PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

Vermachtnis
10-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Is it any good? From what I've heard of it, it doesn't really seem my style. It's about this kid who can kill people by writing their name in a book and sets out to do good, but the whole absolute power corrupts absolutly thing happens and he gets conflicted or something. So what do you guys think about it?

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-21-2007, 04:24 AM
It's a very good series, well-executed and with interesting characters. The final arc isn't as good though.

Fonzie
10-21-2007, 04:27 AM
It's a very good series, well-executed and with interesting characters. The final arc isn't as good though.

Yes, and the last part will disappoint you.

The English version is coming on tonight on Adult Swim if anyone cares.

LunarWeaver
10-21-2007, 04:39 AM
I agree. It had me captivated until the final bit. After L died I just couldn't give a rat's testicle anymore.

Vermachtnis
10-21-2007, 04:45 AM
The English version is coming on tonight on Adult Swim if anyone cares.

Yea that's what brought this topic up :p

Freya
10-21-2007, 05:07 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG it's on right now /dies of glee

I luv it, it's one of those ones that you think about. it's awesome sauce.

TyphoonThaReapa
10-21-2007, 05:42 AM
The debut episode was very interesting. It got me thinking, what would I do with a book that kills anyone I wish with a simple stroke of a pen? I think that's what the people that made this was hoping for. They're hoping that the viewers would put themselves in the main character's shoes and ask yourself what if. That's how this series is going to shine and make you want to watch the next episode. And guess what? I'm gonna watch it.:cool:

theundeadhero
10-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I envy you, you citizens who did not sell out your citizenship, at times like these when you can watch Death Note and I'm stuck kicking rocks in the sand. Wish I could of watched it.

XandrewX
10-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah..it was interesting at first..they make their moves just like playing a chess game..really interesting..but then after that..it looks kinda boring..just my opinion.

Jessweeee♪
10-21-2007, 06:45 AM
I LOVE DEATH NOTE! It's awesome o_o

I totally didn't expect Light or Ryuk to sound like that in English, though XD

TyphoonThaReapa
10-21-2007, 06:50 AM
They sound great! I think it matches them...:cool:

NeoCracker
10-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I think the biggest problem people had with deathnote after Episode 25 was the whole L dying thing, but if you get over that the end is actually very good.

blackmage_nuke
10-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Before Episode 25 was great, but after that the characters got abit boring, even Light or Raito or whatever his name is. The only one that stood out was Teru Mikami, he was awesome. The ending is abit disapointing and you can sort of see it coming but other than that the series had more twists than a slinky.

I really liked when they did all that Light is red and L is blue stuff and theyre totally out planning each other and staring each other down while the camera moves in all directions thing. That was always cool

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Not a bad dub thus far.

Arc_Master_14
10-21-2007, 08:30 AM
ugh i liked it n all but WTF WHY GET RID OF BLEACH!!!!

Ace14
10-21-2007, 08:38 AM
I loved it! It really made me think too, who would I kill and how? Hmm...

Kossage
10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I thought Death Note is a good series. The first arc is definitely the highlight, though, when you see the cat and mouse chase between L and Light while both try to outwit each other, and I like the stuff with Ryuk and the dark aura he brings to the storyline itself, and more characters are introduced to the plot with a good pace so that things don't become too confusing as long as you're paying attention.

The Yotsuba arc gets occasionally a bit lame compared to the previous arc because of "Good" Light (there just isn't that much thrilling stuff going except for the identity of the Yotsuba Kira), but it's still interesting to see the interaction between Light and L and to to see some of the other characters get more screen time. However, the ending of the second arc is quite dramatic with L's death, and I really like the anime's Christian symbolism when they show Light and L in a similar manner to Jesus and Judas, which I thought was a nice inclusion.

Because of the events of the second arc the third arc doesn't quite have the same intensity as the first arc, which is a shame, although I really like the way how the new characters, namely Near, Mello, Mikami and Takada, are developed and don't stay as cardboard cutouts but actually change as the show progresses. However, it's somewhat disappointing that in the end it all comes down to chance, and in some ways it's satisfying but in other ways it could've been written better. The difference in the ending between the anime and manga versions is interesting, and in some ways the anime does it better but loses some nice moments from the manga in the process.

