PDA

View Full Version : Stable home networking.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
What would I need and how expensive would it be to find a way to get my two PCs to stop disconnecting from the internet every few hours, all because of my router? It seems even a nice 'quality' router with a bunch of five star ratings still disconnects a lot. My ISP hasn't changed, and before I had a second PC the single computer hooked up directly the 'net never had trouble.

I heard something about setting up a server instead of using a router but I'm not sure on the costs of that. Would I need to buy a third PC which would act purely as a server-router-type-thing or, uh... what? *dunno*

Flying Mullet
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I've never had that problem with two (or three) computers connected at once through my router. My first thought would be to check that your router is running the latest version of the firmware that's available for it.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
What kind of router do you have and how is it set up?

EDIT: It should be noted that 'every few hours' may be an exaggeration. :p

Flying Mullet
10-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I have a linksys WRT54G and 1-2 laptops connect to it wirelessly and one desktop connected through an ethernet cable.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
That may just be the exact same router as I have. xD *checks his email*

EDIT: Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch - what are the odds. How come my one disconnects then. :( I may have to trade firewall settings with you sometime.

Baloki
10-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Sounds like an IP conflict, have you got DHCP setup correctly?

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Sounds like an IP conflict, have you got DHCP setup correctly?

We'll find out when I get home! What would I need to detail for you?

XxSephirothxX
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
The WRT54GL (Linux version) is supposedly much more stable than the regular WRT54G, too, which is what I have and what I assume Mullet has. I have a problem with my roommates not being able to get much of a signal on it wirelessly, but it's at least up most of the time. A lot of these wireless routers are pieces of :skull::skull::skull::skull:, so if you're constantly using a lot of bandwidth they'll just die. If that's not the problem, maybe you can fine-tune things as per Baloki or someone with more networking knowledge can guide you.

Flying Mullet
10-09-2007, 04:21 PM
A lot of these wireless routers are pieces of :skull::skull::skull::skull:, so if you're constantly using a lot of bandwidth they'll just die.
I wanted to add that I don't chew through a lot of bandwidth doing downloads, torrents and such, so that could be why I don't have as many issues.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a 20Mb connection so I can go through torrents pretty fast, admittedly. I don't use the wireless function right now, if that changes anything.

Flying Mullet
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I only have one computer connected through an ethernet cable, so I guess I'm not the best to compare against for multiple users all connected via cables.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Would it make much of a difference? My desktops have wireless modems as well so I can go for either option. I just figure a wired connection would be more stable and that's about it.

XxSephirothxX
10-09-2007, 04:46 PM
The torrenting is probably the problem. I wish I could get 20 mb. ;( America's broadband sucks. You should look into whether or not the 54GL allows for custom firmware. You could likely make it far more stable that way. And I seriously doubt switching to wireless would do you any good whatsoever. Surely wired is as reliable, if not moreso.

Baloki
10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
You need to check your computer isn't setup to ask for a certain IP, this can be done:

Right-click My Network Places > Properties > *The network connection your using to connect* > Right-click it and go properties > In the box double-click "Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) > Make sure it's set to "Obtain an IP Address automatically".

Else it's probably a setting in your router, I'd need to look at the router control panel to see what it could be, however it could be a fault with the user settings for your router connecting to your ISP.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I know clout has managed to tap into my CP before so maybe you can do all my hard work for me.

Baloki
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
If you turn on the remote management and send me your IP address I could, yes

Flying Mullet
10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Baloki just wants access to your sheeps pr0n.

Loony BoB
10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
He only needs to ask.

Discord
10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Haven't read all of the answers before, but try assigning static IPs to the the two systems.

crono_logical
10-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Has this started happenning since you started torrenting a lot or using a lot of bandwidth? If so, try using less or try doing it outside peak usage hours e.g. overnight only (midnight to 8-9 AM) - the ISP might be cutting you off deliberately if that's the case :p

Loony BoB
10-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Well this morning my internet was disconnected when I sat down at my PC before going to work. It had just started happening before I sat down (I could tell because AIM was trying to reconnect, as was mIRC). No torrents were running. No other P2P stuff. The only things I had running were my chat systems.

Baloki
10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
If you want to catch me tongiht after I get home from work BoB I can see if I can help?

Loony BoB
10-10-2007, 11:37 AM
If you want to catch me tongiht after I get home from work BoB I can see if I can help?
That would be nice! IM me sometime after 7pm and you should catch me, particularly if you see me browsing the forums.

Baloki
10-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I won't be home until after 10 so it'll have to be after then :O

Peegee
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Baloki if you're gonna thief his pr0n I want too.

BoB are only the two (other) machines affected? Meaning, your main torrent downloading machine is fine?