PDA

View Full Version : For all of your notes...

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I've found that taking notes doesn't help... unless you actually use them. So let's do that. I'm going to post notes I have taken. And you should do. And together we will help eachother and possibly learn something.

My Chemistry Notes:
Ch2

- Stratospheric ozone plays a vital role in protecting earth's surface from solar radiation
- 1970's: discovered that human-produced chemicals destroy ozone
- policies were put in place and situation improved
- Antarctica has it the worst
- Ozone found in troposphere and stratosphere
Ozone Equation
energy + 3O2---> 2O3

Energy must be absorbed for ^ to happen otherwise it will remain O2
Allotropes: 2 or more forms of same element, differ in molecular or crystal structure & therefore in properties.
Ozone layer is 20-30 km up
Ozone filters out UV radiation
Ozone layer: region of maximum O3(ozone) concentration

Atomic number is the # of atoms
Periodicity of properties is chiefly the consequence of the number and distribution of electrons in the atoms of the elements
Outer (valence) electrons- particularly important because they account for many of the chemical and physical properties of the corresponding elements.

Electrons are arranged in levels around the nucleus
The innermost level houses electrons that are strongly attracted to +-charged nucleus

Valence electrons indicated in periodic table by number heading column of element.
Atoms also contain neutrons
Isotopes: two or more forms of the same element (same number of protons) whose atoms differ in number of neutrons, and hence in mass
-isotopes are identified by mass number: sum of the number of protons and neutrons in the atom
mass number is given in periodic table
-example of isotope: deuterium is a form of hydrogen but unlike hydrogen which has no neutron (hence the mass number of approx 1 since a proton weighs 1) it does and therefore its mass number is around 2.
hydrogen can be called H-1 since its mass number is 1 (not because its the first)
deuterium because of its mass can be called H-2
Another isotope of hydrogen is tritium has 2 neutrons in addition to the 1 proton. Therefore it is H-3

MOLECULAR STRUCTURE
covalent bond is where electrons between two interacting atoms are shared.
single bond is a covalent bond that shares 1 pair of electrons
double bond is where 2 pairs are shared
triple bond....3 pairs
sometimes there are bonds that are in between single and double. resonance form: reality of molecular structure does not always correspond with Lewis Structure
octet rule: fact that electrons in many molecules are arranged so that every atom (except hydrogen) shares in eight electrons
*going over Lewis Structure method or dot structure*
Polyatomic molecules: compounds that contain molecules with more than 2 atoms.

Waves of Light
wavelength: distance between successive peaks
frequency of waves passing a fixed point in one second
nanometer: (nm) 1/1,000,000,000 of a meter or 1*10^(-9)
shorter wavelength=higher frequency and longer=lower
units per 1/s or s^(-1) <--- AKA hertz (Hz)
Frequency= speed of light/wavelength or 3.00*10^8/wavelength

Electromagnetic spectrum ranges from very low energy radio waves to high energy X-ray or gamma-ray
radiant energy is term used to refer to entire collection of different wavelengths, each with its own energy
Earth receives radiant energy from sun
-although each type of radiation has a different wavelength and frequency the speed they all travel is same: 3.00*10^8

QUANTUM THEORY
energy distribution is not continuous. it consists of many steps. this energy distribution is called QUANTIZED.
Analogy: quantized energy is like steps on staircase, not like a ramp where any sized stride is allowed.
photons: individual bundles of energy
-einstein felt radiation should be viewed as constituted of photons.
-okay, so photons are considered elementary particles
-elementary particles are particles that don't have a substructure.
-basically, there are no smaller components of them. here, my friends is some amazing science.
These photons have no mass, however. my god, i want to know more. how can it not have mass if it is a particle? if its a thing that is no just pure energy than it surely has to have mass.
Wave-particle duality- can have wave-like properties and particle-like properties
The energy of a single photon(E) is directly proportionate to the frequency(v) and inversely proportionate to the wavelength(K). as wavelength gets shorter, energy increases. so...
E=hv=hc/K
h=planck constant (6.63*10^(-34) Joule*Second
Joule is a unit of energy
c=speed of light or 3.00*10^8

I will be taking more notes. I encourage you to participate. So I don't feel awkward.

