PDA

View Full Version : It's spelled colour, you burbles!

Peegee
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
How many of you Americanos spell using the english spelling rules? I'm just curios. See I can spell like an american too!

blackmage_nuke
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Curios sounds like a cereal. Possibly invented by Marie Curie filled, possibly with nuclear radiation.

And i will fight until coulour is an accepted spelling of the word

But i guess the question doesnt apply to me because im not american

Bunny
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
kaler.

Ouch!
10-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Given that my pre-school teacher was British, I've always jumped back and forth between British and American spellings. I do have to say, there is certainly something dignified about the optional u, but I often get a lot of crap for using it (from peers and teachers alike).

fire_of_avalon
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Houw can a letter be dignfied? It douesn't make any sense whatsouever.

Should I spell everything like this, Pureghettou?

Ouch!
10-17-2007, 03:10 PM

That's not dignified, that's retarded. You cannot deny, however, that honour > honor.

Tavrobel
10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Americanos... I'm just curios.

Never seen them spelled like that. One of them is a Spanish bastardization, and well, the other is just... not sure how you got that one.

Depends on the word. I've found that I use British spellings for 8+ letter words.

fire_of_avalon
10-17-2007, 03:20 PM

That's not dignified, that's retarded. You cannot deny, however, that honour > honor.

Your face is retarded! And they mean the same thing! Oune is just inefficient!

Rengori
10-17-2007, 03:27 PM
I like how you Brits treat your precious u's when you see Americans not using them in "-or" endings.

edczxcvbnm
10-17-2007, 03:42 PM
I spell with efficiency and use as few letters as poussible. I already suck at spelling sou why add moure pouintless letters tou my already hourrible proublems?

Maxico
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
ur fce is rtrded! an thy mn th sme thn! 1 is jst infficnt!

If you don't start writing like this from now on, starting now, you're a horrible hypocrite.

rubah
10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
I spell like I want to!!

Mirage
10-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I spell like a rubah!

Namelessfengir
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
i dont care as long as i can read it.

Jess
10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm english and I spell the english way. Is this a shock to you?

Araciel
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Spelling things properly is like a bad rash to statesians.

Momiji
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I spell things the correct way that makes sense. Color sounds more like it's spelled. Colour looks like it's pronounced 'col-oo-r'.

And I don't spell things wrong. I tend to ignore you Brits' silly spelling rules.

Araciel
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
clearly you haven't heard canadian stereotypes say words with ou in them.

Momiji
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Then again, isn't Canada part of North America?

Silly British wannabes. ;)

Araciel
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Actually, we just didn't forget where we came from.

/fights like 1812 biatch.

Momiji
10-17-2007, 05:43 PM
We haven't forgotten either, but we've modernized.

/fights like 2007 biatch

Fixed. ;)

ReloadPsi
10-17-2007, 05:54 PM
As a citizen of Great Britain, and having been a linguistics student in the past, I will vouch for the fact that American spellings make more sense than British spellings whether you like it or not. English is a horrible language that constantly breaks its own rules (as it has none; it's just a retarded mish-mash of several others) so the American spellings make more sense. It's just a shame they aren't accepted in England or I'd use those instead.

The German language had a spelling reform in 1998 in order to make more words in their language conform to the pronunciation rules. English is long overdue.

Anyway, some examples.

Colour - Color

The "ou" in "colour" implies the vowel should be longer, or pronounced totally different, yet it's not. "Color" makes slightly more sense in terms of pronunciation rules, though still not as much as, say, "coler".

Analogue - Analog

Does anyone even know what the "u" in "analogue" means in pronunciation rules? It's a hard vowel as opposed to "e", which is a soft vowel. This stops us pronouncing it "a-na-lowj" and means that, by the rules, it should be "a-na-lowg". But wait a sec, we pronounce it "a-na-log", don't we? What the hell is the silent "e" doing there?! American spelling totally wins this one. (Incidentally, going by the rules, the spelling of the words "vogue" and "vague" are totally correct: Silent "e" to change the first vowel, and a "u" to harden the "g".)

