PDA

View Full Version : Do you also tend to speed-play your video games?

Peter_20
10-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Personally I tend to, as I like to call it, "speed-play" my games every time I play them; this particularly goes for RPG's.
Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 10 (again :rolleyes2), and while I usually feel the need to play every major optional cutscene and talk to everyone, this time I only do "miss-able" things, like getting unique items and getting physical menu screen stuff that disappear later on (this includes the blitzer Durren as well).

It actually feels very nice.
It's just like speed-reading: you hurry through things without losing the feel for the game.

ReloadPsi
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Platformers only. And FF7 too, only because I've completed it oh so many times.

Evastio
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
If games have a timer that tell you how long you've been playing I do try to avoid wasting time unneccessarily in a game. Games with timers like that always give me the feeling that I'm going to get ranked at how fast I went though the game at the end of it. It also helps make my times look good when others ask me how fast I finished the game.

ljkkjlcm9
10-07-2007, 07:54 PM
no, I take my time playing games, because I rarely have time to play a game twice, and I don't want to miss anything. If I'm not too far into a game and I missed something, I'll even restart it. Did that recently wiping 5 hours of gameplay I already had on a game.

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
It really depends. In most games that I've played quite a few times, it's pretty easy to speed through them, since I already know what to do and what's necessary or not. I've never really attempted a true speed run before, though.

KoShiatar
10-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't tend to speed run, even in games I've completed more than once (which are a few anyway). I like to take my time and get all the bonuses.

oddler
10-07-2007, 08:58 PM
I've only recently started speeding through games. My first was FFVII and now I'm trying Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Shlup
10-07-2007, 09:10 PM
It depends on how much I like the game. With most RPGs I just do the minimal and stick to the main story. If I'm into the story, I'll do some more. For Neverwinter Nights I did everything.

Madame Adequate
10-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Depends on the game. I don't often speedrun the whole thing, but I might speedrun a particular section/race/etc. (Obviously if it is a racing game, it's DESIGNED to be speed-ran).

edczxcvbnm
10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Is there any other way to play games?

Tasura
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I tend to speed through a game my first time to see the story, but after that I go through it slow and try and get everything.

Rostum
10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Nope.

Markus. D
10-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I'll just play it, whatever happens happens :]

Dreddz
10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Games ive played before I usually keep a quick pace while going through but this isnt on purpose, and I generally dont go through games set on going through them as fast as possible.

I am however attempting my first speedrun with Resident Evil soon, just need to get my feng shui right before doing so.

Elite Lord Sigma
10-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Completionism is more accuare to what I do, unless you get something for clearing the game quickly.

blackmage_nuke
10-09-2007, 12:15 AM
I tried to speed run a game once but i couldnt help stopping to see one good scene, then another, and another, until i forgot what i was doing and played the game normally

Rengori
10-09-2007, 12:42 AM
No, I usually just end up replaying a game a lot faster than I did the first time because I know what I'm doing and I'm too lazy to do extra stuff.

Peter_20
10-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Please note that I'm not talking about Speed Runs, I'm talking about being thorough AND fast at the same time. :p

For example, I always make sure to get every single treasure chest there is to get in FF10, but I also do it very quickly.

Heath
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I've never really felt the need to, really. Never even bothered to try and get Excalibur II in FFIX, actually. I have raced through Sonic 2 against a friend of mine just to see who could do it the fastest, but that's about it.

Kossage
10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, I take my time playing games when I play them for the first time because I want to experience everything. However, if I play a game through a second time, it depends on the game itself whether I speed-play through it or not. :p

Lynx
10-14-2007, 01:55 AM
i try to make it through games as quickly as possible on as low a level as possible with as much stuff as possible. that way it shows how good i am at the game. in those times i read everything too and never use guides. after ive beaten i go after sidequests and take my sweet time.

now when the right game strikes my intrest i speed run as well only SNES games though.

JackNapier
10-14-2007, 03:45 AM
I tend to take my time with games, and enjoy everything that's been put into them.

Breine
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
No, not really. I really like to take my time when playing games, and get as many impressions as possible. Especially when it's RPGs like Final Fantasy.. completing a game like that can take me ages, but that's how I enjoy doing it.

Jess
10-16-2007, 05:47 PM
I like to take my time playing games. The only time I'll rush a game is to find a save point to save because I want to stop playing~

Nifleheim7
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Exploration is one of my favorite aspects in a game,so it's natural that i take my time and try to explore everything (i'm talking about RPG's,Action,Adventure games).

Bolivar
10-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I tend to lose the feel for the game really easily when I just play through it, I like to really immerse myself in the world and enjoy the experience, especially the FF's with all they have to offer.