PDA

View Full Version : How much better this game would have been if there was no X-2?

Nifleheim7
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I have just watched the ending sequence again for the millionth time,and it got me all emotional again (yeah i know it sounds nerdish):tongue: .
Anyway,i was thinking how much cooler this game would have been if it ended right there.Yuna and Rikku would have still been respectable characters and Tidus a legendary and tragic hero.
Unfortunately the sequel destroyed what was one of my favorite game endings,especially with it's "perfect ending".
X-2 had some nice touches,and i liked the gameplay but ultimately destroyed what X had built.
It's just like the matrix films,there should have been only one.
What are yout thoughts?

Peter_20
10-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I have just watched the ending sequence again for the millionth time,and it got me all emotional again (yeah i know it sounds nerdish):tongue: .
Anyway,i was thinking how much cooler this game would have been if it ended right there.Yuna and Rikku would have still been respectable characters and Tidus a legendary and tragic hero.
Unfortunately the sequel destroyed what was one of my favorite game endings,especially with it's "perfect ending".
X-2 had some nice touches,and i liked the gameplay but ultimately destroyed what X had built.
It's just like the matrix films,there should have been only one.
What are yout thoughts?I'm glad that Tidus and Yuna met again in FFX-2, but except for that, I never really liked the idea of a sequel.

And while there's nothing wrong with Yuna becoming more talkative, she acts in a pretty forced way, like "yo, I'm so spunky right now!" :eep:

Vivisteiner
10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
X-2? X-2!?

Never heard of it.

It doesnt exist

You're all imagining things. All of you!

Xear
10-21-2007, 12:23 AM
I thought the game cleared up alot of loose ends about Spira :) and about character development :)

and at least the combat was turn based combat unlike some final fantasys :)

Tallulah
10-21-2007, 12:30 AM
The change in Yuna's personality never really washed with me. It just seemed a bit too quick. It took me over three years to even become more outgoing, and I'm still not all the way there. It took Yuna... three minutes and raiding Rikku's wardrobe? All a little too good to be true.

X-2 never really spoiled any facets of FFX for me really, partly because I never saw Rikku or Yuna as respectable. :p Nor Tidus as legendary, for that matter. :D

SeeDRankLou
10-21-2007, 05:46 AM
FFX-2 did nothing to change anything about FFX. However, there were a lot of things in FFX-2 that were executed much better than in FFX, and in hindsight made several things in FFX seem worse. So actually, FFX would have seemed like a better game in the abscence of FFX-2, but that's not saying anything good.

Sain Cai
10-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Yuna wielding guns was absolutely horrible. Pain quoting a couple of Auron's lines was horrible.

FFX-2 was horrible.

Little Blue
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
X-2 never really bothered my opinion of X that much. It screwed up some old canon, added some more and that's about it. Otherwise I just viewed them as two seperate games, one which was ok, the other quite good.

Nifleheim7
10-21-2007, 11:53 AM
First of all,i must say that i'm only speaking about story and characters and not about the gameplay.

I'm glad that Tidus and Yuna met again in FFX-2, but except for that, I never really liked the idea of a sequel.

I don't know but for me that didn't felt right.
The way Tidus returned wasn't very convincing,and the "happy" westernized ending of leaving happily ever after (propably with a dozen of kids) destroyed all the tension and drama FFX created in it's final moments.

X-2? X-2!?

Never heard of it.

It doesnt exist

You're all imagining things. All of you!

Lol,as hard as we may try it unfortunately exists and we have to live with it:tongue:

I thought the game cleared up alot of loose ends about Spira :) and about character development :)

You mean X-2 cleared some loose ends of X?If so,which ones?
I don't think that FFX left any loose ends at least any that were crucial to the main story.
Sorry,but i don't quite understand your post.:)

X-2 never really spoiled any facets of FFX for me really, partly because I never saw Rikku or Yuna as respectable. :p Nor Tidus as legendary, for that matter. :D

When i said respectable and legendary i meant from the point of view of the people of Spira.I imagine them thinking of Tidus as a great blitzball player (that came out of nowhere) who became a guardian and risked his life to protect the summoner and eventually the whole people of Spira only to completely dissapear right after he saved them.I think this creates an aura of mystery and in the eyes of the people it makes him look legendary.Actually it's almost the same with Auron as well except that he was known before.
As for Yuna the way i see it,if there was no X-2,i would have assumed that she would have continued her life probably as a politician (or some other humanitarian proffesion) and helped to rebuild Spira.And judging from her character in FFX i don't think she would have ever tried to marry or start another relationship.

