PDA

View Full Version : Gainsborugh (potential spoilers)

MJN SEIFER
10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
This is Aeris's surname.

But what I want to know is which parent is it from.

Elmyra or Infania? (I know Infania was with Gast but I don't know if they where married)

TheSpoonyBard
10-18-2007, 01:57 PM
It's Elmyra's surname.

If Gast and Ifalna were married, her name would be Faremis.

MJN SEIFER
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks.

cloud21zidane16
10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Its actually Gainsborough.

MJN SEIFER
10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Its actually Gainsborough.

My mistake. *Edit*

ReloadPsi
10-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Even if the retcons from the compilation hadn't shown us Gast's surname (Why isn't "Gast" his surname anyway? When you address a person as "Professor" you use their last name! Now I'm really confused about Hojo too.), Gainsborough would still have undoubtedly been Elmyra's surname as Aeris is not initially established as an adoptive daughter.

MJN SEIFER
11-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Why isn't "Gast" his surname anyway? When you address a person as "Professor" you use their last name!

I have no idea if this classes as a revival, as I just remembered this thread. But you have an interesting point, infact I always (wrongly) thought that Gast was his surname for reasons you explained. But then if you want to be really pedantic...

Thank you Mr. Barret

So how do you feel MISTER Sephiroth?

Oh, Mr Tseng?

These are just three examples, one of the few things that bothered me about this excellent game. FFVIII did a little better, but FFIX did best in this field

Godhand
11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
That will be down to the translation and how suffixes like "-san" and "-kun" were handled. Occasionally you do get things like "Barret-san" rather than "Wallace-san", and obviously the closest thing to that is "Mister Barret".

I'm fairly sure "Professor" as a title isn't a suffix in Japanese, so the usage couldn't be the same as "-san", but I can't speak to that, not being an expert or having studied it at all.

VII's localisation was pretty terrible.

MJN SEIFER
11-05-2007, 06:57 PM
That will be down to the translation and how suffixes like "-san" and "-kun" were handled. Occasionally you do get things like "Barret-san" rather than "Wallace-san", and obviously the closest thing to that is "Mister Barret".

That's a good point, I can't believe I didn't think of that.:rolleyes2

Aerisfanatic
11-05-2007, 08:23 PM
It's Elmyra's surname.

If Gast and Ifalna were married, her name would be Faremis.ilfalnas last name was faremis?

TheSpoonyBard
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Her surname was never disclosed, but I was saying that if she were to marry Prof. Gast, she would probably take his surname.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-06-2007, 12:47 PM

I'm fairly sure "Professor" as a title isn't a suffix in Japanese, so the usage couldn't be the same as "-san", but I can't speak to that, not being an expert or having studied it at all.In Japan, hakase ("doctor" or "professor") is indeed used as a suffix after someone's name, much like sensei ("teacher" or "master") is.