Marshall Banana
10-17-2007, 11:44 PM
I think that notes are helpful. Writing information on paper helps me remember it. Plus, I like writing in my Hello Kitty notebook, because I'm the only person who has one in all of my classes, and my writing is very clean and pretty.

Most of my notes are for HEA285, but they're boring and excessively long, so I'll list some simple terms that I have to define on my upcoming test in ENG302:
<ul style="list-style-image:url(http://www.JEREMYTIME/mondatime/strawberry.gif)"><li>Unreliable narrator - a technique in which a narrator can not be trusted by the reader.</li><li>Epiphany - a sense of sudden revelation or self-realization, usually triggered by an ordinary object or event.</li><li>Stream of consciousness - the literary attempt to duplicate the human thought process.</li><li>Fragmentation - a literary style consisting of seemingly unrelated fragments as opposed to traditional structure.</li><li>Nihilism - the philosophy of meaninglessness.</li></ul>

By the way, I hate science!

theundeadhero
10-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Note to self: The scrambled eggs from the cafeteria are soggy. Do not eat!

That's all I got for the day.

MKusanagi
10-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Haha I'm going to be a physics major. But I also will be an International Studies major so I'm balanced. And I really can't stand english haha. Opposite sides of the road. Hmm... I need to get a feel for Journalism cuz I never pay attention in class. :D My bad...

So... let's see.
Inverted-Pyramid style: it's an organizational style of writing a story that is now considered outdate and irrelevant. However, it is still used for basic news story organization... why did I take this class.
Hourglass Style: Inverted pyramid top, turn, chronological conclusion....why.
Focus Style
its like the hourglass style in that it tries to incorporate storytelling(chronological conclusion) but its different because its lead, rather than just describing the event, focuses on an individual, situation or anecdote that it uses to illustrate the bigger problem. The actual topic.
focus style has four parts. 1)lead(may run 3,4 paragraphs longer than the typical 1 sentence lead) 2) the nut paragraph- illustrates the relevancy of lead to central story 3)body, develops central story 4)kicker, good bye and farewell conclusion
Narrative style- like a novel or play and requires neutral observation

Yeah... my class is ridiculous. I hate how it's supposed to be about journalism but all we're doing is reading about theories and I don't even think there should be tests! You aren't going to be a journalist and then suddenly you get hit with, " inverted pyramid style! fast!!!! what is it???" It's a job that requires creativity. I also hate how we are hardly doing anything worth while. The closest we've gotten to writing a story is to write an obituary. ridiculous.

I am going outside to smoke now... more notes to come, my avid readers lol jkjk

Namelessfengir
10-18-2007, 12:50 AM
network database notes

Types of messaging systems
1. shared file
a. central server used to store messages
b. client software does most of the work
c. Microsoft mail, Unix mail servers by ISPs are shared file
d. Don’t do any active processing
e. Post office structure was simply a shared folder stored on a network server

Disadvantages
a. Email sent to multiple recipients is copied to each recip. mailbox
b. Doesn’t scale well
2. Database messaging (also known as client server)
a. Uses a central DB to store messages for all users
b. Client software doesn’t access the db directly
c. All emails are stored and retrieved from the db by a service running on the email server, which actively processes each message
d. Exchange, lotusNotes, Novel Group Wise
e. Very scalable
f. More efficient – messages sent to >1 user are stored only once and a pointer to the message is sent to all recipients

Exchange 2003 features
AD integration - since exchange 2000 – exchange uses AD as its directory service – no longer maintains its own DB
Cluster Capable – compatible w/ windows clustering - allows exchange to be installed on multiple servers but only running on one at a time.
Policy-based management -
1. recipient policies
a. can define criteria for groups of users – different naming convention for certain groups
2. server policies – manage groups of servers – set mailbox limit
Recipient management flexibility – can have several types of recipients
1. user – most common
2. distribution groups
3. security groups
4. contacts
5. public folder

