PDA

View Full Version : Scooters, your opinion?

Rostum
10-21-2007, 08:29 AM
So after moving around a bit, I am now supporting an inner-city life style. I have decided no matter what, I am selling my car, and hoping to get around $6,000AUD for it. Going to be sad, 'cause it is my first car. :(

Anyway, I was thinking of either putting the money away in a bank to earn interest, or using about $5,000 of it to get a motorbike license and buy a 2008 Yamaha 125 Vino (http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/scooter/index.htm?scooter.asp) and then putting the rest aside.

What are peoples opinions on scooters in general? And if you know anything about or have tried out a 125 Vino, I'd love to hear you opinions on it.

My reasoning is that the only reason I would take a 40-minute car drive is to visit my girlfriend, who is 80% of the time at my place any way (not to mention I have two cars I can borrow); so my car just sits there slowly losing value -- it's a good car! (Ford Telstar TX5 (http://www.totalrpm.com/forums/uploads/av-93.jpg)).

Rengori
10-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Get a motorcycle.

Rostum
10-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Get a motorcycle.

Reasons please, or your post will become...

INVALID!

Note: Please keep in mind that I am going to be using it to get around a decently large city; not going for long distance trips.

Rengori
10-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Motorcycles are more badass. That's about it.

Rostum
10-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Motorcycles are more badass. That's about it.

That is not a great reason. Especially when there's a $4,000-$6,000 investment here.

(Also because I've never driven a motorbike, and my parents are more inclined to let me ride a scooter than a motorbike; and yes they'd more or less kick me out of home if I got a motorbike :p)

Edit: Another reason is that a motorbike is probably not as economically beneficial (very important to me, as I am just a university bum).

KoShiatar
10-21-2007, 09:10 AM
I used to have a scooter back when I was in high school (my parents sold it last year :( ), and it is great for moving in the city traffic. A motorbike is more badass, sure, better looking and probably faster, but I reckon a scooter has more stability, and it has that nice place under the seat where you can store things that is very useful. Also you can add a windshield in the winter and a trunk for carrying around more stuff. Just be sure you have clothes that keep the wind well outside, especially in the hands (you might consider wanting to buy ski gloves for the cold season), and buy a good integral helmet. Non-integral helmets just don't give you the same protection.

XxSephirothxX
10-21-2007, 09:19 AM
As you may be able to tell, I approve. :cool:

More seriously, I have no experience with scooters, but a lot of people on my campus drive them to class. I don't know how secure I'd feel on one in rush hour traffic, but they seem like a very maneuverable and cheap method of transportation.

What's the reasoning for the scooter, specifically? Much better gas mileage? If you have two cars you can borrow and if there's a good bus transportation system where you live, you could probably do well by sticking six thousand bucks in a bank account with a good interest rate and just sitting on it.

Rostum
10-21-2007, 10:12 AM
What's the reasoning for the scooter, specifically? Much better gas mileage? If you have two cars you can borrow and if there's a good bus transportation system where you live, you could probably do well by sticking six thousand bucks in a bank account with a good interest rate and just sitting on it.

Basically... I have had my car for the last 2-3 years, and while I drove heaps in the first year, in the last two years I haven't driven it at all, except to go to Brisbane and back to Melbourne. I generally catch the tram to university, but that can be a real pain in peak hour, and it's starting to get kind of expensive.

It'd be great to get around the city with low-cost in fuel, cheap insurance and registration and free parking (can park on the side walk as it takes up no room). And I'd be able to take my girlfriend on the back if we need to get somewhere around the city (was a pain driving around today).

I am not really worried about it not being as "manly" as a motorbike to be honest -- they are starting to become a popular thing here, as we continue to adopt European fashion.

It just seems more practical than a car and public transportation.

Yeah, accessories would be cool like gloves and helmet, and a windshield. :)

Old Manus
10-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Scooters make a really really annoying noise.

Rostum
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Scooters make a really really annoying noise.

I've never noticed. :)

Old Manus
10-21-2007, 11:16 AM
When you get tons of people zooming into college in their L-Plated scooter (trying to pick up women) every day, you get noticing.

Rostum
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
When you get tons of people zooming into college in their L-Plated scooter (trying to pick up women) every day, you get noticing.

Ah ok, I understand. I have only ever noticed the occasional one driving past me in the city. ^^;

Breine
10-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I think vespas are cool.. other than that I'm not really a fan.

Jess
10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Scooters sound like hairdryers on wheels. :jess:

This isn't the reason I don't like them, though. I don't like them because they are involved in quite a few road accidents. This is rarely the scooter drivers fault, but they still happen. :{

Rostum
10-23-2007, 01:24 AM

This isn't the reason I don't like them, though. I don't like them because they are involved in quite a few road accidents. This is rarely the scooter drivers fault, but they still happen. :{

So do motorbikes and cars... Are you afraid of motor vehicles in general? :D

Denmark
10-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Firstly, if you want to invest your money and actually make some profit, don't put it in the bank. Banks don't pay an interest rate anywhere close to the inflation rate, thus your money, while growing greater in quantity, actually shrinks in value. You're young, invest in something with a higher risk, and thus higher reward.

Secondly, buy a bicycle. Cheaper and healthier.

EDIT: Bike might not be a better option if the city is huge. How far do you have to go on your vehicle?

Heath
10-23-2007, 11:41 AM

You know that you're just jealous of their undeniable charm.

I've always thought scooters were alright. I imagine if I was going to get a licence for anything it'd be a car because I'd have more use for one seeing as I don't live in a city, but I think it sounds like a good idea from what KoShiatar said and it just sounds like it'd make getting around the city a fair bit easier.

Jess
10-23-2007, 12:53 PM

So do motorbikes and cars... Are you afraid of motor vehicles in general? :D
No, but I know more people who have been injured driving motorbikes/scooters. I'm not afraid of them, I just don't feel safe on a motorbike/scooter whereas in a car I do (most of the time). xD