Jessweeee♪
10-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I always kinda liked the idea of Yuna dying as planned then Tidus being with Rikku :p

FFX Rikku that is...not the airheaded FFX-2 Rikku.

ANYWAYZ, I didn't mind the fact that there was a sequel, or that Tidus came back...but they could've tried a little harder with the story :(

~Death~Stalker~910
10-21-2007, 05:21 PM
well...i thank they sorta made it a love story...first they kiss in the forest then they meet again

Renmiri
10-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I loved the "Good Ending" scene in X-2 and the promo video about the Eternal Calm. those IMHO added to FFX in a good way

The rest of X2 was much too different and too girly and superficial. Which sets it miles apart from X which was quite dark and serious with is jab on organized religion.

I ended up forgiving X2 for spoiling X because the battle system was slick and fun and the dresspheres were very powerful. But yeah, as a sequel to X it failed.

cally777
10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Well there'd b no avatar for me!

In some ways X-2 spoiled my view of some of the characters, particularly Rikku who becomes an airhead (in X she is quite thoughtful) and some minor ones like the ridiculous Isaru. But not Tidus (he hardly appears so how?) or Yuna. I think the way she loosens up or tries to is quite convincing. Its not like she totally changes personality. As Le Blanc says she's still a "goody-goody" at heart.

Generally though I see X-2 as a fun sequel with a good combat system which has its moments. I'm still pleased they did it even if flawed, and even if it slightly spoils X. (Wakka and Lulu, OMG!)

:choc::choc::choc:

Bolivar
10-22-2007, 08:22 PM
i never played x-2 so i guess i haven't had it ruined. i want to try it eventually but everyone on here talk as if it's the worst thing ever

Jimsour
10-23-2007, 04:07 AM
X-2 built on X.

It was by no means ruined for me, and you dont have to believe the "good" ending either, it technically doesnt happen if you dont play the game to 100%. Your call if she does or doesnt.

Venom65437
10-23-2007, 05:26 AM
X-2 doesn't ruin this game for me. X is one of my favorite games of all time, and I enjoy playing it over and over until this day. If X-2 bothers you so much, then just don't acknowledge it!

Breine
10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I ended up forgiving X2 for spoiling X because the battle system was slick and fun and the dresspheres were very powerful. But yeah, as a sequel to X it failed.

I agree. FF X-2 was actually pretty enjoyable to play, and a big part of that was the battle system. I still think it's a rather decent game, but it just didn't live up to the great-ness of its predecessor.

Mr Cactuar
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
X-2 doesn't ruin FFX. FFX is still a brilliant game with the best love story and a great story on whole. But it does ruin the ending of FFX. It was an emotional ending, having the next game focus on 3 girls gathering spheres just doesn't do it for me. And I <3 FFX so much.

BG-57
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
FFX ended on the perfect note. Mind you, I enjoyed X-2 a lot, but I felt it diminished the carryover characters because they weren't true to themselves as established in X. I could overlook the other shortcomings because it was a fun game. But it did not improve on Yuna's story, it just extended it.

But any game with Leblanc in it is still worth playing, Loves. :heart:

Rianoa
11-04-2007, 01:36 AM
I hated Yuna in FFX but in FFX-2 she's even worse before she was a do gooder but she turns into a wanbe reble e.g to cid can you help us pops and all that crap on the bad ending when she gives a speech about not finding him and she doen't care. at least before she had a heart.

rubah
11-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the emotional hold ffx's ending holds over me is in no way diminished due to ffx-2. Especially considering if you get the bad or the normal endings :D