Exchange client software – can be a server for several email clients
- outlook – many of the ADV features of exchange are only available with outlook
- OWA - outlook web access – great for mobile users
- Internet clients – outlook express , Eudora
- Protocols – smtp, pop3 and imap4
Public Folders - used to store shared calendars, discussion groups
Scalability - supports ‘scaling out’ (clustering)
- Multiple exchange servers can be organized into routing group
Security – can delegate admin tasks to parts of EXC – spread workload and prevent one person from controlling an entire Exchange organization
- supports s/mime – secure MIME – allows you to encrypt internet email
- OWA can be encrypted w/ ssc
- 3rd software available for antivirus / spam

Disaster recovery - new version of “NT BACKUP” ships w/ exchange 2003
- allows you to backup exchange databases while users are still using it (only backs up entire DBS)
- 3rd party software can back up and restore individual email
Upgrade – exchange 5.5 to 2003

MKusanagi
10-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Sundiata

His father
-good king
-King Maghan
His Mother
-homely
-loved by king more than 1st wife
-Sogolon Kedjou
1st Wife
-cold and scheming
-Sassouma
-wants her son on throne but knows that Sundiata has preference of king
Sundiata
-can't walk or speak
-despite this Maghan wants him to be king b/c of prophecy
-king dies too early and 1st wife's son ascends throne
-after Sogolon's crying from all the insults to Sundiata he begins to speak and walk
-now he is a threat to the throne, he and his mother leave out of fear for their lives.
-sundiata's griot and half sister is sent to the sorceror king.
-the sorceror king is a threat to his homeland.
-griot is a storyteller
-after his mother dies he learns that Mali was taken by the sorceror king
-he gathers forces from neighboring kingdoms and they beat the sorceror's army away. the sorceror king escapes however
-his half sister is released and tells him that she was forced to marry the sorceror and learned how to kill him: with a cock (don't be sick)
-sundiata attaches a white cock spur to his arrow and in the final war kills the sorceror with it.
-he rules Mali justly and kindly afterwards and Mali is prosperous

CimminyCricket
10-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Note to self: The scrambled eggs from the cafeteria are soggy. Do not eat!

That's all I got for the day.

Personally I think it's better when the chow hall eggs are soggy rather than spongy.

Peegee
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I think the sentiment is well wishing, but the application is haphazard. Are we to just poast noats on anything? Wouldn't that become a mess of info?

I tend to write good notes, even in classes where I don't know the subject matter (perhaps because I need to learn I write more explanatory notes). So if you need help, bring me along in class.

The bad thing was when I went into a class where I wasn't registered and the teacher asked me a question o.O

Jessweeee♪
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Apparel:
<ul>
<li>Don't forget to take the shirt out of the dryer.</li>
<li>Make sure to get the one with the red in the middle, you don't want to steal someone else's shirt.</li>
</ul>

Note to self: Discuss cosplay options with Chrissy.

I hope that helps.

demondude
10-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Pants do not go on head.

Avarice-ness
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Actually, regardless of the people who arn't actually saying educational notes..

Rewritting either by typing or by hand actually helps you remember the notes better in most cases.

I usually rewrite my notes once or twice and then I won't have to study anymore 'cause I'll have it.

This thread may be more helpful than people think. :razz:

My notes for today were algebra problems, and I don't really feel like typing it all out.

Araciel
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Writing notes helps you remember because it forces your brain to interpret logic into ideas and back again into logic (the form of the letters on the page) ...you have to physically write the letters....This is why it's so widely used.

That being said, I haven't taken notes in about five years.

Jimsour
11-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I only take notes in some classes. For any of my film units I'll be jotting down all through the hour, but for my politics lectures I sit at the back and space out, I know it already I've been reading/talking/writing about politics for the past 5 years.

