?

Zeldy
10-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Its terrible sometimes growing up as a teenage girl, girls can be bitches, so everyone competes to look the best. I know of girls who are buliemic, and some who'll eat a burger and then say "right, im not eating all weekend" just so they can get thin. Its horrid, but it happens. The most Ive gone without food was without breakfast, I just got too hungry and gave in.

You see women in mass media looking thin and gorgeous, and it makes you feel like crap pretty much.

Captain Maxx Power
10-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Funny. When I have to look at pictures of rugged, tall men with perfect figures and feel completely inadequate and detest myself intensely, people just tell me to stop being so silly. Evidently possessing a Y-chromosome makes you immune to physical criticism and self-deprecation.

I would talk about this whole "Campaign for beauty" rubbishy trash trash, but I'd probably be shouted down by every womans here, so I won't. I will say I find it as shallow as the model-based campaigns, deceptively more underhanded and outright more despicable.

Chemical
10-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Funny. When I have to look at pictures of rugged, tall men with perfect figures and feel completely inadequate and detest myself intensely, people just tell me to stop being so silly. Evidently possessing a Y-chromosome makes you immune to physical criticism and self-deprecation.

I would talk about this whole "Campaign for beauty" rubbishy trash trash, but I'd probably be shouted down by every womans here, so I won't. I will say I find it as shallow as the model-based campaigns, deceptively more underhanded and outright more despicable.

Deffinately
We still live in a time when "big boys don't cry."

sometimes its terrible growing no matter who you are.

Proxy
10-07-2007, 04:09 PM
BoB Wins.
Skinny skinny girls are disgusting and not attractive in the least.
I like my girls with a little meat. Healthy looking.
I hate how girls feel pressured to think they should look like nicole ritchie, or paris hilton. It's disgusting. Hollywood sucks.

Shlup
10-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I love these sorts of things.

daggertrepe
10-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Wow, that is seriously messed up.

NeoTifa
10-08-2007, 02:00 AM
for a woman not to feel pretty, thats just torture! ive never obsessed about my looks. i have a pudge, i would change that if i didnt love food and mountain dew so much, but i dont mind. i think extremely skinny girls are disgusting! ive always been comfortatble in my own skin. im naturally pretty, and i hardly ever wear makeup (expecially in the summer. foundation + sweat + restaurant grease (work) = clogged pours = zits!) i am starting a diet tomorrow, but its only because im worried about my eligibility for the air force. im tall, so its distributed :)

stressing out about how other people find you only destroys your teenage years. i hang out w/ girls (and boys) who dont really care and they just seem happier than the girls who weigh 110 pounds and think they need to lose some. i know im sexy :P and i dont care if i have a couple extra pounds. its not like im fat. sure, i dont wear bikinis, i do have some self respect, but seriously. its the personality that counts. i dont wear makeup often, im not anorexic, i dont look like paris hilton, but i still have tons of guys after me. confedence is what attracts most guys i found out.

fashion, dont get me started. im a jeans, t-shirt, chucks kinda gal and i love it! comfy, practical, matches no matter what, and its just awesomeness!!! i go to school still, and i see all the girls walking around, practically clones of eachother. wheres the individuality? the character? every one has the same dooney and bourke bag, designer shoes, chanel glasses, hollister clothes. jeez, no people, just clones! and all their clothes are so tight! they could be suffocating! i like to be comfy. im there to get a good (well, as best as i could get anyway) education. i dont care about fashion. its superfluous.