PDA

View Full Version : Is this a rubbish game ?

Rianoa
10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
When i saw that the main character had a tail i didn't bother to buy it am i missing out what do you think ?

Tallulah
10-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Personally, although it is one of my favourite games, it took a bit of getting into. I was also slightly put off by the character design, especially after the proportioned characters of VIII. However, I was eventually sucked into the compelling storyline, and got into it quite quickly. :)

BUY THIS GAME! :D

theundeadhero
10-11-2007, 12:10 AM
I enjoyed it very much my first play through. More than some of the other FFs.

Heath
10-11-2007, 12:11 AM
When i saw that the main character had a tail i didn't bother to buy it am i missing out what do you think ?

I think you really missed out. Questionable graphics aside, the game has my favourite OST, one of the most engaging and interesting plots of the series, a generally fun battle system (aside from Trance at times) and all in all, a great homage to the rest of the series.

Lynx
10-11-2007, 12:22 AM
id say your missing out by not playing this game. the story gets you hooked. the ending is awesome too. despite what the characters look like i definatly say go out and buy this game.

cloud21zidane16
10-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah your missing out hugely, IX was superb, the storys so easy to get into as well;)

qwertysaur
10-11-2007, 06:42 AM
The tail makes the game better.

NeoCracker
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm more into the Tongue myself. Quina's a sexy bitch after all.

Raebus
10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
so, you saw a tail and thought "oh man this game looks terrible". Thats the best reason ever to miss out on a great game that you should play atleast once.

Karellen
10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Apparently small details like that really get to people. There has been an unbelievably amount of bitching about FFXIII and how Shiva can become a motorcycle.

demondude
10-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Don't buy it, that tail really sucks.

licence
10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I really like it, it's one of my favourite Final Fantasys. The mini games and side quests are enjoyable and the main story is good. I think you missed out.

It did take a while to get into though, and I never really started playing it with the same intensity (lol) as I did FFVIII until about 6 months after I'd bought it.

The Ceej
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
There are some valid reasons that people don't like this game.

The tail is not one of them. If that's the reason that you're not playing the game, pick up a copy, and rest assured, the tail will be explained, storywise.

Besides, after I first played the game, I had a fantasy that I was going to have a tail grafted onto my ass. You know. Because tails are cool.

Vivisteiner
10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
It is called Final Fantasy. Therefore, not buying a game because of a tail seems strange to me.

Anyway, to put it concisely, this is the best game ever.

Bolivar
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Definately, it's certainly one of the best games in the series, and a serious contender for the #1 spot. I think it's safe to say it's the most well rounded game, having each individual part at least exceptional.

Snap Jumper
10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
You sure missed out. Zidane's tail has nothing to do with gameplay and only a small role in the story. Also, you're missing out on the fun of finding the hidden references to the previous games.

10-12-2007, 01:46 AM
If you're actually shallow enough not to play a game because the main character has a tail, then you deserve to miss out on one of the top 3 FF games ever made =/

Kai McCloud
10-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Out of the three that originaly came out on the PS1 (7,8 & 9) it isnt the best but i still found it very enjoyable. With well thought out characters, a decent soundtrack and a story that will keep you gessing there isnt much more you could want from a FF. Its no FF VII but still worth parting with your hard earned cash.

Fatal Impurity
10-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It's equal to or better than FF7 (mostly due to more polish and less bad points). It has a good story, consistant difficulty, plenty of secrets, developed characters, a huge freeroaming world and plenty of longevity.

What more could you want?

Zeromus_X
10-12-2007, 10:06 PM
It is probably my favorite FF, in retrospect. It also has a great amount of replayability; I always find something new about it each time I played it. Please don't let the more cartoonish art style prevent you from playing this wonderful game.

Rianoa
10-12-2007, 10:25 PM
so it roks

So its a good game i was just put of buy the graphics i know it sounds shallow but all the ones i have been on had great graphics and gameplay. il have to buy it sometime

Vivisteiner
10-12-2007, 11:21 PM
So its a good game i was just put of buy the graphics i know it sounds shallow but all the ones i have been on had great graphics and gameplay. il have to buy it sometime
I would change that to NOW! :D

The graphics are better than VIII and below. Just that the increase isnt as big as VI-VII or VII-VIII. The character design is also unusual, but I like it.

Rianoa
10-12-2007, 11:39 PM
So its a good game i was just put of buy the graphics i know it sounds shallow but all the ones i have been on had great graphics and gameplay. il have to buy it now:greenie:

Rostum
10-13-2007, 12:52 AM
You didn't buy a game just because the main character had a tail? What a lame excuse. It's a great game, probably one of my favourite RPG's.