Well, apart from my european politics unit, I take notes on that because I dont know as much about the EU as I would about other things.

rubah
11-17-2007, 04:51 PM
my holy crap I almost have a C in cal notes

Absolute Value Integration:
solve f(x) for y=0
use - value for <x values
use + value for >x values
set x as upper limit for -, lower limit for +
integrate those two suckas

NeoTifa
11-17-2007, 08:32 PM
omg most of my notes are pictures...:\ i drew them, but it helps lol you should see cleopatra. :P she a secsay little thang XD

Extreme Value Theorem (evt)- If f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b], then f attains an absolute maximum value f(c) and an absolute minimum value f(d) at some numbers c and d in [a,b]

Fermat's Rule- If f has a local max or min at c and if f`(c) exists the f`(c)=0

Rolle's Theorem- let f be a continuous function on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). If f(a)=f(b) then (giant backwards E)cє(a,b) for which f`(c)=0

Mean Value Theorem (MVT)- let f be a continuous function on the closed interval [a,b] that is differentiable on (a,b).Then (giant backwards E)cє(a,b) s.t. f`(c)= (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a)

L'Hospital's Theorem- suppose f and g are differentiable and g`(x)≠0 near a (except possibly at a). Suppose that:
1.)lim x->a f(x)=0 and lim x-> a g(x)=0 or that
2.) lim x-> a f(x)= +/- ∞ and lim x-> a g(x)= +/- ∞
then lim x-> a [(f(x))/(g(x))] = lim x-> a [(f`(x))/(g`(x))]

i dont think this works. i still dont understand :(

Jimsour
11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
All this maths.

Jesus fucking christ.

Fonzie
11-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Notes usually help me in certain subjects, like Biology, not so much anything else.

rubah
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
thanks for saving me the effort to type up rolle's theorem and mean value theorem for functions :D

Back to integrationing:

Mean Value Theorem (integrals):
if f() is continuous on [a,b] (closed interval)
&exist; a value "c" somewhere on [a,b] (inclusive) where
<sub>a</sub>&int;<sup>b</sup> f(x)dx = f(c)(b-a)

Average Value:
f(c) = Avg value of f
If f is integrable on [a,b]
then avg value =
1/(b-a) <sub>a</sub>&int;<sup>b</sup>f(x)dx

Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
If f() is continuous on (I) where a is a number in that interval
then:
d/dx[ <sub>a</sub>&int;<sup>x</sup>f(t)dt] = f(x)

Rieman Sum:
<sub>i=1</sub>&sum;<sup>n</sup> f(c<sub>i</sub>)Δx; x<sub>i</sub> &le; c<sub>i</sub> &le; x<sub>i</sub>

Definite Integrals:

If f() exists on [a,b]
holy crap okay I don't think I can do this in symbol notation. Heck, i don't even undestand what I have written in my notes. but it's the limit definition if someone wants to fill in the hole :|

MKusanagi
11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm going to close this window now. It's frightening me all of this math.

NeoTifa
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
lol now you know why i have like a 15% F in that class lol

Rye
11-21-2007, 06:36 PM
I enjoy taking notes. My handwriting is dreadful, but it helps me remember things and I like having something to do with my hands.

Momiji
11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I rarely take notes. I take them in Government and that's about it, and even those are rather superficial. Most of the facts stay in my mind, so it isn't really a problem.

scrumpleberry
11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
I doodle on my notes. It helps because I concentrate more in the lesson. I think ths type of thread would only work if we're all studying the same subject at the same level.

Roto13
11-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Dear Lunar

Do you like me?

Yes
No

Please circle one.

Leeza
11-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay, guys. This is Study Hall. Please do not spam it up. I haven't taken much notes lately, but I found that it would be very helpful when I did write them. As Araciel has said, it does make you remember the subject better when you have to think about what you are writing. :cat: