PDA

View Full Version : FF XI to be released for the PS2 again(it includes all expansions, including Wings)

Crossblades
10-09-2007, 12:22 AM
This will be good news for people who wanted this for the PS2

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281831

Rostum
10-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Yeah, they should have just let the PS2 version die. It has held the game back so much.

No.78
10-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, they should have just let the PS2 version die. It has held the game back so much.

You beat me to it... ;_;

dodhungry
10-12-2007, 05:09 AM
hmm I wonder if they are going to release that and just the expansion for people who already have the rest.

Yeargdribble
10-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Let me 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th that notion.

remnant1
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
how does it hold the game back?its still the same game

Jimsour
10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
There are certain things that the XBOX and PC can handle that the PS2 wasnt able too, like changing the appearance of your character, letting them grow beards, different hair, tattoos, etc.

Yeargdribble
10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Or (most importantly to me) the ability to expand inventory space.

They can't upgrade the graphics or add too many more textures when adding new gear. They don't allow add ons (because it would be unfair to the PS2 players).

Yeah... a lot of things that are crippling the game's growth.

Rostum
10-12-2007, 11:57 PM
its still the same game

If they phased out the PS2 version when Sony discontinued the HDD, the game would be largely improved by now.

Hyperion4444
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
You can upscale all PS2 games to 1080p HD on the PS3.

Also, why didn't they just bring it to the PS3 instead?

And wich would be better off to play with, A 60GB PS3 or a 40GB PS2?

Side Note: Sure Glad the PS2 version doesn't grow beards, it's just not Final Fantasy. 'sorry Barret'

Rostum
10-14-2007, 09:33 AM
You can upscale all PS2 games to 1080p HD on the PS3.

No PS2 game has been designed for HDTV.

Also, why didn't they just bring it to the PS3 instead?

Because it was released for the PS2 in 2001 or so. If they wanted to release it for the PS3 they would have to code it from the ground up (PS2 uses a completely different engine and hardware to the PS3).

And wich would be better off to play with, A 60GB PS3 or a 40GB PS2?

Uh, what? Please research something before you start asking silly questions.

Side Note: Sure Glad the PS2 version doesn't grow beards, it's just not Final Fantasy. 'sorry Barret'

This is a silly statement, how can beards not be Final Fantasy? Where did you come up with that conclusion? By the way, they already have beards on characters in a lot of Final Fantasy's, including XI.

Yeargdribble
10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
The graphics engine is locked where it has been since PS2 launch. You'll never get better than 30 FPS and won't be able to get improved textures until they ditch the PS2. Maybe it was a good idea and a great system at the time, but consoles don't age well with MMOs.

They aren't likely to redo the entire game to make it truly PS3 worthy. They refuse to even do a good job of getting it to run on PCs. It's just a very half-assed emulation on PC.

While I applaud the work that SE has finally started doing in the game (dealing with RMT, taking care of problems, adding content) after years of begging, they still haven't really tackled the issue of how badly it runs on PC. At least they are finally addressing PC users concerns about windowable play.