The Last Oath
10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
It actually does have a very nice story line once you get into it..

ReloadPsi
10-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Please tell me you didn't pass the same judgment on any of the classic Sonic games, Donkey Kong Country 2 or Yoshi's Island or else I shall have to come and tear your femur out of your right leg and beat you to death with it.

Rostum
10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
...or else I shall have to come and tear your femur out of your right leg and beat you to death with it.

Make sure to film it and post it on YouTube.

Shinjara
10-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Although it's not one of my personal favourite FF games, it's still enjoyable enough to engage you and you'll play it from start to finish. I did quite enjoy the chocobo side quest, mind you :P So yeah I'd say you're missing out.

Jess
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
It's a fantastic game. You should buy it. Forget that the main character has a tail - it really doesn't matter. :jess:

Xear
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I wouldnt say the game is "great" or one of the best games of all time. But its still playbale in my opinion.

The graphics of the game actaully did put alot of people off the game at first, where as some PC players in the UK would admit to playing Final fantasy 7 and 8. I knew quite afew gamers who saw 8 at face value as "a childish anime game" as one person described it to me. So the original question does not sound childish or shallow , the art style of the game will do that certain types of people.

I do find it disturbing how Zidane looked like Meg Ryans though :-P

Personally I just dont hold the game in high respcts due to the ability system, some of the cast and the trance system. But the story is solid and the system does act in a stable manner. But hey try it :-P It might be your type of gaming system

Spawn of Sephiroth
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
This is a must buy game. It looks kinda sucky by the cover and it does look kinda kiddy too, but its fun, there is a lot to do and the storyline is really amazing. Buy it, you won't regret it.

ReloadPsi
10-16-2007, 07:13 PM
...or else I shall have to come and tear your femur out of your right leg and beat you to death with it.

Make sure to film it and post it on YouTube.

Happy slapping is just nasty, man. I'm well above that crap.

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
This game is fantastic.

What the hell kind of reason is "HE HAD A TAIL OMG NOOOOOO!"?

robert gainsborough
11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Two words. Hell No! this game is awsome! If you want to play a good ff then you should get this game!

Lon611
11-21-2007, 04:31 AM
This is a must buy game. It looks kinda sucky by the cover and it does look kinda kiddy too, but its fun, there is a lot to do and the storyline is really amazing. Buy it, you won't regret it.

true...true words. probably my favorite FF. the cover does look cheesy i agree...but something about the in-game graphics draws me. and the characters/storyline and atmosphere keep me interested. the battle system is great too. one of the more underrated FF's, but you won't regret it.

KoShiatar
11-21-2007, 01:34 PM
IX is a great game with good music, decent graphics (they actually must have been fantabulous for a PSX) and surprisingly funny minigames.
Don't be put off by the character design, you would miss something really good.

Captain Maxx Power
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Your Tailaphobia sickens me!

Benry
11-21-2007, 04:03 PM
BUY IT! PLAY IT!! you'll love it
this game had a very captiating storyline, it draws you in and really hooks you. Its one of the best (if not THE best) games in the seies as far as gameplay too. A very well rounded game that i've been able to play agian and agian.

Yar
11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
The only thing I didn't like about this game is that the battle system is sluggish, even at max speed. VII and VIII's battles were much quicker.

crayzee gamr
11-25-2007, 05:24 AM
rubbish?
HELL NO!
its an awesome game
-great story
-different characters with different personailties
-good graphics (for that time)
-There is a he/she character that many love
I highly recommend it

ReloadPsi
11-25-2007, 02:09 PM
The only thing I didn't like about this game is that the battle system is sluggish, even at max speed. VII and VIII's battles were much quicker.

That's largely because they had much smaller parties than any other game in the series, both yours and the enemies'. I never met more than five monsters in a single battle, except the pincer attack from six frogs, and that's hardly significant. That's my theory anyway.

This was also the last "authentic" Final Fantasy game in one sense, in that it had all the classic FF aesthetics that 6, 7 and 8 did not have, and which none of its successors would bear either.

There is a he/she character that many love

...Quina? :D

I Don't Need A Name
11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
you have made a powerful enemy this day :mad2:

Markus. D
11-26-2007, 06:33 AM
You'll love it!

LOVE IT!

crayzee gamr
12-01-2007, 11:06 PM
There is a he/she character that many love

...Quina? :D[/QUOTE]

yepadoodle :D

footem
12-12-2007, 03:11 PM
It also has the best world map graphics of the series. Those sunsets out on the archipelegos, mmmmmmmmmmm.

