PDA

View Full Version : elder scrolls 4: oblivion

basche12
10-16-2007, 08:50 PM
alright im going to buy a ps3 in about two weeks and i want everyones opinion on oblivion. i am more than likely going to buy the game of the year edition so i can have shivering isles and knights of the nine. one of my friends has the game for 360 and i have played around with it before and absolutely loved it. is it really worth paying 60 bucks for or should i get something else????

LunarWeaver
10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd say definitely get it. There's so much content packed in that game it will take you a long ass time to get the most out of it. And the beauty is it's all your choice, as you can blow through the main storyline or do it all. It really is an amazing game. More than that, it's one of the only role-playing games that actually lets you role-play. I bought the Game of the Year Edition, and you'll probly just want the xpacs later if you don't get it now, so I would recommend that one.

Markus. D
10-17-2007, 03:54 AM
There are not many other fantastic games on the PS3 at the moment so by all means n_n-b

Rase
10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
$60 for literally hundreds of hours of gameplay? Yeah, sounds like a good idea to me.

Dragonsoul
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
I have the original game for Xbox 360 plus the strategy guide. It's the 2nd edition of the strategy guide, which also has a guide for the first expansion pack, Knights of the Nine.

The game is great! I decided not to beat it because it's too long for me to beat right now. It's great but I need to beat some other games that have a higher priority for me. If you don't want to spend a huge amount of time it's like 150-200 hours right? If you do everything, it can take 400 hours, correct? If the hours counts from me are a little off, it's still gonna show you the huge amount of content this game has.

Here's the current Playstation 3 line up, in chronological release date...

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, more of an action game than an action rpg. It got high critical and user reviews and sales, but many people may not consider this an rpg, you can rent it though. It came out on a lot of systems also.

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, a PS 3 exclusive action rpg, is out, but the reviews are ok, this game isn't too critical/important.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/Knights of the Nine expansion pack). This is a first person rpg and it's extremely high quality and long. It got high critical reviews, high user reviews, and high sales. It's one of the top 4 rpg's from 2006, which I consider to be the best year in rpg's ever. It's by far the best rpg on Playstation 3.

Enchanted Arms. This is a traditional rpg, which also came out earlier on Xbox 360. The game's reviews aren't too high, the game has some flaws. It's not too important/critical.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year edition(includes Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, and the 2nd expansion pack The Shivering Isles). Look for my text in the other paragraph on Oblivion. Get this game!

Folklore. This is an action rpg that came out last week. The reviews are kinda good, you should rent this and Oblivion and buy the one you like better. There are no more PS 3 rpg's coming out this year.

Right now The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is by far the best rpg on Playstation 3's system but some people might like Folklore.

Just for fun, I'll list all Xbox 360 rpg's in Usa, in chronological release order:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Final Fantasy XI(w/3 Expansion packs)
Enchanted Arms
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Phantasy Star Universe
The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles
Overlord
Two Worlds
Blue Dragon
The Elder Scrolls IV: Game of the Year Edition(Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, The Shivering Isles)
Eternal Sonata

later this year...
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess(4th expansion pack)
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus(1st expansion pack)
Mass Effect

Also, here's all the Wii rpg's
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Alien Syndrome

later this year...
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Next year is gonna be great for PS 3, it will finally have great console exclusive rpg's...
Spring PS 3 rpg's:
The Last Remnant
Fall PS 3 rpg's:
Fallout 3(also Xbox 360, possibly PC too)
Disgaea 3
White Knight Story
FINAL FANTASY XIII!!!

Rostum
10-18-2007, 01:14 AM
I think if he wanted to know the whole line up for RPG's on each system, he'd check a gaming website like IGN or something. :p

Oblivion is alright. I recently started playing it, but I get bored here and there with it. Everyone else seems to love it though, so you might like it too.

Dragonsoul
10-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Yea your avatar is great, it's a ghost from Super Mario World!

Yea, I like to list all those games though, it's fun for me, and I can quickly give great info to him.

Oblivion came out a week before Kingdom Hearts 2. Those are both super huge rpg's that appeal to generally different audiences. Rase have you played Kingdom Hearts 2?

LunarWeaver
10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I doubt anybody can remember or help me with this, but I might as well ask because I'm at my wit's end.

To get the Skeleton Key, you activate the quest at a shrine when level 10. I did that, and she told me to go Leyawiin and find two thieves that stole her Eye. But there's no markers of any kind in the town, which means, I assume, that she wants me to stalk everybody. That would be the definition of boring. Does anybody know who these two thieves happen to be? I've checked all kinds of FAQs and they all say, "K, find the two thieves now lol" and that's it.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Paying $60 for a 15 hour campaign is ridiculous, but Oblivion should give you at least 200 hours, so yes, it's fully worth it. I've played the game for about 70 hours now and I must say it's the best game I've ever played. Besides, by paying the full price, you're letting the developers know that you really like this type of game and that more such games should be made.

Dragonsoul
10-18-2007, 09:53 PM
If you do only the main quest, I think it's 20 hours. If you do all the sidequests, I think it's 400 hours. This is the longest rpg(besides Mmorpg's) I ever heard of. Is there any other rpg(besides Mmorpg's) besides The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion that can give out over 200 hours of play time? I think Final Fantasy XII can get to 200 or nearly 200 if you do everything, what else?

Madame Adequate
10-19-2007, 12:32 AM
It ain't no Morrowind, but it's still a pretty great game and worth sixth tenths of a Benjamin.