PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, Square Enix? Chrono Trigger here... could I, um, get a promotion, please?

Dr. Acula
10-16-2007, 05:17 AM
While Squenix is off remaking some Final Fantasies, the young and lonely Chrono Trigger- in my opinion, one of the best games in the world- remains forgotten.
Anyway, would you like to see Chrono Trigger remade? I personally, would love have my own copy of Chrono Trigger in my hands.

Rostum
10-16-2007, 05:43 AM
I would rather they port it over to the DS, maybe up the sprite resolution and introduce some new elements.

blackmage_nuke
10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
As long as there's no voice acting. It would be awkward for people to be having conversations and then direct a question to chrono and you choose the answer then he doesnt say anything and the conversation continues as if he had answered, and if they were to say the answers you choose, chrono having a voice would probably take away his mysterious feel. Otherwise a game with the same battle system and plot with a few added storylines would be great.

JerseyMage
10-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Dude, did you see the 3-d remake of Chrono Trigger on youtube? It looks awesome.

Heath
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Dude, did you see the 3-d remake of Chrono Trigger on youtube? It looks awesome.

Chrono Resurrection? That looked absolutely fantastic in terms of graphics and music. Really quite disappointed that Square shut it down, really.

I'd love a DS port of Chrono Trigger. It's my favourite SNES RPG and the thought of playing it again, possibly with even more side quests and added features would be absolutely lovely.

Dr. Acula
10-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I think a 3D remake for the DS (or maybe PSP, but I can't afford a PSP) would be great, but, as blackmage_nuke stated, voice acting could be awkward, so I'd pass on that part.:D

Zechs
10-17-2007, 07:11 AM
I would love anything Chrono in the future. Though once it was brought up to them, they replied with: We would love to do another Chrono, we just don't know if we can get the team back to do it. There was a certain feel that the team brought to Trigger and to Cross. We would need most of them to make the setting and feeling of Chrono again.

Necronopticous
10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I'd be stoked if they gave the Matrix team the job after they finish IV, V, and VI, but I don't see it happening.

XxSephirothxX
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sure something will come out of Chrono Trigger eventually. If they could make another sequel (be it direct or indirect) as good as Chrono Cross, I would be absolutely thrilled.

A remake is probably more likely, though, and I'd be good with that too. A DS port would certainly be nice. Get rid of that horrendous loading time from the PS1 version.

cloud21zidane16
10-18-2007, 01:44 AM
A remake would be good but i dont think thatll be happening for a longtime.

The Lich
10-18-2007, 04:27 AM
I'm sure something will come out of Chrono Trigger eventually. If they could make another sequel (be it direct or indirect) as good as Chrono Cross, I would be absolutely thrilled.

A remake is probably more likely, though, and I'd be good with that too. A DS port would certainly be nice. Get rid of that horrendous loading time from the PS1 version.Yeah the PS1 port was a disappointment in that respect. They did add a few nice cut scenes but not worth the loading time. If they make a decent port for the DS I would so buy it.

Dr. Acula
10-18-2007, 04:32 AM

A remake is probably more likely, though, and I'd be good with that too. A DS port would certainly be nice. Get rid of that horrendous loading time from the PS1 version.Yeah the PS1 port was a disappointment in that respect. They did add a few nice cut scenes but not worth the loading time. If they make a decent port for the DS I would so buy it.

I don't think the PS1 port even reached PAL territories.

Nifleheim7
10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't think the PS1 port even reached PAL territories.

No,unfortunately it never did.:(
I'm crossing my fingers that one day,both chrono games will get a proper PAL release.
Until then,"Dear Square Enix,please stop treating PAL users like trash.":(

Eiko Guy
10-20-2007, 12:49 AM
*geekgasms* i love that idea. I love the feeling the game brings to itself. theres no righteous we have to save the world. it always seems to be personal. Except for the beginning with Lavos and such that seemed like "How are they supposed to stop them....lvl up"

NeoCracker
10-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Screw that. Give it a full overhaul in PS3 Graphics. Keep Gameplay the Same though.

ReloadPsi
10-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I would rather they port it over to the DS, maybe up the sprite resolution and introduce some new elements.

