PDA

View Full Version : Interview with a software cracker

MecaKane
10-08-2007, 05:53 PM
For some bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: Ethics in Computers class I have to take I have to do a project, and I'm doing it on DRMs and the like. Hopefully proving that it's unethical to put restrictions on software, music, and movies (among other things) because it's so easy to break the protection that it only causes problems for people who don't go around them (i.e. the "good guys"). That would be where an interview with a software cracker would come in. Anyone who knows where I could find some who would probably help me out, let me know. Or else I'm fuxed! ;(

Baloki
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Have a look on Slashdot and Digg where theres already alot of articals and interviews on the subject, maybe something on there can help, else try asking cl_out :p?

o_O
10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
If you want just basic information, and don't require a cracker who is part of a group that makes proper releases, you could use me? I couldn't give any insight to the cracker "ethos", but I do know the mechanics behind a few cracking methods (thanks not-so-ethical lecturers). :p

To make a basic crack you just need a disassembler and to know assembly language. My disclaimer is that of course I've only cracked software for educational purposes (as if that somehow makes it more legal). :p

MecaKane
10-09-2007, 03:31 AM
If you want just basic information, and don't require a cracker who is part of a group that makes proper releases, you could use me? I couldn't give any insight to the cracker "ethos", but I do know the mechanics behind a few cracking methods (thanks not-so-ethical lecturers). :p

To make a basic crack you just need a disassembler and to know assembly language. My disclaimer is that of course I've only cracked software for educational purposes (as if that somehow makes it more legal). :p

That'd be great, it doesn't have to be someone who does it for releases. I gotta get everything together for the actual interview, so can I im you sometime tomorrow or Wednesday?

crono_logical
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I'd say Face has more experience than me, since I've not actually even attempting cracking anything myself before :p Anything I've done to work around nuisances hasn't involved editing the programs themselves :p