PDA

View Full Version : For the rest of your life.......

Gopher Gamble
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM
What kind of job would you want? I'm in college right now and I'm working at a pretty menial job right now just trying to get by. I'm pretty sure that if I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my life I would be fine and more focused on my school work. The problem is that I really don't know what I wanna do..... I mean I feel kinda like that guy on "Office Space" when he says that if he had a million dollars all he would wanna do is sit around and do nothing. I don't have many dreams! When people talk about what they want out of their life all I can think of is being able to sit down and read a book that I like or playing video games or hanging out with friends. Has anyone here decided what they want to do for the rest of their life?

And now I realize that except for the "Office Space" referance that this has no place in this section. Sorry! Wasn't thinking.

Loony BoB
10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
A dream job would be a traveller. I don't know if that is a job, but it would be pretty awesome. Travel the world. That's all!

Heath
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
I think I'd like to be a historian. It's a job I'd love to have. I think the idea of poring over books and putting together all the information to find out all the information about a particular person, group or event in my own account and to express my opinions on it. I like being able to look at something and having the ability to interpret all the evidence to reach my own judgement and do all the thinking about what could or could not have happened, why something happened in the first place and what else it has effected. To earn my crust, I'd do some teaching as well, mixed in with some Indiana Jones-style adventuring while assuring them all that all historical work takes place in the classroom. Then I'd take over from Tony Robinson on Time Team.

Yep.

Miriel
10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
If someone would pay for me to travel the world and take photos, I can't imagine anything more fun than that. Since I don't really see that happening, I think being a set photographer for films would be really fun too and I can see that being a possibility in my future.

I think being a food critic would be a ton of fun too, but I'm way too picky for that to ever happen. But what's more fun that eating food for a living and then getting to tell everyone what you thought about it and have your opinion carry a lot of weight?

*kicks thread into GC*

El Bandito
10-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Third-String QB for the New England Patriots.

Never have to play (except for practice snaps), make a six-figure salary regardless, essentially have an awesome personal trainer as I keep in good shape during practice, get to travel all around the US, get to watch football games for free, oh and when (not even if at this point) they win the Superbowl I get a sweet SB Champion ring.

Araciel
10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
pay me to sleep.

Monol
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I've always had this strange desire to hurl a great axe into a tree (while spinning widly before hand of course) or doing the freak nasty in a rainforest. But being able to create my own videogames is my dream. I have so many ideas brewin in me ol noggin that I cant wait to show the world (Err the world of videogames that is). I really dont even care if anyone enjoys them...as long as I do :D (right?)

Traveling the world would also be quite sweet.

Kirobaito
10-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I would love to become a folk musician. It would make me no money, but I can think of no better fulfillment in life than trying to change the world through something as universal as music.

If that doesn't work out, I would be perfectly happy teaching at a college or university. History, Religion, Philosophy, I wouldn't care. I just love the thought of making a minimum of $70,000 a year being at work for only 10 hours a week. Yes, you have to write papers, but I can do that pretty easy.

The hard part is just geting the PhD. It's all just attrition.

Rengori
10-23-2007, 12:56 AM
I would love to become a folk/metal musician. It would make me no money, but I can think of no better fulfillment in life than trying to change the world through something as universal as music.

What he said/I added. Folk metal rocks.

Chemical
10-23-2007, 03:54 AM
I don't believe it's natural for a person to have just one job for the rest of their life.

I'm a strong believer that jobs are meant to educated, train, and challenge people and consequently develope unique and special talents in an individual that they can share with the world.

I've worked (as a/in) retail, camp counselour, events co-ordinator, curator and I value all my experience as part of a fuel source that will drive my momentum to achieve something that will benefit others and myself.

You know, I guess when it comes down to it my life long job is to be a student.

Peegee
10-23-2007, 03:56 AM
While learning and growing and work not mutually exclusive, I'm wont to disagree since I've always held a general contempt for working.

The ideal job would go towards paying for a quick and early retirement.

Yamaneko
10-23-2007, 03:57 AM
People also need to make a living; a consequence of our modern world unfortunately.

The Lich
10-23-2007, 04:14 AM
If I could I'd like to be paid to be a hobo.
Otherwise, get a job testing functionality usability and safety of different things for people to use. I will get to play with the gadgets or computers or help design airplanes all day hooray.

escobert
10-23-2007, 04:21 AM
a Professional pot smoker

Venom65437
10-23-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm going to graduate in about 7 weeks and I can't answer this question... I might be in trouble.

Chemical
10-23-2007, 06:06 AM
no matter how menial or how redundant a job may be it is within the ability of human to use their higher thinking skills to analyze their surroundings and synthesize a productive conclusion that will benefit themselves and others; to make the job more proficient, more enjoyable, more fulfilling.

The fact that a job is but a paycheck is not a failing of the career but a failing of the constitution of the person doing it.

Bunny
10-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Nothing.

Breine
10-23-2007, 12:59 PM
A dream job would be a traveller. I don't know if that is a job, but it would be pretty awesome. Travel the world. That's all!

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Or some sort of artist.. I'd love it if my job had something to do with creativity and art/design of some kind.

KoShiatar
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
I would like to be an illustrator. Getting paid for my art, now wouldn't that be super awesome.

Jess
10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
I would like to be a social worker, which is what I plan on training to be. :jess:

Yuffie514
10-24-2007, 03:15 AM
perhaps something to do with computers. but i don't think it really matters since i'm always thinking about taking a simple course of life.

Hambone
10-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Cello soloist.

Christmas
08-20-2022, 02:00 AM

LIVE THE DREAM NOW!

Loony BoB
08-20-2022, 02:03 PM
xD I do intend on travelling, although not as a job, I have since opted for a lifestyle where I don't mix work and play, as I like how splitting them allows me to switch out of work mode really easily.

100% plan on travelling next year though, looking forward to a visit of NZ and seeing my family.