PDA

View Full Version : So if I pick sword instead of Magicite...

ReloadPsi
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I always pick the Magicite when getting the Ragnarok Esper, simply because it teaches Ultima and I like to have every spell.

But if I pick the sword instead, is there some other way of learning Ultima?

10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Yep, you learn it from the paladin shield.

I always used to take the magicite too. Then last time I took the sword just to be different and found out it is well worth it.

Bolivar
10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I always grab the sword, Ultima is really unnecessary at the end of the game if you have the right people using the right magic.

ReloadPsi
10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Incidentally I did have on incident where I was sort of cheating, and made my characters hit level 99 as early as possible in the game. Locke learned Ultima, and I dunno how :P

Zeromus_X
10-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I usually pick the Esper, since it's just less time-consuming to Morph the monsters into the items I want. In the GBA version, it's actually the best to pick the Esper, since you can get Ragnarok swords through other means.

Crossblades
10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
I usually pick the Esper, since it's just less time-consuming to Morph the monsters into the items I want. In the GBA version, it's actually the best to pick the Esper, since you can get Ragnarok swords through other means.

But if you trade the Ragnarok at the Colliseum, you'll get an even better sword, the Illumina

cloud21zidane16
10-14-2007, 11:14 PM
I usually pick the magicite but next time i play maybe ill pick the sword for a change:)

blackmage_nuke
10-14-2007, 11:38 PM
The characters i use most dont really use swords, and if they did, most of them have better abilities where they dont need the sword anyway.

theundeadhero
10-15-2007, 12:25 AM
I always get the sword, because when you look at it, learning Ultima is a waste of time. You don't need it.

Heath
10-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I hate having to make that decision because I like to have at least one of every sword and every magic spell, so it drives me slightly mad having to decide. The first time I did, I ended up choosing, only to reload my save outside of Narshe so I could choose a different option.

These days though I tend to take the Sword, simply because I never bother with the Esper and I can learn Ultima from the Paladin Shield, even if that is a right pain to get.

Zeromus_X
10-15-2007, 01:18 AM

But if you trade the Ragnarok at the Colliseum, you'll get an even better sword, the Illumina

There isn't really anything in the SNES version that requires the overkill from the Illumina's stat boosts, so I don't find it necessary in that version. Well, unless I were going to fight Seigfried in the Coliseum or something.

sefirosu
10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
...since you can get Ragnarok swords through other means.
Would you be kind enough to fill me in on this one? :D I own the GBA version too.

Momiji
10-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Genji Glove + Illumina = Win.

I could get Ultima through the Paladin Shield anyway.

ljkkjlcm9
10-15-2007, 08:28 PM
I always took the sword on the SNES version, but on the GBA version, you can save after fighting kefka, and you can steal an Ultima Weapons and a Ragnarok sword from the statues you fight. AKA for all you out there, you can have unlimited Ragnarok swords(bet at Coliseum for Lightbringer) and Ultima Weapons, while still getting the esper so you can have "100%" completion.

THE JACKEL

Siegfried
10-15-2007, 09:07 PM

There isn't really anything in the SNES version that requires the overkill from the Illumina's stat boosts, so I don't find it necessary in that version. Well, unless I were going to fight Seigfried in the Coliseum or something.

:p :p :p

empower
11-29-2007, 09:29 PM
<3 gengi gengi illumina.

I remember this combo from when I was a kid.

Roto13
11-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Do you mean two Genji gloves? Because that would be pretty pointless. :P

Slothy
11-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Genji Glove with Illumina would have been pretty pointless anyway since you could only have one Illumina in the old SNES version. Sure you could have another sword in there, but it's not like you need the most powerful sword in the game to decimate opponents.

Anywho, I always took the Esper in the SNES version and I would be even happier taking it in the GBA version. Getting the Esper was always faster than uncursing the cursed shield, and Gem Box+Gold Hairpin/Economizer+Quick+Ultima will pretty much never fail to kill everything on the battlefield.

Roto13
11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
I taught all of my characters Ultima and spammed it at Kefka. :P Sucker.

ScottNUMBERS
12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Would you be kind enough to fill me in on this one? :D I own the GBA version too.
You can steal one from one of the final bosses (one of the pair before fighting Kefka's final form).

Flying Mullet
12-01-2007, 01:39 AM
You can steal one from one of the final bosses (one of the pair before fighting Kefka's final form).
It's the girl on the 3rd section of the final boss, right before Kefka.

Saber
07-20-2008, 01:44 AM
How do you get the paladin shield and can you equip it on everyone?

Roto13
07-20-2008, 04:36 AM
You get it by having the cursed shield equipped in 255 battles. Everyone can equip it except Umaro.

Vyk
07-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Do you mean two Genji gloves? Because that would be pretty pointless. :P

My guess is he meant Gengi + Offering. But who knows

I have a question though. Leveling up with Espers is one of the main reasons to have them. So I'm guessing Ragnarok doesn't have super advanced stat leveling abilities that would make you miss him during power leveling?

Denmark
07-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Genji Glove + Illumina = Win.

Genji Glove + Offering + Illumina + Atma Weapon + Lv 99 = Overkill. :D

I usually take the sword. Just to get the Illumina.

And isn't Ultima naturally learned by Terra and Celes anyway?

Flying Mullet
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Terra learns Ultima at level 99, Celes learns Meteor at level 98.

CelestialStarDust
08-12-2008, 05:21 PM
But does illumina randomly cast magic?the esper sword casts flare,i've noticed.

Karellen
08-13-2008, 06:28 AM
It casts holy (pearl), I believe.

CelestialStarDust
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Ah yes.and its much more powerful...i'll pick the sword every time :D

Saber
08-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Half the time I never even use Espers. So I got the sword and changed it in for the illumina. Isn't Gilgamish in ffXII using a spell called illumina? Btw I'm leveling up all my characters to level 99. 7 of them so far done, and I've learnt every spell in the game with everyone except for Gau.

CelestialStarDust
08-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Half the time I never even use Espers. So I got the sword and changed it in for the illumina. Isn't Gilgamish in ffXII using a spell called illumina? Btw I'm leveling up all my characters to level 99. 7 of them so far done, and I've learnt every spell in the game with everyone except for Gau.

thats because gau's magic stinks.no offense.

i dont know about an illumina spell,but i do know he uses various swords from ff games.cloud's sword,squall's sword,some...other sword :confused:

speaking of which,celes' pretty graphics picture looks like shes holding ragnorok in my opinion.

IPTC
10-29-2008, 06:32 AM
I always pick the magicite.

Atma Weapon ftw!