PDA

View Full Version : Degree hopping...

MKusanagi
10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Damn, I just can't decide what to do! It's frustrating. I'm a person who needs things to be structured and SET, above all. Here's my problem. I love international affairs. I was and kinda still am a member of Amnesty International. I wanted to be a doctor without borders for a time. But ultimately the truth is... I just don't know what I want to do in life. I'd love to be apart of SWAT or a counterintelligence squad. CIA, FBI, PD or Army, it doesn't matter. I'm interested. But I also like to draw. I've been told I have an amazing talent to draw. But I kinda suck now since I quit drawing for awhile. I love anime and manga. I'd love to be a manga artist. Me and the rest of the world. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe I would like a science or computer science degree. I'll sum it up:
Question--> How do I know I'd really be right for a degree in art or science? ( I've got to make a decision, soon. Next semester's coming up and I've jumped from Business math, psychology, anthropology, theater, philosophy and history. I need to make a decision and stick with it for my sanity's sake.)

Note:
Business Math: easy, failed it last time but upon retaking it I realized it was simple.
Psychology: jades and amazes me. I just hate studies.
Anthropology: was easy and kinda redundant.
Theater: I hate.
Philosophy: is something I enjoy but I hated the class (mind you, i was drinking all the time and hardly cared about anything else)
History: interests me only when its used in context meaning I don't like history by itself. There has to be larger issue that makes history relevant in SUPPORTING it for me to care.
Computer Science: took one class a looooong time ago, fairly computer savvy
Science: I enjoy astronomy. Physics is pretty interesting. It would be hard, though. But that is kinda why it appeals to me. I don't feel I'm being challenged in my other classes. (except journalism tests my patience and history tests my memory) Plus, having a science degree would be good for FBI, CIA, etc...
International Affairs: Something I can discuss all day but I'd rather do something about it.
Art: I'd really only use art as a hobby. But I'm not a great self-teacher so that is why I'm considering a degree.

o_O
10-16-2007, 02:16 AM
I've also taken quite a range of subjects at uni. I'm officially a computer science/maths double major, but I did enough papers to make up a major in philosophy (computation and logic, not the airy-fairy stuff), physics and geography.

In choosing subjects I definitely chose ones which I enjoyed most. I found that as a result of doing stuff I enjoy, I found success, so computer science and maths were my best subjects.

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 03:50 AM
And what makes you feel like you're fit to be a math major? I'm just analyzing you to see if I have a similar spark.

Laddy
10-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Philosophy is the best, Literature is also nice.

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 05:37 AM
But there's really only one job option for philosophy majors: be a philosophy professor. Literature is not my strong point.

Heath
10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know if it's the case across the pond, but in Britain many jobs require just a degree in anything, it's the fact that you've got a degree that matters. Be it a physics degree, a philosophy degree or a history degree.

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
It's very different here.

I'm really thinking about physics. International Affairs and Physics. Serious. I'm just worried I'll look like a complete idiot and get my heart broken by my inability to keep up.

o_O
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
And what makes you feel like you're fit to be a math major? I'm just analyzing you to see if I have a similar spark.

Maths has always been a subject I've enjoyed. I've achieved decent results in all of the mathematics papers which I've taken which I attribute to the fact that I enjoy it.

MKusanagi
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Okay, see I was afraid that if you hadn't shown extreme early interest (math clubs, math leagues, etc...) then you probably weren't meant for that major. Somewhat like someone who'd never taken violin before and suddenly wanted to get a degree in music. I've taken honors courses my entire HS career. Except senior year I slacked off. I have always been extremely interested in physics but when I got a 78% in algebra II honors I lost confidence and figured oh well, I guess I'm not competent enough. Which in hindsight was a pretty bad way to get down on oneself. But I kinda realized when I was studying my chemistry class... wait I love physics. It's almost like I made myself forget I'd ever liked astronomy and physics. Truth is that I would have done better in that class and astronomy if I hadn't been so lazy. Highschool apathy, I suppose. But I have changed. And I don't see why I shouldn't limit myself.