PDA

View Full Version : Just why is it...

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 04:59 AM
that a lot of people seem to look at open, unmoved threads, but never post in them. General disinterest? It's been done before? All the lurkers? Warned people who think better of a comment? Jaded forum staff?

What's your theory?

Evastio
10-10-2007, 05:01 AM
They probably don't know what to post at the moment. They may also not find the thread interesting. It's happened to my threads quite a bit although I'm not completely sure why.

escobert
10-10-2007, 05:08 AM
I don't have a theory but I know most of my threads aren't too popular :p

Shlup
10-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Just to piss you off, VTG.

LunarWeaver
10-10-2007, 05:14 AM
I call them internet vultures so the evil has a face.

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-10-2007, 05:17 AM
I do that from time to time. Sometimes if I want information or curious about the thread I will read it without posting, sometimes several times but not post because I either have nothing to add to it or I do not want to get involve with the thread (esp. relevant to debate threads). It is like thread voyeurism on my part.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 05:22 AM
They probably don't know what to post at the moment. They may also not find the thread interesting. It's happened to my threads quite a bit although I'm not completely sure why.

I tried to be more random - some results have been good, others censored by the Eoff Administration! :shifty:

I've posted in some of your threads lately - keep working on it. :p

Well I don't care about your views. :eep:

I call them internet vultures so the evil has a face.

Thanks for more irreverent/irrelevant humour Lunar. If you ever make a thread, try being more cohesive. :p

I do that from time to time. Sometimes if I want information or curious about the thread I will read it without posting, sometimes several times but not post because I either have nothing to add to it or I do not want to get involve with the thread (esp. relevant to debate threads). It is like thread voyageurism on my part.

Next time you do that, post just to punish yourself at being a voyeur to our endless debates. *oh snap*

escobert
10-10-2007, 05:26 AM

I don't really have common intrests with most internet peoples it seems :p most don't share my taste in music. And far too many play WoW and not the far better game called Guild Wars :p So when I make a thread about stuff I don't expect too many replies xD

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM

I don't really have common intrests with most internet peoples it seems :p most don't share my taste in music. And far too many play WoW and not the far better game called Guild Wars :p So when I make a thread about stuff I don't expect too many replies xD

That's a good thing though. It means you're your own man - a free-thinker and individual. Unfortunately it seems that the latest thing on Eoff is to adhere to fads.

*looks sadly at own post* :cry:

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
I do that from time to time. Sometimes if I want information or curious about the thread I will read it without posting, sometimes several times but not post because I either have nothing to add to it or I do not want to get involve with the thread (esp. relevant to debate threads). It is like thread voyageurism on my part.

Next time you do that, post just to punish yourself at being a voyeur to our endless debates. *oh snap*

Masochism is so 1999, I prefer the sadistic pleasure I receive while watching your endless debates. It makes me happy on the inside. :jess:

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 05:29 AM

Masochism is so 1999, I prefer the sadistic pleasure I receive while watching your endless debates. It makes me happy on the inside. :jess:

Debate Nazi! :greenie:

Shlup
10-10-2007, 05:39 AM

I realize you have yet to recognize the correctness that is my awesome brainthoughts; however, I must request that you refrain from making me want to destroy you.

OMG! I know what you're trying to do here! I see your plan now.

I'm in.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 05:42 AM

I realize you have yet to recognize the correctness that is my awesome brainthoughts; however, I must request that you refrain from making me want to destroy you.

OMG! I know what you're trying to do here! I see your plan now.

I'm in.

I could say the same for you. :tongue:

Shlup
10-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Wait... what? No. What? Grr.

APPLES!

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Wait... what? No. What? Grr.

APPLES!

tomatoEs !

Yamaneko
10-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Probably because the threads get derailed by useless tangents.

Shlup
10-10-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm offended that you would imply any of our members would do such a thing. Here at EoFF we screen our members so that only the most productive and intelligent are let in.

Except you. We had Zexy screening that day and you know how loosey-goosey he can get when he's sundowning.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Probably because the threads get derailed by useless tangents.

Probably because it's apparently your duty to kill them. :rolleyes2

I'm offended that you would imply any of our members would do such a thing. Here at EoFF we screen our members so that only the most productive and intelligent are let in.

Except you. We had Zexy screening that day and you know how loosey-goosey he can get when he's sundowning.

Go ahead, screen me. My point of Abuse of Power will be proved then.

theundeadhero
10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I could do it. No one would ever think twice too. It was just a new knight mistake.

I read far more threads than I post in because sometimes I don't have anything to say. Sometimes I just want to read what somebody else said about it to learn.

Jess
10-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't reply to threads when I can't think of a reply or when I'm completely uninterested by the topic. :jess:

blackmage_nuke
10-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Usually what i want to say has already been posted

Loony BoB
10-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I would guess that a large portion of the thread views are actually people who have already posted and are just clicking to read what other people have to say. After all, forums aren't all about you telling people your thoughts, but also reading the thoughts that other people have to offer.

rubah
10-10-2007, 04:13 PM
They don't like you

The Ceej
10-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I would guess that a large portion of the thread views are actually people who have already posted and are just clicking to read what other people have to say. After all, forums aren't all about you telling people your thoughts, but also reading the thoughts that other people have to offer.

Yeah, that, and people don't always have something relevant to say. Sometimes they thought the thread was something it wasn't. Maybe they'll come back later with a post if they think of something. There are threads I follow but don't post in.

Every morning, I visit the site, open all the threads I think will be interesting, each in its own tab. Some I post in, most I don't. That doesn't mean the ones I don't post in are bad threads, though sometimes they are. There are many reasons why one would view a thread without posting. I never even bothered to ponder them all.

XxSephirothxX
10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Because they're just dull. Or because it's been done before on multiple occasions. That's how it goes for me, anyway.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-11-2007, 01:31 AM

That's a good point. I do that a fair amount, though most of the time if I do that, I reply to at least one person.

Lawr
10-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I do so because I usually don't know what to post, or have nothing corny and unoriginal to contribute to the community.

Pouring Rain
10-11-2007, 01:40 AM
I do that when I open a thread and then the contents of the thread don't really interest me.

Jessweeee♪
10-11-2007, 01:45 AM
I absolutely have to type the way I talk but I'm using the Wii browser so sometimes it's either run my sentences together & tlk lk dis or don't post :p

edczxcvbnm
10-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Cuz...I'm out to fuck up yo' christmas, biatch xDSfsad n

yanis
10-11-2007, 02:08 AM
I was already leaving this thread and then I decided to post why I wouldn't post here...Maybe someone already said what I was going to say and a quote wouldn't change anything! And maybe I read more than than I post:riiight:

Vincent, Thunder God
10-11-2007, 04:48 AM
I do so because I usually don't know what to post, or have nothing corny and unoriginal to contribute to the community.

Next time you feel like something's corny or unoriginal, just run with it and see what happens. I've started doing that, and mostly results were good. Except that one closed thread - but Shlup just did that to *spite* me.

I do that when I open a thread and then the contents of the thread don't really interest me.

I absolutely have to type the way I talk but I'm using the Wii browser so sometimes it's either run my sentences together & tlk lk dis or don't post :p

Both are good reasons I suppose.

I was already leaving this thread and then I decided to post why I wouldn't post here...Maybe someone already said what I was going to say and a quote wouldn't change anything! And maybe I read more than than I post:riiight:

Still, seconding is pretty easy. Quote and then type second. I do that at times.

As for reading more than posting - generally I'm guilty of the opposite, but I'm working on it. I'm replying to a lot more people, and am generally reading all thread replies that interest me.