TBJ
12-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Now, I haven't played FFX-2 before, but I've spoiled myself to some of it [like pictures and stuff] ... so.
So far from what I see, the only thing that FFX2 ruins about FFX is THE CHARACTERS! Why don't I get to see Lulu and Wakka more often? Why is Yuna so freakin' different? WHY IS RIKKU AN AIRHEAD DRESSED IN A BIKINI TOP!?
I liked Yuna in FFX. She was a nice character. She had good taste in clothes [or rather, had a nice design of clothing in FFX], and she seemed nice enough. Then in FFX2, I see her holding guns and dressed in Rikku FFX style. It just doesn't suit her character. Guns? I'll get over it. Shorts? I'll get over that too. But both of them on Yuna? I need some time to stomach that.
And I LOVED Rikku in FFX. She reminds me of my best friend - somewhat naive, childish, but thoughtful. Rikku had two distinguished layers - the bubbly appearance and the heart that cares and worries about Yuna. But then ... in FFX-2, she has barely enough clothes to scrap together, and she acts like an airhead [or at least from what I heard]. Rikku is ruined!!! :(

BUT ... regardless, I think that if you treat FFX-2 as a "fanfiction" of FFX, rather than an official "sequel", you can probably live with it. They're two different games to me, and once I have a chance, I'd probably play FFX-2 anyway :D

Nifleheim7
12-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah,a "what if..." approach,i think is the right way to go.Especially a "what if things went horribly wrong".:)
Anyway,FFx-2 is fun as a game and i'm thankful that i was able to revisit Spira (and explore a handful of new locations) even in a painful way...

No.78
12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I have nothing against X2 but I'm sure most of you dislike it for the same reasons I dislike all the anime-extensions of Dragonball, namely GT.

In which case I sympathise, but the core dragonball/z manga remains the same. I read it and don't regard GT, filler, or the films to exist or to be canon. So it doesn't affect it.

Roto13
12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
It retroactively ruined the story, but the gameplay in X-2 is pretty sweet. Except for the backtracking....

Goldenboko
12-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Do like me, pretend FFX-2 doesn't exist.

Problem solved.

NeoCracker
12-04-2007, 04:27 AM
Okay, I'll say this now. I don't like X to begin with. However I will give it credit where it deserves, It ended it in the best way possible.

The way X-2 allows you to bring back Tidus kinda ruined X's only good point.

Edit: Okay, not only. I did think the battle set up was fun. And a couple other random things.

Jessweeee♪
12-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Well...you did have the option of not bringing Tidus back...if you didn't want to see him you should have said "It's better this way" or whatever it was :p

Firo Volondé
12-06-2007, 03:44 AM
This game isn't any better or any worse depending on whether X-2 exists. I mean, if Square had never made X-2, X would be exactly the same. It's basic chronology. :rolleyes2

I don't see what everybody's problem is. Just mute the TV, make sure you don't get any good ending, and X-2 suddenly becomes bearable.

Sam250
12-09-2007, 06:40 PM
As for Yuna the way i see it,if there was no X-2,i would have assumed that she would have continued her life probably as a politician (or some other humanitarian proffesion) and helped to rebuild Spira.And judging from her character in FFX i don't think she would have ever tried to marry or start another relationship.

I aboslutly agree with you- one of the things I could never get my head round was the fact that Yuna goes from respectable High Summoner, symbolic leader of the people of Spira, to some girly superficial idiot who hunts for old movies. What happened there?

Howver, X2 as a whole didn't bother me- Yuna has changed enough to annoy, but not enough to completly destroy her character. In fairness, she may be more outgoing now, bu that is probally half to do with Tidus' and Rikku's influance, and half because shes not so worryied about having to act as a human sacrfice anymore. Plus, its been 2 years, people change.

X Rikku to X2 Rikku reminds me of VII Yuffie to VII:DoC Yuffie... grr. Still, again, not a huge deal. In truth, I still quite like Rikku and Yuna, and I think Payne (or however you spell it) was a pretty cool addition to the cast.

Back to the topic, I'll say that X2 makes X looks awesome, mainly because of how utterlly bad some of it is (and I do say some of it, parts of it were great). I mean, I wasn't a fan of X compared to other Final Fantasy's, but all the things that were wrong with X are 20x worse here, which makes them look better in X, and therefore makes X look better then it rightly should.