The storyline moves quite quickly in some cases, but thankfully many of the conversations are given the time they deserve. The dialogue is often brilliant, and it's a joy seeing the story told from both sides' point of view. Animation is quite good and detailed, and I like the mood it creates with the way it uses different colours, light and shadow. The music isn't bad either, having a nice mix of traditional orchestra and choral power in dramatic spots while also having the more instrumental-oriented character themes for L, Light and the others, and the interesting mix works for the most part and manages to enhance the storyline.

Death Note relies more on dialogue than action, so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it has nice and thrilling moments, and it's interesting to watch the characters interact with one another and see what happens next, and the story keeps itself focused most of the time. All in all it's worth watching. :)

Freya
10-27-2007, 04:41 AM
EWWWWWW L's voice is too manly, he needs to be odder! Stupid american dubbing.

Monol
10-27-2007, 04:47 AM
L is quite possibly the most manly person in anime history so show some respect.

Any hoot yeah im an action hore so at first the show didnt really reel me in but then they showed L and I was like "SWEEET!!!" so I read all the manga. Its pretty interesting as its nice to see characters that are potrayed as intelligent and actually justify it. Your gonna see some of the most crazy,clever and elaborate plots out of any series. If anything just watch/read Deathnote simply for the relationship between L and Light. The endings not GREAT (but then again what anime is?:p ) but the grand climax is AMAZING!

L for prez :choc2:

Discord
10-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Simply put, one of the best anime ever. (watch it with subs though)

Cookie
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I read the first seven volumes before everybody on the internet discovered it and it became discussed almost everywhere. I really enjoyed it up until that point, it's a good read.

TyphoonThaReapa
10-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Man, the last episode (2th) was pretty damn intelligent. This L guys really something else. And there's nothing wrong with his voice. It's all perfect so far....:cool:

Young Mally
10-28-2007, 05:29 AM
You know,This is my first time witching this show.And it look kinda wack because i didn't see action on the show!:confused:

Jessweeee♪
10-28-2007, 05:20 PM
If L hadn't died, he would have had to live with diabetes :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Skip the show. Read the manga.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-28-2007, 05:46 PM
You know,This is my first time witching this show.And it look kinda wack because i didn't see action on the show!:confused:

It's not an action show. At all.

Skip the show. Read the manga.

Come now 'Kishi, the anime is pretty close to the manga right up until the end when they decide to randomly mess with some stuff. And it's pretty. Very, very pretty.

Anyway, regarding L's voice, didn't sound terrible. It's my preference that Light has a deeper voice than L, given how the original Japanese was done, but it works pretty well I'd say. Just need to hear it more.

Light's English voice actor definitely nailed the crazy, which is good since he's going to need it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-28-2007, 10:51 PM
The anime seems to add a ton of unnecessary tension to scenes that were supposed to be straightforward in the manga; add this to the drama that <i>is</i> supposed to be there, and it comes off as incessant. It's like the guys in charge of scenario and sound design got the memo that this was a "grim" series and totally overdid everything.

Jessweeee♪
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Light's English voice actor definitely nailed the crazy, which is good since he's going to need it.

Definitely n.n

I don't think they could have hired a better person for the job. The Japanese actor didn't quite hit the "Good Light" as well as the English guy :p

Discord
10-29-2007, 12:20 AM
If L hadn't died, he would have had to live with diabetes :p

*rofl*

TyphoonThaReapa
11-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Ok, Light is amazingly sinister. The story is one of a kind and it quickly risen to one of my favorites.:cool:

sir helix
11-25-2007, 05:31 AM
ok what just happened on the show today cus i just now caught the credits

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-25-2007, 05:36 AM
The anime seems to add a ton of unnecessary tension to scenes that were supposed to be straightforward in the manga; add this to the drama that <i>is</i> supposed to be there, and it comes off as incessant. It's like the guys in charge of scenario and sound design got the memo that this was a "grim" series and totally overdid everything.

That's one of my favorite parts about the anime, actually. The overdramatization is unintentionally hilarious.

Jessweeee♪
11-25-2007, 06:09 AM

That's one of my favorite parts about the anime, actually. The overdramatization is unintentionally hilarious.

I especially love the dramatic music that we hear when Light is eating chips and secretly watching a tiny TV!

blackmage_nuke
11-25-2007, 06:51 AM

I especially love the dramatic music that we hear when Light is eating chips and secretly watching a tiny TV!
And the close up shots from low angles when he takes a bite