PDA

View Full Version : [Ceramic] Cathedral of the Blessed Saint Basil

BG-57
10-23-2007, 01:40 AM
This was my final project in my high school cermaics class. The assignment was the make a house. I'm a fan of Russian Orthodox architecture, so I asked if I could do Saint Basil's. Little did I realise how many months of effort would be involved. I even came in after I graduated to finish it. It barely fit into the kiln.

I had to purchase my own red glazes, since they contained lead. Halfway through I realised that I put the large towers on the corners when they should have gone on the sides (the basic floor plan is square). So I had to add four artificial corners in front of the small towers. The proportions of the central tower are off, but it's still pretty impressive.

I had to do a teapot before I was done with this, so I designed it to resemble the bell tower. Never has a more impractical tea server been created. :p

I was meaning to put in the crosses on top of the onions domes but I never got around to it.

Nifleheim7
10-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Beautiful!!
I cannot even imagine how many hours of hard work something like this needs...
Personally i like the architecture of Orthodox monasteries better than churches (especially Romanian and Greek).

Miriel
10-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Wow, that's fantastic! Some of the towers seem a bit slanted, but it looks really good.

scrumpleberry
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
THIS IS LOVE.

You had better have gotten top marks for those, because if not I want to know why.

Gorgeous stuff. The best part is that you didn't try to over - complicate it: it's at exactly the right level, it doesn't feel crowded.

Lawr
10-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Your teacher must have been very impressed.
I'd give you and A for effort and an A+ for extra awesomeness.

41-Inches-Wide
10-27-2007, 01:53 AM
OMG AMAZING~!!!!

Shlup
10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
It's cool.

...But now what are you going to do with it? Display it in your living room? That was a dumb assignment.

You did good on it though.

nik0tine
10-29-2007, 03:06 AM
As a musician I understand the amount of work that was required to make that. You have my respect.

theundeadhero
10-29-2007, 07:59 AM
That's pretty cool.
Did you use lead paint in the teapot server

8x

KoShiatar
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I would like to see the teapot too. :D

BG-57
10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
My teacher was amused that I had to ask if I would get an A. :D

I used lead paint on the outside of the tea server, but a clear nontoxic glaze on the inside. It's really too impractical to actually serve tea in; too bulky and heavy.

KoShiatar
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Maybe if you had made the hollow inside bigger.. :P anyway, it's a great object to have around. Bravo!

Selena_Akariko
12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Very cool! :)

Jeez, I never knew that people outside of Russia like Russian church achitecture ^^

Good work!

:save: Selena