PDA

View Full Version : 6 sided torture

blackmage_nuke
10-04-2007, 11:08 AM
So i needed a new rubiks cube after my last one crumbled to peices and putting it back together was a puzzle in itself, but the things cost $29 or something so instead i decided to buy a sudoku cube for $10 and get some coloured stickers for $2 to put on it

Anyway the coloured stickers only had 5 coulours, but that wasnt a problem because i could just leave one of the sides to have numbers.

Now prior to this i assumed that when ever a cube is fixed all the squares return to their original positions, in that the way it is when its fixed at one time will be exactly the same as it is when its fixed again.

However this is not entirely the case, when i fixed the cube once i found that the 7 on the numbered side was upside down, then when i decided to fix it again it was side ways, and this pretty much happens for reasons beyond my knowledge.

Topic 1: So hypothetically i should be able to spin the centre to be right way up, and the question i ask in case anyone has a degree of mathematics from the university of pointless genius is how do i spin the centre square to be right way up? This is probably not a conventional rubiks cube question as cubes all being coloured tend to not be noticed when squares are upside down, so its a bit of a challenge.

Topic 2: Who here can fix a rubiks cube and how long does it take you?
At the moment it takes me about 5 minutes

Topic 2.5: if you feel like talking about how much you hate these cubes feel free to do so

41-Inches-Wide
10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I was near tears borne out of frustration when I tried the sudoku.
I was all like god im so stupid for this :kaoclove: then gave it to a friend instead

Jess
10-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't own a rubiks cube. I completed one once and then I felt no need to do it again. :jess:

Momiji
10-05-2007, 04:19 AM
My cousin can solve those things in nothing flat. However, I'm terrible with them and I end up having more fun throwing it than solving it.

oddler
10-05-2007, 05:11 AM
If you look at the corners, there should be three colors/numbers/flavors that are adjacent. These can't change because no matter where you move that block, it will always have the same configuration on it. This leads me to believe that there is only one way to solve it and that the only way to see a number sideways like you said is to flip the entire cube on its side. :tongue:

I have no idea, though. Just a guess.