And that better be all they do. Such a thing would rock very hard.

leader of mortals
10-20-2007, 08:58 PM
This would be the best game ever on the face of the earth to be remade for the DS.

Lawr
10-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Screw that. Give it a full overhaul in PS3 Graphics. Keep Gameplay the Same though.

Yeah, they should. I can already see it now, Magus in 3D. :drool:

Heath
10-21-2007, 01:01 PM

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/media/screenshots/magus.jpg :p

blackmage_nuke
10-21-2007, 01:04 PM

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/media/screenshots/magus.jpg :p:eek: Why would a magician need that much muscle?

scrumpleberry
10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't understand why they closed Chrono Resurrection. They could have made a mint if they'd actively invested in and supported the project.

Zechs
10-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Either they have something planned for Chrono, they don't want to be shown up, or they feel that it would take away from them. Either way, we don't know. Though, Chrono Break is still...

Bolivar
10-25-2007, 05:02 AM
To be honest, I don't believe it needs a remake. Anyone in the PAL territories, just download the ROM. If the feel isn't the same, buy a controller for your comp and if that doesn't do it, hook the vid up to a tv.

CT still dwarves most games released today, I agree with Omecle that a resolution upgrade could benefit, but that's about it.

Irenicuss
10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah Chrono trigger ! A remake would be fun, not portable tough, killing my neck. There's barley any rpg games to the ps3 so that would be something. Ps2 would work if they dare.

Lenneth
10-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah. I was pretty pissed off when I learned that they threatened to sue the guys who were making CT:R if they didn't stop.

It's craparoni.

The Unknown Guru
10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
No. I don't want the value of my SNES copy to drop one penny.

But yeah, it would be awesome.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
11-09-2007, 04:43 PM
how about adding it to the Wii's virtual console at least.

geez SE i dont know what you problem is but we want more CT!

:mad2:

Kawaii Ryûkishi
11-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Be careful what you wish. After Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, The World of Mana, Ivalice Alliance, and Fabula Nova Crystallis, the Chrono universe could very well be their next target for whoring out a franchise for all it's worth.

Skyblade
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM

No. Do not do this. The PS3 Tech Demo of FFVII convinced me that nothing before the PS2 era should ever be upgraded to that graphic level. They don't know how to handle the conversion properly. It would look more realistic, but we'd lose some of the feel of the game, and I do not want that to happen.

If they did it similar to the way Chrono Resurrection was doing it, it might work, but that has not been SE's graphical style on their newer games at all.

I say port it to the DS, enhance the graphics a little bit (without changing their style or format), but other than that, leave it alone. A Chrono Trigger remake could be brilliant, but, if they ruin it, they will ruin one of the best games of all time.

Crossblades
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
I would to like to see this game re-released in some form, whether it be for the DS or the Wii Virtual Console. Hell, I'd even buy a PSP if it was released for that

chionos
12-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I don't really want to see a remake, not with a game as great as CT is. A port to DS would be fantastic, but the game's too wonderfully perfect as-is to try to overhaul...furthermore SE is full of blundering idiots these days, they would certainly do more harm than good. And then there's what le faux homme said.

the Chrono universe could very well be their next target for whoring out a franchise for all it's worth.
Which would probably be even more of a shame than what they've done to Final Fantasy, since it is kind of to be expected from such a franchise, but not Chrono, that would just be wrong.

Momiji
12-05-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't really want to see a remake, not with a game as great as CT is. A port to DS would be fantastic, but the game's too wonderfully perfect as-is to try to overhaul...furthermore SE is full of blundering idiots these days, they would certainly do more harm than good. And then there's what le faux homme said.

the Chrono universe could very well be their next target for whoring out a franchise for all it's worth.
Which would probably be even more of a shame than what they've done to Final Fantasy, since it is kind of to be expected from such a franchise, but not Chrono, that would just be wrong.

A GBA/DS port would be fantastic! :D

VeloZer0
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
A port would be meh.

A full cell shaded remake would be cool

A third installment would be by far the best.

The one thing I actively dislike about ports/remakes is not the game that comes out, but the fact resources are diverted from producing new games. I've played the old ones before, and although playing them in a marginally different way is cool, wouldn't having a new game be so much cooler?

