PDA

View Full Version : PC Problems

Carl the Llama
10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Well I have been haveing trouble with my computer lately, the latest thing is I cant right click on my menu bar and I have to press the media key just to get the menu bar up, now normally most people could live with that its just I have my entire desktop on my menu bar (wihtout the names of the icons or the desktop name on the bar) and when I try to close somthing in the menu bar down (such as Bit Torrent) its just beeps at me and doesnt do anything...

I have ran SUPER AntiSpyware but my computer is still mega slow, please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Baloki
10-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Firstly whats SuperAntiSpyware? Because I've never heard of it. Also as a temporary fix try going to C:\Documents and Settings\*Username*\Start Menu\ (replacing *Username* with the name of the account your using on Windows). Also have you run an anti-virus scan? And have you installed any new software lately?

Discord
10-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Sounds like you've installed (possibly unwillingly) something pretty. First of all, do what Baloki said. Then give us a couple of details more. Screenshots are generally a good thing when it comes to computer (software) issues.

All in all, your system should have four lines of defence:

1. Firewall
2. Anti-Spyware
3. Anti-Virus
4. Backups
(5. Windows CD in the drawer and I do hope you've got the OS on a separate drive/partition)

Presuming that you're running an XP machine, I would personally suggest Comodo for the first, Spybot Search and Destroy for the second, Dr. Web as an anti-virus (big debate on this one please) and Tune-Up Utilities 2007 for the rest. Tune-Ups are pretty good, because they'll keep your system more or less clean, give you a better view of certain core elements AND create backups of your system settings, i.e. if something goes wrong, you can always restore it. First two are free, the third is annually paid, the last costs about 30 USD.

If all else fails, backup your personal data and reinstall the OS.

Carl the Llama
10-10-2007, 05:41 AM
First off, massive thanks for replying but I managed to sort it out by going to last known working configureation (which you get to by pressing the F8 button when you get the black screen with the white underscore).

and secondly SUPER AntiSpyware is so much better then Spybot s&d, a teckie friend of mine recomended it highly to me and I also had a look on one of the security forums I go to and everyone there agreed that it is the best in spyware removal, there was a few things that my Spybot S&D couldnt get rid of but as soon as I ran SAS it got rid of them without a problem. and it also has a homepage protector (which stops website from changeing your HP) so yea 5 stars.

Discord
10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh, that was the name of it. I thought you were very hyper about it.:)) Meh, never heard of though.