PDA

View Full Version : AND FIRE IN THE SKY

Rengori
10-23-2007, 01:08 AM
So, in LA right now, there are about 13 wildfires that sprung up in the last few nights or so (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jekVbhMOKnOW6Ko37v4BCKd6pAmw), and all day today there's been smoke and ash here. Not so much smoke, but I could smell it all day everywhere I went. Yuck. I kept thinking there was gonna be ash all in my 'fro when I got home (there wasn't).

Anyway, to give this thread a topic, this thread is about fire. Things you've set on fire, fires you've been through, pyromania/pyrophilia, whatever.

escobert
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I like fire.

Psychotic
10-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Me and my friends used to start fires all the time when we were 12 or 13, in secluded areas and the like. We were SOOOOOOOO badass!!!

Fonzie
10-23-2007, 01:30 AM
My friend once set a forest on fire on accident.

I kicked him in the nuts.

Vermachtnis
10-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I shot a firework into a tree. It was awesome, but we paniced.

Madame Adequate
10-23-2007, 01:52 AM
"God did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia. I did."

Fonzie
10-23-2007, 01:56 AM
"God did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia. I did."

"Which one of the bitches sent you?"

yanis
10-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Once when I was 4, I was playing with matches and was going to set fire on my house, but firefighters came too early...that was the end of my fire setting career :(

Faris
10-23-2007, 02:06 AM
My friend and I set an Avril CD on fire. It was fun to watch the plastic and CD melt.

Levian
10-23-2007, 02:09 AM
We made molotov cocktails and threw it on the ground nearby a forest. Smart, eh? No nature was hurt in the process.

NeoTifa
10-23-2007, 02:14 AM
i like bonfires!!! weenies for all!!! and smores <3

oddler
10-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Don't burn styrofoam (sp?). It smells like rancid ass.

Miriel
10-23-2007, 02:48 AM
A couple months ago, there was a fire a few blocks from my house. Everything was covered in ash. It was put out pretty quickly though.

A couple years ago, I was on a camping trip and was evacuated when a huge fire started coming our way. It was the closest I'd ever been to a really big fire. The flames were coming over the mountains that were like half a mile away.

My friends who go to UCSD and UCI have been evacuated cause of the crazy :skull::skull::skull::skull:storm of fires that are devouring California right now. It's pretty nuts.

I used to like putting things on fire when I was younger. Pieces of chopsticks and stuff. I liked the smell.

Peegee
10-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Nothing as fun as Miriel's experience, but I know how to start fires and I like fires.

the holy meteor
10-23-2007, 03:00 AM
It's all over Southern California. A quarter of a million people in San Diego County have evacuated. There's smoke and ash everywhere outside and it's difficult to see half a mile away even if your'e fairly far away from any actual flames. Unfortunately I'm in SD right now and I'm not sure if I'll be leaving my house due to any threats. I hope everyone else affected by the fires is okay. It's very scary.

rubah
10-23-2007, 03:09 AM
holy crap it took me way to long to remember what lyrics 'fire in the sky' was from.

btw you guys can borrow some of the rain we're getting right now :( or maybe georgia. Which area is in more distress, those burning or those withering?

Tavrobel
10-23-2007, 03:21 AM
holy crap it took me way to long to remember what lyrics 'fire in the sky' was from.

btw you guys can borrow some of the rain we're getting right now :( or maybe georgia. Which area is in more distress, those burning or those withering?

The withering areas. California will sink off of the coast of the United States within fifty years.

Evastio
10-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Fire is overrated. Way too many people are obsessed with it.

Rengori
10-23-2007, 03:35 AM

The withering areas. California will sink off of the coast of the United States within fifty years.

I heard that 50 years ago.

Jojee
10-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Me and my friends used to start fires all the time when we were 12 or 13, in secluded areas and the like. We were SOOOOOOOO badass!!!
Me too! Except I was like 7 or 8 and he was like 9 or 10 and we used to go around setting stuff on fire, and by we I mean him and I was going "wahhh okay that's too big now let's put it out!!" and he was like "don't worry I can control it ^__^" and then I was gone one day and he set fires by himself and burned the whole backyard areas of the apartments and the fire trucks came and he got grounded. XD

I also burned myself with a match when I was 3 so I don't really like starting up matches or lighters since. :p

The Lich
10-23-2007, 03:48 AM
I live in southern ca. There was a fire on a hill not too far from my house, but I live in an area were we get the fires every year pretty much. It's pretty wide spread this year though. I got out of class today though and ash sucks and no not ashe from ff. Hope everyone is okay.