Bough - Bow (As in a branch and as part of a boat, respectively)

Here's my favourite! Read each of these words out loud.

Through
Thorough
Cough
Tough
Bough
Dough

Six words, same "ou" vowels and "gh" consonants, totally different pronunciations.

English fails as a language.

Ouch!
10-17-2007, 06:06 PM
As a citizen of Great Britain, and having been a linguistics student in the past, I will vouch for the fact that American spellings make more sense than British spellings whether you like it or not. English is a horrible language that constantly breaks its own rules (as it has none; it's just a retarded mish-mash of several others) so the American spellings make more sense. It's just a shame they aren't accepted in England or I'd use those instead.

The German language had a spelling reform in 1998 in order to make more words in their language conform to the pronunciation rules. English is long overdue.

Anyway, some examples.

Colour - Color

The "ou" in "colour" implies the vowel should be longer, or pronounced totally different, yet it's not. "Color" makes slightly more sense in terms of pronunciation rules, though still not as much as, say, "coler".

Analogue - Analog

Does anyone even know what the "u" in "analogue" means in pronunciation rules? It's a hard vowel as opposed to "e", which is a soft vowel. This stops us pronouncing it "a-na-lowj" and means that, by the rules, it should be "a-na-lowg". But wait a sec, we pronounce it "a-na-log", don't we? What the hell is the silent "e" doing there?! American spelling totally wins this one.

Bough - Bow (As in a branch and as part of a boat, respectively)

Here's my favourite! Read each of these words out loud.

Through
Thorough
Cough
Tough
Bough
Dough

Six words, same "ou" vowels and "gh" consonants, totally different pronunciations.

English fails as a language.
Sadly, I cannot argue with you on any of those points. I still love it to death, though.

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Iut's oudd, becase Iu jst leuft Bnny au sernote liuke thius threaud.

Color = cull-ooor.

Colour = Cull-ower.

Culler = culler. Therefore it should be spelled culler.

In fact, I am now going to rite lyk werds ar sed.

Heh. Ar sed looks like arsed.

Resha
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
It depends on what exam I'm taking. When I'm doing my A-Levels, I 'u' it up to their FACES. But when I'm doing my SATs, I ostracize the 'u' mercilessly.

:roll:

Jessweeee♪
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Color. Colour.

They both look weird o_o

LunarWeaver
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
I support the lazier color! That one extra letter will sap me of all my energy.

Disco Potato
10-18-2007, 06:31 AM
I think I subconsciously want to be British. Over the summer I spent a few weeks out of the country (i.e. out of the US) - not very long at all! - and now whenever I think of a word like color/colour, I instinctively picture it spelled the British way. If that makes any sense.

I also have a bad(?) habit of instinctively thinking that just because something is British, it must be better than the American version of the same thing :Oo:

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 08:56 AM
DP, you are correct, and it's not a bad habit.

Heath
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Color reads like collar to me. I've always said 'colour as 'colur' anyway, so the 'u' makes sense to me. Anyway, I rather obviously use British English and am quite happy doing so.

KentaRawr!
10-18-2007, 11:43 AM
How many of you Americanos spell using the english spelling rules? I'm just curios. See I can spell like an american too!

You spelled curious wrong.

Wait, curios doesn't send my Spell Check thingy off...

Well, I guess I spell Curious with English Spelling Rules, then.

Lawr
10-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Masque

Madame Adequate
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
ReloadPsi kinda won this thread.

I will say, however, that it's Britain who has changed things. Americans are closer to Middle English than we are. Make of that what you will, but seeing as British people seem to get so haughty about it because it's "their" language and they've got all this history and background using it...

Interesting point: Several Royal Navy ships in the 18th century were named 'HMS Enterprize'. Not even the Americans spell that word with a 'z' anymore, even though it makes more sense than an 's'.

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
ReloadPsi kinda won this thread.

I will say, however, that it's Britain who has changed things. Americans are closer to Middle English than we are. Make of that what you will, but seeing as British people seem to get so haughty about it because it's "their" language and they've got all this history and background using it...

