PDA

View Full Version : Woman apparently depreciates in value

edczxcvbnm
10-10-2007, 06:43 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Deal or no deal? An online exchange between a woman looking for a husband who earns more than $500,000 a year and a mystery Wall Street banker, who assessed her potential for romance as a business deal, has cause quite an Internet stir.

The anonymous 25-year-old woman recently posted an ad on the free online New York community Web site Craigslist, craigslist: new york city classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (http://newyork.craigslist.org/), appealing for advice on how to find a wealthy husband.

"I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all," the woman, who described herself as "spectacularly beautiful" and "superficial," wrote.

"I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250,000 won't get me to Central Park West," she said, asking questions like "where do rich single men hang out?"

The mystery banker, who said he fit the bill, offered the woman an analysis of her predicament, describing it as "plain and simple a crappy business deal."

"Your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity ... in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!" the banker wrote.

"So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset," he said. "Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!"

"It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease," he said.

While the woman has since removed the ad from Craigslist, it -- along with the response -- has become a popular email joke that, bank JPMorgan Chase says, led to one of its bankers mistakenly being credited with writing the response.

Brian Marchiony, spokesman for JPMorgan Chase, said the banker did not write the response and that his email signature accidentally became attached to the ad and response when he forwarded it to friends and it then wound up on blogs.

Craigslist was not immediately available for comment, but a spokeswoman told The New York Times that "it does look as if the post was made sincerely."
Woman seeks rich husband, banker says "crappy" deal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071010/od_nm/newyork_husband_dc;_ylt=AmXaPeIA1K.EJ48JslwDomOs0NUE)

When reading this the song Gold Digger came to mind XD

Now I ain't sayin' she a gold digger (When I'm in need)
But she ain't messin' wit no broke niggas (She steal me money)

Discuss this triflin'-ness of this article XD

Miriel
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Women don't depreciate in value you silly edzvsvnsxbvndvndx.

That SPECIFIC woman does, cause she's a loser and the banker is right. She places all her ambitions on her looks and they're gonna fade eventually. I'd lease rather than buy, too. :p

But uh, I plan on being spectacularly rich, all on my own so no worries for me!

edczxcvbnm
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
That is a typo. I meant to say Woman apparently depreciates in value XP

Peegee
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
The thread confused me until I realised that the woman wasn't making 500 grand but was either poor or broke and wanted to 'sell' her 'looks' for a 'marriage' to a 'guy' for 'more than 500 grand'.

Heh. That is just terrible and anybody who would marry a spouse (note the lack of gender pronouns) who made substantially less deserves to lose out. Popular example would be Britney Spears' divorce way back in the day that netted the guy like what, 60-600 grand? Oh man.

Looks are not forever, and that asset will depreciate, whether you are male or female.

I still salute your less-than-subtle flamebaiting, edcxzxcvbnmmeifuasdkjhf

scrumpleberry
10-10-2007, 08:45 PM
lulz, love it!

Shlup
10-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Hell yes.

rubah
10-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Women depreciate if you only lust after their bodies :] Those who take the sense in finding a girl who has a mind to go along get a net gain after so many years!

I edited the title for you, ed!

TyphoonThaReapa
10-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Me and my dogg had an discussion about this a week ago. He though God had written that email. He was convinced that it was the most intelligent thing he has ever heard. And I agreed from a logic point of view. But we all know that logic is only one part of the equation when it comes to humans. But I've gotta hand it to that guy. If a women asked a question like that to me, I'd say the same damn thing...:cool:

escobert
10-11-2007, 06:19 AM
I want to live in a hut in the woods ^_^ I'll pay you $2 to live with me!