PDA

View Full Version : Something cool...

MKusanagi
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm starting to remember how much I actually like science and math. So here's a cool fact to discuss: A photon is an elementary particle that is responsible for electromagnetic radiation. An elementary particle is a particle that is in its simplest form, no parts to it, no substructure. It is as small as it can be. Photons have no mass. How can something be there without having a mass? How is it possible? Another thing is how can there be a thing called matter if there are no parts within it. Think about it. What makes up that particle so it can exist if it doesn't have a substructure within it? How? This is partly scientific. Partly spiritual. What makes these elementary particles exist? Oh my, this leads into so much more. If space is a vacuum. How does it have space? Think about it. You take air out out a plastic bag and the bag flattens. Why is outer space not flat then? We have astronauts in space. They aren't dead, they don't flatten. Hmm... so many questions to ponder. Now. Let's get some feedback!

stalpho slayer
10-20-2007, 04:07 PM
its like an idea you know its there but it has no physical form

Renmiri
10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
A beach wave exists and has no mass. All the mass is from the water yet the wave shapes it in a different way so something else is definitely there. Same for light waves.

The cool thing about photons is that they can behave both like a wave and like a particle :D

MKusanagi
10-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Duality of wave and particle properties! Yep. Someone knows what I'm talking about! lol Yeah, I just love that concept. That something can be here without being here. You know. It's a total mind-blowing concept and it only gets more crazy as you go further on. I was going to buy a book called the Tao of Physics. I'm a Taoist so it was something I cared to read. Damn, too bad I have no money. But it is amazing how physics is starting to agree with eastern belief systems.

Anyways, totally off topic. Think about gravity. Earth is the way it is because of it's gravity. It doesn't fly off into space because the Sun's gravitational pull keeps it in. Even the surrounding planets keep Earth in place. Thing is, without any outside forces effecting it Earth really wouldn't go anywhere. What does that mean for the universe? What does that say? Does that say that it exists independent from the universe? Or the opposite? Particles and atoms are here one moment. The next, however, they are gone. Then they come back. Where did they go? You know what I thought about it. Like I said before, outer space is a vacuum. And I asked what stops the universe from collapsing? From ceasing to exist? It is gravity. Isn't it? Why are two bodies attracted to eachother. Positive and negative charges yes. But why and/or how are those charges there? And what does it say? When two objects attract eachother. When a metal smacks into magnet. Why are the forces trying(personification, I know) to get so close? I dunno. This is going to sound crazy but could it be that the thing that attracts them is not so much the charge but what the charge opens up. Think about it, outer space is a vacuum. Where is this pull, this utter gravity trying to take us. Another place entirely? It can't take us to nothing! Nothing does not exist. Where does light go when it is sucked into a black hole. I'm seeing this big picture of all these pulls. Pulling and pulling. Sucking things away. But to where?