Interesting point: Several Royal Navy ships in the 18th century were named 'HMS Enterprize'. Not even the Americans spell that word with a 'z' anymore, even though it makes more sense than an 's'.

STOP YOR LIEZ!

Miriel
10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
As a citizen of Great Britain, and having been a linguistics student in the past, I will vouch for the fact that American spellings make more sense than British spellings whether you like it or not.
Helloooo, Mr. Former linguistic student! Your assistance is needed in the Study Hall forum.

Zeldy
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I didnt know it was "bough" rather than "bow". "Colour" just looks better, and the bottom line is it is OUR language that you're speaking :]~

Araciel
10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
lol people mentioned rules when talking about english lol

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
i use the u's and i talk funny. i think im the only person i know that pronounces either "eye-ther". everyone else i know pronounces it "ee-ther". thats how i pronounce ethers (like restores mp), but everybody else pronounces it "eh-thers". hmmmm maybe im just retarded

Araciel
10-18-2007, 05:15 PM
i use the u's and i talk funny. i think im the only person i know that pronounces either "eye-ther". everyone else i know pronounces it "ee-ther". thats how i pronounce ethers (like restores mp), but everybody else pronounces it "eh-thers". hmmmm maybe im just retarded

ether has a sharper th than either.

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:18 PM
oh, well they never gave you a pronunciation guide in the user guide to final fantasy :P maybe i should write them a letter to them and ask them to include it w/ ff13

Araciel
10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
HEAR HEAR!

sick of people arguing over how to say cactuar

scrumpleberry
10-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm english and I spell the english way. Is this a shock to you?

^ same here.

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:27 PM
its kak-twar!!!! and its choh-kuh-bo w/ stress on first syllibal! no middle!!!!

Peegee
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Why do americans not remove the superfluous 'u' from the word 'your' ?

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
i dunno i pronounce it, just not where its supposed to be prononced. i pronounce it yuor like yoo-or

rubah
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Colour probably comes from when english was frenchified, I mean it's a lot closer to couleur, but we don't pronounce it like that anymore so maybe you guys should drop it 8)

Because it's not superfluous, it's from the stem 'you' :p and if that u was gone it would be 'yo'

There are some people who pronounce your as 'yor' (I guess I might do that about 40% of the time?) but I think the majority probably say 'yur' :p

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:43 PM

You spelled curious wrong.

Wait, curios doesn't send my Spell Check thingy off...

Well, I guess I spell Curious with English Spelling Rules, then.

well, my dear, that would be because a curio is a cabinet you put stuff in to diplay, like ornamental plates and stuff. we have one. at least, thats how i spell it. i dont think it querrio or something gay like that

http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-02-28/curio.jpg

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Either - EYE-ther. English has Germanish roots, therefore you should pronounce the last letter when it comes to ei/ie. The exceptions being the usual i before e, except after c words.

I don't like it when people say "neither this or that". It's neither this NOR that, bellend.

However, I don't moan at people, because language is a personal thing. Just because some other people understand you doesn't mean that you have no right to make it your own in some way.

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
i iz talking how i iz feelz leik. meh

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 05:52 PM
That's not talking, that's writing. WRITING LIKE A PILLOCK. :mad2:

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 05:58 PM
lol. jk. i talk with a sorta french accent (cuz im french-ish :spin: ) so i pronounce everything kinda like coleur. :) go me

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
That's so cool. :bigsmile:

ReloadPsi
10-18-2007, 06:07 PM
As a citizen of Great Britain, and having been a linguistics student in the past, I will vouch for the fact that American spellings make more sense than British spellings whether you like it or not.
Helloooo, Mr. Former linguistic student! Your assistance is needed in the Study Hall forum.

Um, that was just an unnecessarily pretentious term for "someone who did French and German to AS level" :P

Because it's a long vowel sound.

lol people mentioned rules when talking about english lol
Haha, well said!

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 06:10 PM
i was thinking that as my minor. im really good w/ languages. spanish sux though i hate it. but everybody in my town is like mexicans. farms=mexican immigrants. *sigh* i hate walking down the street cuz theyre all like "hola, chicka. como esta" and im all like" eh heh heh leave me be!" lol.

Bunny
10-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the English language. It's Southern English that I am afraid of.

NeoTifa
10-18-2007, 06:15 PM
i hate spanglish. thats what all my bf's family speaks ;_; o.o *sob* they interchange words from english to spanish. one would think that i would pick up some spanish this way, mais non! *sob* i hate fiestas. every...freaking....weekend.... oh the horrors! taquilla everywhere!

rubah
10-18-2007, 07:16 PM
tequila?

Ashi
10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
English isn't my native language so I probably spell some things the English way and others the American way. Apparently we're only supposed to use one of them... :eek:

Madame Adequate
10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I have absolutely no problem with the English language. It's Southern English that I am afraid of.

Those knobheads from London do tend to talk like... well, knobheads, really.

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I live in the South-West. We're awesome. South-East = gay. :D

NeoTifa
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
this is slightly unrelated, but... do english people have taco places like taco bell and stuff? i was craving tacos earlier while thinking about this forums, and i thought...."hmmm i wonder how many taco bells they have in england.... do they even eat tacos over there?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!". tacos are kinda mexican/american, but if they are as big in spain as they are in mexico, do they have a lot of taco places in europe? (tacous lol)

Peter_20
10-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Colour <-> color.

I like both of them. :D

Quindiana Jones
10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
That's because you're Swedish.

You Swedes, you so crazy. :love:

NeoTifa
10-19-2007, 07:13 PM
:sing: my bum is on the sweedish! the sweedish! sweedish, sweedish!

Mo-Nercy
10-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Australians generally spell the British way.

Way to colonise us, guys.

I'm not bothered by 'color' if I see it, but I'd definitely feel as if I'm in the wrong if I wrote anything but 'colour'. Arguing about how pronunciation is affected by spelling is silly. This is ENGLISH we're talking about. We're spelling virtually the same as our 15th century counterparts were but we sure don't talk like them anymore.

If I wanted to spell words how they're spoken, then as an Australian, I'd be spelling 'sauce' and 'source' the same, 'park' would become 'pahk', 'paper' -> 'paypah'

We don't like R's.

Madame Adequate
10-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Australians generally spell the British way.

Way to colonise us, guys.

I'm not bothered by 'color' if I see it, but I'd definitely feel as if I'm in the wrong if I wrote anything but 'colour'. If I wanted to spell words how they're said, then as an Australian, I'd be spelling 'sauce' and 'source' the same.

.... 4Chan is Australian?

Heath
10-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Pssh. The South sucks with the single exception of Cornwall. The North's where it's at.

Chimp
10-20-2007, 04:44 PM
no u

Zeldy
10-20-2007, 07:58 PM
this is slightly unrelated, but... do english people have taco places like taco bell and stuff? i was craving tacos earlier while thinking about this forums, and i thought...."hmmm i wonder how many taco bells they have in england.... do they even eat tacos over there?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!". tacos are kinda mexican/american, but if they are as big in spain as they are in mexico, do they have a lot of taco places in europe? (tacous lol)

There are no taco places in the UK, not in the Northwest anyway, I don't know about London or the bigger cities. I don't even know what a taco is aaah~

@Mo Nercy. I speak exactly the same. North west English accents > all B)
things like "gutted" are spoken "guh-ed" here, you can hardly even hear the ts.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Pssh. The South sucks with the single exception of Cornwall. The North's where it's at.

You're clearly stupid. The North does rule though. I love it there. It just feels like home.

Rengori
10-20-2007, 08:15 PM
There are no taco places in the UK, not in the Northwest anyway, I don't know about London or the bigger cities. I don't even know what a taco is aaah~

The Northern UK sounds awful.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2007, 08:18 PM

You are also very stupid.

Zeldy
10-20-2007, 08:19 PM
North west Engand is amazing :] I've been to the South and I hated it, the north is so friendly and bubbly, in MY town anyway ha. Liverpool is a different story. I agree with Quin, it just feels more homely.