Disco Potato
10-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Dang @ Miriel's stories :eek:

My friends who go to UCSD and UCI have been evacuated cause of the crazy :skull::skull::skull::skull:storm of fires that are devouring California right now. It's pretty nuts.

Yesterday voluntary evacuations were going on with people who live a few minutes away from us. My brother's school/my high school was shut today, and might still be in trouble, though I think the chance of anything happening to it is less than yesterday. I didn't know I still cared about it so much until all this stuff started going on :p

Today I had a midterm so I had to go to school, but my family was still uncomfortably close (in my opinion) to one fire so I was calling home every couple of hours :p. I know a lot of people from high school going to UCSD, so I'm a little worried about them :(. And of course, the air isn't that great around here. I've had allergies all day :-/

Deborah
10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
I live in Southern California too....I saw some ash today probably from the Arrowhead fire. Its been WAY windy by my house still...it bangs my windows really loud and enables me to sleep..also my allergies are killing me...watery eyes!!!:(

XxSephirothxX
10-23-2007, 09:10 AM
We had bonfires a lot when I was younger. I've never been that much of a pyro, though. One of my friends would use cans of Axe as flamethrowers and caught his yard on fire once with gasoline.

If he did that today, I think it might engulf the entire drought-ridden state of Georgia.

Yamaneko
10-23-2007, 09:14 AM
The winds have been terrible. This morning I woke up to tree branches covering the street. A whole tree fell on my neighbors car and our roses were destroyed.

Resha
10-23-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm always getting caught for burning random :skull::skull::skull::skull: in my room; incense, and essential oils, usually. =/ HAH. But yeah. Sometimes when I was a kid and I used to go out to posh restaurants -- posh enough to have little matchboxes and stuff on every table :p -- I'd run outside and create tissue paper bonfires. Awesome stuff.

I love playing with fire. I love matches and I love sniffing the air after

theundeadhero
10-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I hope none of your houses burn down.

Bunny
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
My friend and I put a stack of cardboard and styrofoam ontop of a tarp, poured some gas and oil ontop of it and then wrapped a cloth around an arrow. We dipped the cloth-tipped arrow into some oil and gasoline and then lit it on fire and fired it at the pil of cardboard and styrofoam.

It was pretty funny seeing a fireball in his backyard.

Zeldy
10-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I loove the smells from bonfires etc.

At Sherdley Show I once set a napkin alight with my sparkler. My Mum went mad, I was like 10. That's all Ive ever set alight :(

Ouch!
10-23-2007, 09:00 PM
There was a run-down tennis court back where I used to live. Some guys were playing and knocked a ball way out of the court. They went into the fields (unkempt with dry grass at least a few feet tall) behind the courts and searched. When they couldn't find it, they decided to light matches, throw them on the ground, and beat out the flames before it spread.

They torched a couple acres. =D

Edit: I like jumping over bonfires.

~*~Celes~*~
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't have much experience with fire except that the smell of burning hair is gross :(

Miriel
10-24-2007, 07:03 AM
1 million people have been evacuated because of the fires in California. 1,800 houses destroyed. o_o

This is so nuts.

Rengori
10-24-2007, 07:06 AM
1 million people have been evacuated because of the fires in California. 1,800 houses destroyed. o_o

This is so nuts.

Did you get evacuated?

Some girl in my class has a sister who's house, workplace, and boyfriend's house have all been destroyed.

It was really funny though hearing some of the celebrities going like, "I could feel the heat as our helicopter flew over the fire."

Disco Potato
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Some girl in my class has a sister who's house, workplace, and boyfriend's house have all been destroyed.

Whoa :eek:. A guy I had classes with in high school goes to UCSD, and they've canceled classes this week, so apparently he went home, but now his area is under mandatory evacuation. Oddly though, he was taking pictures when flames seemed really close to his house, and then posted the pictures on Facebook :Oo:

It was really funny though hearing some of the celebrities going like, "I could feel the heat as our helicopter flew over the fire."
Haha, awesome, some comic relief :lol:

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I knew a guy who set fire to a hamster. I punched him repeatedly in the face when he told me that.

