PDA

View Full Version : Hard Candy

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Who's seen it? It's about a young girl who lures a pedophile on the internet and takes complete, sadistic and cruel revenge on him. I adore this movie because it messes with your mind, morals and all of societal expectations of morality. Cuz a moral, good person wouldn't castrate someone, right? But... what if this guy was a pedophile? Hmmm... part of you wants to say " no! Torture is never right!" but the other part is screaming " Oh sweet bliss! I love it!"
*** This is now the official Hard Candy discussion thread ***
Unless someone beat me to it in which case let me know and I'll delete it. So, everyone who has seen this grotesque, magical movie post to your heart's desire.

Jojee
10-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Sounds scary. Eek. I wouldn't castrate anyone. Except perhaps Rengori, he wants me to be a pedophile >:O

I guess serial rapists or something might deserve that :p But that stuff is still too much for me.

Rengori
10-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Except perhaps Rengori, he wants me to be a pedophile >:O

I love you too Jojo.

Yeah, I haven't seen the movie either, but it sounds like it'd be good but really sadistic and fucked up.

Seraphic
10-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I absolutely LOVED this movie! lol
The cinematography was really amazing and I love how theres no music even in the suspenseful scenes.
The suspense builds up all on its own without using cheap effects and music.
All the sounds and such are extremely subtle,and the dialogue between the two characters is just sooo amazingly engaging.
I fell in love with Ellen Paige after this movie.
And the ending song is by Blonde Redhead,what is there NOT to like about this movie.
I recommend it to everyone ^^

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
SPOILER ALERT

I agree, Seraphic. I especially appreciated how how every thing you said was point blank and blatant and even though it was cruel you were thinking exactly what she was saying. Loved the ending especially. When he admits to who was responsible she just says " That's what Aaron said before he hung himself" and the horror in his face then is so priceless. She becomes not a kid to kill at that moment but the angel of death. Very beautiful. The layout of his house is also very good. It keeps things simple and it also is like the mask he wears. The mask of a normal, simple man. This movie has a stormy tension to it. It throws you to and fro. At one point you're wholeheartedly on her side but the next your questioning whether she's sane. Especially when he starts screaming. You really begin to question her sanity. But she doesn't. She makes no excuses and she stays true to her convictions. She becomes, in essence, a sturdy rock for you to hang onto while you're feeling overwhelmed by your doubt and his screaming.

Bunny
10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
It was alright.

Jess
10-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't overly impressed. I can't explain it.

Shiny
10-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Both characters suck. Evil, twisted people.

Necronopticous
10-15-2007, 08:17 PM
It was a good premise, but the execution was terrible. Everything that happens is completely foreordained and brainless.

What a letdown.

Bunny
10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't overly impressed. I can't explain it.\

No need! Just wait for your friendly neighborhood Necronopticous to save the day.

It was a good premise, but the execution was terrible. Everything that happens is completely foreordained and brainless.

What a letdown.

Firefox would like me to correct your name for you. It has designated you Aeroacoustic and so shall you be.

Jess
10-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Basically, yeah.

jrgen
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
All it does is satisfy people's appreciation of torture. I bet they wrote the script first, but no one thought it was acceptable, so they just added an extra paragraph saying "Oh yeah, and the dude is a pedophile."

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 03:53 AM
All it does is satisfy people's appreciation of torture. I bet they wrote the script first, but no one thought it was acceptable, so they just added an extra paragraph saying "Oh yeah, and the dude is a pedophile."
It's a natural hunger I deal with. I really can't help it. It's in my blood.

Calliope
10-17-2007, 09:25 AM
This was overdone. No glorification of torture is okay with me.

MKusanagi
10-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Oh but it was gratifying! Besides, the movie wasn't trying to glorify torture so much as---- eh, who am I fooling? Yeah it glorifies torture... of pedophiles! It wasn't that epic of a film to go and say "yes, torture good!" It was addressing the reality that a pedophile is doomed to always be a pedophile. They can't help it. So, why keep 'em alive?