Araciel
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
/patriotic sentence about Canada.

also, Upon further thought, I don't care what people use, since I can read either.

Bunny
10-20-2007, 09:25 PM

You are also very stupid.

You are very mean.

Madame Adequate
10-20-2007, 11:00 PM

The entire UK is awful.

Except for Northern Ireland.

Rengori
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
North west Engand is amazing :] I've been to the South and I hated it, the north is so friendly and bubbly, in MY town anyway ha. Liverpool is a different story. I agree with Quin, it just feels more homely.

How good could it be without tacos?

Quindiana Jones
10-21-2007, 09:07 PM

<s>The entire UK is awful.

Except for Northern Ireland.</s>

Hi, I'm MILF. Sometimes I'm cool but when it comes to my geographical preferences I'm a total pillock.

Fixed.

Zeldy
10-21-2007, 09:38 PM

hey, you don't have fish and chip shops.

Albel
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM

England is great, I should know since I live here. And you can get taco's from taco bell. But only at an american base.

Shauna
10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
U's that don't make any sense for the win! :D

And Scotand > England! ;D

Momiji
10-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Erm...yeah we do.

Zeldy
10-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Erm...yeah we do.

since when?! :( well they arnt as nice. No one does fish and chips like the English~

Laddy
10-22-2007, 12:44 AM
I spell it the way I've learned it! Got a problem with that? HUH?

Yuffie514
10-22-2007, 04:39 AM
i spell it as color. but i would use the variant for any word as well...

KentaRawr!
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
By gosh, you don't have <del>tacos</del> Taco Bells? Oh, the horror...

Loony BoB
10-22-2007, 10:50 AM
There's a really big grammatical error in American English. If you quote something over there, you have to put the period/comma punctuation inside the quote regardless of whether or not the punctuation/comma belongs to the quote. [Further details (http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html)]

But back to spelling conflicts.

Fence.
Sense.
Defence or Defense?

This is the one that I always find most amusing as both English and America are inconsistent with their spellings in this regard. Unless America has started using the first of these words as 'fense' without telling me. :)

EDIT: On the taco note, yes, there are many Mexican restaurants in Edinburgh alone that will give you quality Mexican food - often including tacos. Taco Bell tacos are inferior as far as I'm concerned to a taco made in a proper restaurant rather than a takeaways. And yes, I've had Taco Bell tacos.

KentaRawr!
10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
We did not say Tacos, Loony BoB, we said Taco Bell. The two are entirely incomparable if I do say so myself.

Edit: To stay on topic, however, the subject of how English and American spellings is indeed quite curious, such as the anonymous U pointed out earlier, which, apparently, didn't make it overseas on the Mayflower.

Loony BoB
10-22-2007, 11:54 AM
We did not say Tacos, Loony BoB, we said Taco Bell. The two are entirely incomparable if I do say so myself.
No, the original question specifically stated taco places like Taco Bell, not Taco Bell itself. Also, the question of whether we even eat tacos at all in the UK was posed.

To be fair, regarding the 'u', it's not like every 'o' is said with an 'o' sound rather than an 'uh' sound anyway. Cuh-luhr. Maybe cah-lahr. But certainly not coh-lorr. Personally, I say 'colour' as I would say 'culler'.

KentaRawr!
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
No, the original question specifically stated taco places like Taco Bell, not Taco Bell itself. Also, the question of whether we even eat tacos at all in the UK was posed.

To be fair, regarding the 'u', it's not like every 'o' is said with an 'o' sound rather than an 'uh' sound anyway. Cuh-luhr. Maybe cah-lahr. But certainly not coh-lorr. Personally, I say 'colour' as I would say 'culler'.

Ah, I see. I apologize in that regard, then.

And, as for the u, I generally agree, and I have the same habit of saying "Culler", rather than "Colo(u)r."

NeoTifa
10-23-2007, 04:33 AM
:eek: so i take it you guys dont have a don pablos either ...o.o....eep

i dun care how you sillys say it. i still go french. coleur