Roto13
12-08-2007, 08:09 AM
I should really play Chrono Cross again.

Dreddz
12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I'd rather Square Enix used their time to make new games instead of porting and remaking everything they've already made. Especially good games that don't need to be remade.

Heath
12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't mind CC being ported or something because it'd give me a chance to play the game. Damn non-Europe release.

Roto13
12-10-2007, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't mind CC being ported or something because it'd give me a chance to play the game. Damn non-Europe release.

Chrono Cross was never released in Europe? Man, I'm so glad I don't live in Europe.

Nifleheim7
12-10-2007, 01:18 AM
^Square Enix hates Europe.:(

Karellen
12-10-2007, 03:30 AM
To hell with Chrono Cross, PAL regions still haven't receive Chrono Trigger. Thank God for emulators.

Heath
12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
To hell with Chrono Cross, PAL regions still haven't receive Chrono Trigger. Thank God for emulators.

Holy crap, good point. I forgot that the Playstation version wasn't released in Europe. Thank God for emulators indeed.

Roogle
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
A port would be meh.

A full cell shaded remake would be cool

A third installment would be by far the best.

The one thing I actively dislike about ports/remakes is not the game that comes out, but the fact resources are diverted from producing new games. I've played the old ones before, and although playing them in a marginally different way is cool, wouldn't having a new game be so much cooler?

I agree. Square Enix should have the resources to create a new game in this series and please a lot of fans of the original two games, but it takes a lot of fan input to convince them to shift their focus.

Rostum
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I remember modding my PSX and waiting forever for my Chrono Cross import to arrive.

I would definitely rather a third game instead of a remake, if that was an option.

VeloZer0
12-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Unfortunately, remakes are far cheaper and a guaranteed profit, new games are expensive and speculative. Looking at it from a business point of view it makes the outlook even blearier.

Akaria
01-29-2008, 04:59 AM
I actually agree with Omecle...I don't think a remake of CT would work. Personally, I hated the PS1 version. The cutscenes were unnecessary, and kinda destroyed the picture I had in my head of the characters from when I was younger. 3D would be cool, but I think it would be better suited to a continuation of the series. I loved how Chrono Cross threw in references to CT every once in a while...it made me feel so special, like I somehow got something more out of it because I had played CT. I know there was the rumored Chrono Break a while ago that a name copyright had temporarily been placed on, but it would be pretty cool for that to come back.:love:

crono_logical
01-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I didn't like the PS1 version of CT either, the load times were so horrid at each battle I just gave up playing it after a short while :p The gameplay flowed so much more nicely in the SNES version :p

Akaria
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, really! Even the load time to the freaking menu...Cmon, guys, really? Unnecessary.

Wuggly Blight
02-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Any more Chrono series is unlikely, the Chrono Team has split up and since left Square completely. Two of the driving members have stated they would be intrested in doing another, but they left due to frustration, and the third has since cut off all ties and refuses to have anything more to do with it, unless a reconcilation is on the cards, there won't be any more.

Roogle
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Some game series continue without input from the lead developers or the lead creator of the series. If Square Enix wants to pursue a game in this series, they can do so without the cooperation of the original team of developers that made the game.

The Suikoden series has continued without input from its original team. Some gamers have noticed a lack of direction in the series since a certain part of Suikoden III.

Wuggly Blight
02-12-2008, 07:43 PM
During a Cubed³ interview on February 1, 2007, Square Enix’s Senior Vice President Hiromichi Tanaka said that although no sequel is currently planned, some sort of sequel is still possible if the Chrono Cross developers can be reunited.
In January 2008, composer Yasunori Mitsuda remarked that "there are a lot of politics involved" in creating a new game

I don't think Square would attempt to make a game without the core people that made it was it was and such a hit.

Nakor TheBlue Rider
02-16-2008, 03:45 PM
yah well a lot of people never thought SE would sell the souls of the FF7 cast for a few extra bucks either.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
02-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think Square would attempt to make a game without the core people that made it was it was and such a hit.They certainly didn't have any problem making Chrono Cross without any involvement from Horii or Toriyama.