I like burning things with a magnifying glass. :D Carpets, firecrackers...the usual stuff.

The Ceej
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
The winds have been terrible. This morning I woke up to tree branches covering the street. A whole tree fell on my neighbors car and our roses were destroyed.

I am so sorry about your roses. Is it going to cost much to have your roses replaced?

I could spend all day telling you about the things I've set on fire. Too bad I'm on dialup or I could post the videos. I would have to put them to a musical soundtrack first.

mooglebunni608
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Ouch ><
I went through an anti-pyro stage that started when I was about 6 (I set a paper towel on fire on accident and got in trouble) till I was 8. Then, after that, all I wanted to do was burn stuff <3

Quindiana Jones
10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Has anyone made a joke about Shlup sitting on it yet?

Rengori
10-25-2007, 12:05 AM
xD Not yet Quin.

Anyway, today there was enough smoke in the sky to make the sky orange all day. Usually that only happens in morning at evening when the sun is shining through the smog on the horizon.

Lynx
10-25-2007, 02:12 AM
well because of the wildfires in LA my cousins plane was delayed getting to las vegas. but besdies that me and my friends have had some accidents with our campfires. like the time we threw glass bottles filled with gas into the fire and my shirt got caught on fire.

CimminyCricket
10-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I used to set stuff on fire, until my face was one of those things. There are still areas on my face where hair refuses to grow.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
10-25-2007, 03:18 AM
I used to light my crayons on fire. It was pretty awesome, cause when they dried, it was like a big flat rainbow. xD

Also, I used to try and light glass cups on fire. I was a wierd child.

Shlup
10-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I wasn't able to get anywhere from Saturday to today because of the winds and fire. I missed work the last two days--there was like a force field of dirt clouds around the city I work in.

Yesterday all my neighbors were evacuated because of two fires I could see from my apartment.

I was driving on Monday, and got pushed into the wrong lane numerous times. I saw what I would call very tornado-like things. My friends car was lifted off the ground. I drove from blue sunny skies into a wall of dirt that made everything around me look like a brown night.

I've counted well over a dozen trees either uprooted or broken in half.

It's ridiculous out here. I've never seen anything like it.

KoShiatar
10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
When I went to the restaurant, I used to put paper napkins in the ashtray and set them on fire. It was fun when somebody tried to put it out by blowing on it because the ashes scattered everywhere. I've outgrown this now tough.
Once me and a friend set an Oasis poster on fire, because we didn't like Oasis. We had two and we crumpled the other into a ball and played soccer with the dog with it.
Finally, once when I was in high school (it must have been 10 years ago) me and a male schoolmate were playing with a lighter. I don't know what he was trying to do, but he broke it and the gas wouldn't stop flowing, so I had the (bad) idea of turning it into a sort of gas lamp. When we tried to put it out so the teacher wouldn't realize what we had done, the plastic had melted and it gave way under the pressure, so all the gas leaked out at once with a big blaze. Next thing I remember my schoolmate was desperately blowing on it and I was cracking up like an idiot while the smell of burning plastic was everywhere. Geez, that was really stupid.

CimminyCricket
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
You're all deviants! Ignoring, of course, my previous post.

MKusanagi
10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
I blew up my microwave... with popcorn. And I burn things everyday... *smoker*

The Ceej
10-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Some of us are not easily swayed by your words of caution, Cim.

Once I took a Bernzomatic blow torch to a cigarette lighter, burning all the hair off my arm and having a blast of fire in my face. And the only thing I regret about that is that no one was filming it. I still yell at my brother to this day (I'd yell at my friend too if we still talked) about his failure to get that on tape.

MKusanagi
10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Damn. And that could have made YouTube history. Crying shame if you ask me.

The Ceej
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
It's okay. I still have hours of pyromanic footage. It just can't hold a candle (yes, the pun is intended) to my exploding lighter experience. I can't get it on YouTube, however due to my being on dialup. As I stated earlier, I want to edit the footage to create a montage of fire-related footage to an appropriate musical soundtrack much the way I took all the scenes of my friends, my family, and I getting hurt and put it to the song Everybody Hurts by R.E.M. Too bad I'll probably never get around to that.