Elly
12-12-2007, 03:33 PM
not quite the best but it's ok, the story is fairly good, and the grafics are more atuned to a fairy tale type of environment which isn't bad, and Zidanes weapons are awesome... where this game really fails though is the Trance System and some side quests, Trance is completely useless in my opinion since it does not carry over between battles, which for me meant i never got a chance to use it since Trance has a nasty habit of activating right before the deathblow, also the skills are severely lacking, you learn your skills from the items you have equiped, but when you learn them you can only use a limited amount at any given time which means every time you enter a new area you had to re-allocate your skills... and of course the ultimate insult to mini games would be Tetra Master which defies all laws of logic by adding a random factor, that means that even if your cards stats are higher than your opponent you can still lose to vastly inferior cards... so in a nutshell the game isn't great like VI-VIII, X, & XII but it's a good tribute to FF of times past...

footem
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
i agree there are problems with many of the sidequests, especially in regards to the reward given at the end of them. If i remember right you dont ever really get anything for playing Tetra Master, and a number of hard sidequests just increase you treasure hunter rating rather than giving cool new stuff. Still love the game though!

Bolivar
12-12-2007, 06:58 PM

That's largely because they had much smaller parties than any other game in the series, both yours and the enemies'. I never met more than five monsters in a single battle, except the pincer attack from six frogs, and that's hardly significant. That's my theory anyway.

Actually it's because the battle animations for non-summon magic and abilities are longer than they need to be. Just doing a simple ice is IX or VIII is over-extended. With enemies constantly using abilities, it's not uncommon to wait a full minute (or more) before a character actually executes the command you entered.

Gennosuke
12-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Love Final Fantasy IX, the story is awesome(a lil old school,which is a nice touch) amazing graphics for the PS1, good characters, with some funny dialogue, i loveeeeee the soundtrack, i really liked this game not as good as VII probably equal to VIII if not slightly better.:up:

No.78
12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Is this a rubbish game ?

Nooo

goth-love
01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
the games good, play it, oh and have you ever heard the saying Dont judge a book by its cover?mmmm.....

James Leopold
01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I finished ths game for the first time two days ago and I have to say that it is my favourite game ever.

Goldenboko
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Actually it's because the battle animations for non-summon magic and abilities are longer than they need to be. Just doing a simple ice is IX or VIII is over-extended. With enemies constantly using abilities, it's not uncommon to wait a full minute (or more) before a character actually executes the command you entered.

Consider that unlike FFVII, X, or XII you don't need to take down enemies with two bajilion HP. There are less commands needed, so they can be a bit more flashy.

FFVIII just had no excuse.

Lon611
02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
i just took on Ozma....big mistake :P

daggertrepe
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
You're going to buy it and you're going to liiiike it.

Momiji
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Not buying the game because the main character had a tail is kind of a silly excuse, isn't it?

Anyway, FFIX is probably the best one after the SNES era, in my opinion. It's a lot better than FFVII (then again, pretty much all of them are), and better than FFVIII too. It also had the best storyline of the Playstation-era of FF games too, in my opinion. It's very much worth buying.

Randgris
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Weird graphics, very nice storyline, each character has his/her own job class. Yeah you missed a lot.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of 9, (I hate the card game, I suck at it) but overall, this game is nice enough to buy.

Christmas
02-03-2023, 02:09 PM

Quite the opposite for me. :bigsmile:

I like the long hairy tail.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-15-2023, 01:15 AM
It's not a rubbish game, it's one of the best in the series.

But if you don't like it, go play something else.

*Peter*
03-03-2023, 10:06 AM
Overall, I consider it to be one of the best games in the series.

However, that said, it also has a few irritating flaws that I think should be corrected in future remasters or remakes.

One of the most annoying flaws in this game is that the Trance attacks cannot be saved for later battles;
I don't know why the newer versions never fix that problem, because it is clearly one of the biggest complaints when it comes to this game.

Another thing that might not necessarily be a flaw, but that I always found underwhelming, is that a lot of the minigames don't give you any rewards;
this is one reason why Tetra Master is generally considered very inferior to Triple Triad in FF8.
It would have also been nice if the coffee sidequest and the Hippaul race gave you something useful, like maybe several Elixirs for the coffee sidequest and some early RunningShoes for the Hippaul race, or something like that.
I also thought that the Jump Rope minigame was overly frustrating, although that minigame at least gives you several rewards throughout the whole jumping part.

The clear king among the sidequests in this game is Chocobo Hot & Cold;
that sidequest is awesome, and it certainly makes up for all of the annoying sidequests.
I also kinda like the Friendly Monsters sidequest.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-03-2023, 10:36 AM
The combination of the games' O.S.T. and writing make it amongst the best in the series.