PDA

View Full Version : Archers?

ReloadPsi
10-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Finally got FF Tactics, and the first thing I discovered is that Black Mages (Wizards) are somewhat less crappy than their predecessors.

The second thing I've discovered is that I can't work out how to make my Archers shoot over objects. Enemy archers can do it (and regularly give me a hard time by doing so) but I can't. Can someone explain this please?

I'm guessing it has something to do with what type of weapon I have; my Archer is currently equipped with a crossbow, but are there longbows that shoot in arcs? I know that'd make sense but I've not been playing the game long enough to be sure.

BG-57
10-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I believe that crossbows, like guns, work with line of sight, while bows can fire over obstancles.

Gilthanes
10-16-2007, 02:28 PM
The mechanics are very different for Crossbow/Guns and Bows.

Crossbows/Guns: A Set range to attack with, and will hit something between your target and you if its in the line of sight. This includes other characters or obstructions like walls, rocks, etc. This also means you can target someone 1 block away from you, even if the target range doesnt allow it (Crossbows have a minimum range of like 3 blocks away). As long as you line up your shot so that the bullet/bolt goes through the square that your target is in, it will hit

Bows: They have a base range to attack with (with no minimum range). But as your height increases, your attack range increases proportionately as well. Such that if your Height is 10+ and the rest of the battlefield is 1-2, your attack range with that Bow could hit almost anything on the map. Bows will also shoot over walls and other obstacles most of the time.

For the most part, Bows tend to be better. Give a bow user Ignore Height or an insanely high Jump rating, and perch them on the highest point in the field, and they can hit almost anything and also leaves them relatively safe from melee attacks. (This would be why Archers have Jump+ movement ability). The main perk that a Crossbow has over a Bow is the ability to equip a shield as well, which can be useful if you are fighting in a field that offers no height benefit for an archer to take advantage of, and/or is very tight narrow battlefield with little room to move. You cant obtain a Bow until after you fight Miluda for the first time I think, until then its just Crossbows. If you are adamant, you can steal a bow from the highest archer in Dorter, which gives you access to a bow a few battles earlier. Its a nice addition for the battle after Dorter, being able to shoot over walls.

The Amazing Spiderman
10-17-2007, 10:43 PM
I was remembering something some time ago....

It is just me, of the % of success of the bow hitting an enemy is lowered by certain conditions, like if you're fighting in the night?

BG-57
10-18-2007, 01:57 AM
To be certain weather affects elemental spells.

Gilthanes
10-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Not taking any time to look up any battle mechanics, off hand I want to say Rain weakens Ranged attacks, as well as +Lighting Dmg, and -Fire dmg

The ability "Any Weather" removes these penalties, cant remember who teaches that

The Amazing Spiderman
10-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Geez, I'm getting old on this....hehe! I new to start a new game.

Any weather....was it from the Oracle?

Well, anyway, the Concentrate Skill is just right for the bow.
It is more helpful as you advance in the game, when they start selling decent equipment with High Evasion like Crystal Shield and Feather Mantle....those are a pain in the rear to hit with the archer. =/

Consider it if you're using archers.

BG-57
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Also Short Charge can be a lifesaver.

Gilthanes
10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I was under the impression Short Charge does not effect the Archers charged shots, considering 2 things

1) its not a spell, so its not like with superior concentration you can pull your bowstring back any stronger/faster

2) if you use Gameshark to add NoCharge ability to someone, I'm 99% sure that it doesnt effect an Archers charged shots (or could you imagine, instant Charge+20 shots.. /drool)

BG-57
10-19-2007, 02:42 AM
I was under the impression that it could affect things like Cloud's Limit and such, but I could be mistaken. I don't use that skill often.

Any Weather is an Oracle skill.

Gilthanes
10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Clouds limits yeah, effected by Short/No charge. Archers "Charge", Lancers Jump, and MAYBE Dance/Sing are the things not effected by Short/No Charge.

I've never technically tried Sing/Dance with No Charge, but if it had no charge it would infinitely repeat over and over, unless Short/No charge simply made the initial cast time of it shorter (which isnt that long usually anyways)

Luckily Clouds Limits are considered a spell-based charge time

.:kerrod:.
10-20-2007, 01:53 AM
'no charge'?! who has that?! i want it! i didnt even think it existed :confused:

The Amazing Spiderman
10-20-2007, 04:56 AM
'no charge'?! who has that?! i want it! i didnt even think it existed :confused:

"Non charge" is a unique skill from the game that can only be gained via hacking with FFTastic or Gameshark. Sorry.

Gilthanes
10-21-2007, 02:56 AM
Not sure why they left it out, make it very expensive skill (3k+ pts) from Mime class or something if necessary. Balance-wise, having instant-cast Raise2 or Bahamut isnt any worse than Orlandu doing Lightning Stab on 3 targets for 500+ dmg each

BG-57
10-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Fortunately some of the best skills are instantaneous.