PDA

View Full Version : All hope is not lost, Penny Pigtails

Rye
10-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Or is it? I kind of seriously hate class ranking in schools. I hate how people who take AP classes have their grades ridiculously over-inflated even if they do poorly in them. I complained about this to Necronopticous, and now I will complain to you, because I'm a big stupid doo doo head. It's fun that school makes you feel inadequate when you you're in the top 20%-ish percent of your class, which shouldn't even make you feel inadequate, but it does because apparently having a 4.0 GPA unweighted, let alone weighted, doesn't even get you in the top 10% of your class! And with those grades, I only got 52 out of 240-ish kids. What kind of AP over-inflated grades do you need to be in in the top 5? A freaking 6.0 GPA? :kaocry2:

No, seriously, discuss what you disliked about how your High School ranked and graded students.

qwertysaur
10-12-2007, 07:56 PM
My high school didn't rank.:)

Rye
10-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Lucky.

Honestly, if competition is this bad now, I don't even want to picture how horrible it'll be for our kids. You'll need to take 10 AP classes in elementary school or you won't even get into the easiest community college, probably. You'll be doomed to a career at McDonalds. So dumb. :kaoangry:

Lynx
10-12-2007, 08:03 PM
well i dont remember people in AP chemistry haveing there grades boosted or anything. i actually saw people close to failing most of the time and thats after panicing and studying in every class and at home for a week. i wasnt in AP classes cause i aint not smart enuff. i remember the 2 kids with the highest averages deserved it though. i hvae no clue where i ranked but probably not too bad. so i guess my school did a good job of ranking students.

JerseyMage
10-12-2007, 08:05 PM
If you don't take as many high ranking classes as you can, it's almost impossible to compete with those students.

If you really have a 4.0 unweighted GPA though, you're still pretty well off. Just concentrate on SATs.

Rye
10-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Dude, I have about 10 credits more than I even need to graduate, and I don't even compare. Retarded. And I took my SATs for the second time, it's done with, I don't even care what I get anymore.

Jojee
10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Take more AP classes then; take advantage of the system. I took a ton of AP classes in high school and I was always sad that we didn't do a 5.0 system for them while every other school seemed to. It made their GPAs seem overinflated whereas the most I could get was a 4. =\ If AP classes in my HS were based on a 5.0 system my GPA would have been way above a 4! xD Boo.

Rye
10-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm taking two this year. I could take one more, but it's a bit too late now. But I'm not that great in Math or Science, I'm a more musical/artistic person, which is what I'm planning to go to college for anyway, but it sucks because everyone gets the bulk of their APs from taking AP Stats, AP Calc, AP Chem, AP Physics, etc.

I Took the Red Pill
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm ranked 11th right now, tied with like 8 other people, but unlike your school, AP and Honors classes don't get weighted so grades aren't inflated. I'd rather have your system, seeing as the Valedictorian is going to be a girl who hasn't taken a challenging class in her life and therefore maintains a 99.6 average or something ridiculous like that. Either way, it doesn't bother me, because class rank doesn't mean a thing.

Rye
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't give a crap about my ranking or GPA at all if I wasn't trying to get into NYU. I can easily get into every other college I'm planning on applying too, but NYU... toughie. D:

Zeldy
10-12-2007, 10:32 PM
The only thing I have to cope with is one college Im considering, Winstanely, only takes people that gain 50+ points (10 for A*, 8 for A etc) in my GCSEs. My school has a sixth form, and they only ask you to stay if you get over Bs in every subject. I already have an A, so aslong as I get all over Bs I'll be in~

We don't have any of these ranking crap things :cool:

Baloki
10-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Rye there was no need to get my hopes up about this thread, NO NEED DAMNIT!

Ouch!
10-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Just be glad you didn't go to my high school. The competition was freaking bonkers. We had three valedictorians because their GPAs were within .025 points of each other. Two of them had exactly identical GPAs (they took the same classes all four years and got straight A's) and the third only got a higher GPA because he opted to take a ninth class (AP of course), although I'm not sure how he ever managed that. If you weren't already taking as many AP classes as you could by first semester sophomore year, you were already out of the running for the top 5% (and possibly 10%) of the class. It was nucking futs.

Shlup
10-13-2007, 05:32 AM
I loved it. There were five hundred eighty-something students in my grade, and I was ranked in the five hundreds. I think like 514.

I was an obnoxious little bitch.

escobert
10-13-2007, 05:37 AM
I was 77 out of 88! :D we started with 140 kids in our class xD everyone dropped out. I had a 79.9 average and I was 77, but that's because we don't have weighted grades. And there were kids in like the top 30 that could barley read.

BardTard
10-13-2007, 05:51 AM
At my graduation the top 10 students were the ones who couldn't figrue out what they were supposed to do. They were all like, "we go which way?" and my friend Jordan, who was sitting next to me, made fun of them. It was funny.

Yamaneko
10-13-2007, 07:19 AM
If you were number one we wouldn't be having this discussion.

My best friend in high school was valedictorian with like a 4.6GPA. I never really cared, but he got a good ride into UCLA and I didn't. I don't look back with regret, but the system has to be setup in a way to weed out those who want it more from those who want it less.

escobert
10-13-2007, 07:30 AM
they cared too much about homework in my school. I got 80s-90s on tests but I couldn't be arsed to do any homework.

Rengori
10-13-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't take a single AP or Honors class. I'm sure I'm eligable but I don't want to that much pressure.

Rye
10-13-2007, 02:49 PM
If you were number one we wouldn't be having this discussion.

...Obviously. xD But that would never have happened, silly sally. The top 5 have been decided since pretty much early middle school. Our school had a ghetto system in elementary school where the "smarter" kids take an IQ test, and the ones that get a certain percentage get into the smarter kid program, and they take more advanced classes throughout elementary and middle school, so they basically were definitely going to be in the top ranking, even though IQ tests are stupid and tell you nothing. Apparently, I was a point away from getting in. Lawl!

blackmage_nuke
10-13-2007, 03:05 PM
All the abreviations in this thread confuse me

To the point, the only reason i dont like class ranking is because im rather the intelligent type and any time someone gets higher than me theyre all like, "ah ha im a genius i beat the smart guy" and what not