Strawberry_Mew
12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I still like X with X-2 some of the story on X-2 wuz good :3 I loved the perfect ending on that game :3

toad626
02-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Why all the 10-2 haters? Sure it's not a game that could stand on its own. It's more of an extension to the world of Spira. And yes it's a happier Spira then the dark world of 10. But it should be. Sin is dead. Why wouldn't the people be happy, so of course they will be opening up with *gasp* a pop concert (though I admit they could of done something else to portray this mood shift). I think of the games as 1 game. 10-2 is decent once you get past that whole Charli's Angels motif then you can really appreciate it and its storyline. One of the big complaints people had with 10 was that it was too linear and not enough side quests. Well here you go. Oh that's right you dismissed it. Square-Enix brings what you ask for and you just attack it?????? You 10-2 haters are illogical. You can also see it in this light. Think of the 6th installment (assuming you aren't just a bunch of 7 fanboys that havn't touched the old ones) . World of balance to world of ruin. For 10 World of yevon's lies to world of new orders of gov't.

Sarc the Swordsman
02-23-2008, 01:46 AM
FFX-2 just ruined Yuna's character and image. Rikku became even more unbearable, and Lulu and Wakka had a scary kid.

So, yes in my opinion FFX should have ended...with FFX.

Skyblade
02-23-2008, 06:28 AM
The only thing I really don't understand about X-2 is Spira's mood change. Spira had been living with Sin for a thousand years, with no true respite from the spiral of death. Yet, suddenly one summoner defeats Sin and lives, and everyone accepts that the spiral has ended? It had only been two years, and despite living in a world that is defined by despair, no one thinks that Sin might return, might be reborn once more? The change is too swift, IMHO. Spira had lived in shadow too long to be so accepting of the light.

X-2 in no way made X worse though. They're seperate games, and even if they take part in the same world, nothing compels you to play X-2. Even if you have played it, I don't see why it should change your perception of X. If you don't like X-2, fine. Forget about it, and just focus on the game you really enjoy.

Little Blue
02-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Its probably because of the fact that Yuna defeated Sin in a completely different way to how people were used to that allowed them to accept that Sin was permenantly gone more easily...

Markus. D
02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
X-2 is kewl :3

Yuna and Rikku are respectable as to not be promiscious while in such outfits :] (Yes I know, the outfits... whatever, just change dressphere, not a big deal :])

Yuna remained faithful to tidus till the very end! Tidus was reborn to start a true life, He is still a hero and everyone remembers what he did (Well I'm assuming so, it's not like everyone had the whole KHII syndrome going on :p)

Rikku had a new and fresh mindstate, caring for Yuna as almost a sister, instead of having the burden of watching over the Summoners... witnessing her Home being destroyed and well the whole Sin ordeal... (Feeling free to add a bit of fun to the mix this time around).

Don't forget Paine, she's rad~

Big D
02-26-2008, 03:53 AM
The only thing I really don't understand about X-2 is Spira's mood change. Spira had been living with Sin for a thousand years, with no true respite from the spiral of death. Yet, suddenly one summoner defeats Sin and lives, and everyone accepts that the spiral has ended? It had only been two years, and despite living in a world that is defined by despair, no one thinks that Sin might return, might be reborn once more? The change is too swift, IMHO. Spira had lived in shadow too long to be so accepting of the light.Interesting point... but I think that the exposure of Yevon's secrets and deceptions would have helped the people to accept that Sin might really be gone.

As for the people of Spira, they managed to make their own despair pretty well: Sin and Yevon are gone, so they plunge toward factional warfare within two years. It's like they're so used to violence and fear that they just can't quit...

X-2 is a fun revisit to Spira, a chance to see how it's changed, how it's remained the same, and to gain a few more insights into its history. An enjoyable game for me, a lively 'coda' to Yuna's story. Not the same kind of epic scope as X, but I don't think that was ever the intention either.

cally777
02-26-2008, 06:00 AM
I think its completely natural after a very dark time for humans to swing the opposite way and become light-hearted and facetious, as happens in X2.

If you look at history of last century eg, after World War 1 there were the 20s which was a fun time at first. Also after WW2, the 60s were kinda wacky (ok after a 15 yr gap when things were a bit grim, but then that war had literally destroyed much of the civilised world).

In Spira they were rebuilding Kilika just after Sin destroyed it, so pretty resilient there!

:choc::choc::choc: