PDA

View Full Version : Best Real Time Strategy series?

Discord
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Warcraft/Starcraft
Command and Conquer
Age of Empires

Which shall it be? (Don't forget to vote!!!)

Madame Adequate
10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
That's a tough one. I'd say C&C and SC are the ones in the running here - AoE is amazingly good but not quite as hot as those. I think I'll go with C&C on the basis of Kane.

XxSephirothxX
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I think Age of Empires and Warcraft both have a layer of complexity that Command & Conquer lacks, but C&C is just so much fun. Definitely my favorite as a series.

Psychotic
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
C&C thank you kindly. I want more Allies-Soviets and I want it now.

Heath
10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Really don't play enough RTS and I certainly haven't played C&C for ages but I'm going to have to go with C&C. I've only actually played a demo of Age of Empires. I suppose I should fix that.

Old Manus
10-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Age of Empires, followed by Total War. Medieval represent!

McLovin'
10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Total War.

Slothy
10-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Starcraft. I'd include Warcraft, but I'd put Starcraft too far ahead of any Warcraft game to include them. I do think Warcraft 3 was a strong game, but not nearly as much fun as Starcraft. I will grant that Warcraft 3 had much better custom maps than SC though.

Discord
10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I think I'll go for the 'crafts myself. They've got this neat touch to them and a totally awesome storyline. I liked the fun factor in C&C and the historical touch in AoEs though.

PS: I think Warcraft lost on prestige, what they've gained on fanbase with WoW. A pity. :(

Captain Maxx Power
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM

Total War.

These people express my opinion. You fail for not including Total War. It trounces all other RTS so severely.

Skyblade
10-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Starcraft. I'd include Warcraft, but I'd put Starcraft too far ahead of any Warcraft game to include them. I do think Warcraft 3 was a strong game, but not nearly as much fun as Starcraft. I will grant that Warcraft 3 had much better custom maps than SC though.

And Starcraft II's map editor is probably going to blow WCIII's away completely. Sure, WCIII came later, but that doesn't make it a better game. Heck, it's just a fantasy based version of SC anyway.

Rostum
10-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, Star Craft and Age of Empire are fairly awesome. I also had some fun with some of the C&C games.

Eh, I can't choose so I won't. :p

Madame Adequate
10-24-2007, 01:10 AM

Total War.

These people express my opinion. You fail for not including Total War. It trounces all other RTS so severely.

I wager that Total War wasn't included because it's not RTS. It's Real Time Tactics (RTT) and TBS.

Actually no, I don't expect that's why it was left out at all, but that's why it shouldn't be included here.

Tavrobel
10-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Is this thread supposed to be a trick question?

And Starcraft II's map editor is probably going to blow WCIII's away completely.

Probably not completely. You can do almost everything in WCIII, including trigger-work. SC's was even less powerful than WCII's, but what made it shine was its accessibility, and as we got further along, the ability to adapt other forms of code to construct the advanced map-making tools we have (Forge, Draft).

Remember EUDs?

Mirage
10-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Command and Conquer!

Rase
10-24-2007, 08:13 AM
I've always been a huge fan of the AoE series, so that shall be my answer.

Mr Cactuar
10-24-2007, 10:29 AM
AoE has Age of Mythology and that is a brilliant game.

Discord
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Total War was not included, because, as far as I am aware, it's far younger than the other series and, in my eyes, doesn't really count as classics yet. Great game, but IMO, inappropriate for the poll. Feel free to disagree though.

Dragonsoul
10-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Starcraft is my favorite pc game. 2nd is Warcraft 2. 3rd is Final Fantasy XI.

I haven't played Warcraft 1 and my pc doesn't load Warcraft 3 but I want to beat it. I'll get Starcraft 2 the day it comes out probably. :D

Bolivar
10-25-2007, 04:51 AM
The only one on the listed series I haven't played is AoE III. RTS is probably my favorite genre tied with RPG, and I definately have to go with Command & Conquer. I think Generals might be my favorite RTS so far, I honestly have to say the way that each unit can be countered is done on a level I haven't really seen, at least not in the others on the list. On the others you can really spam one good unit and murder anyone, but in Generals any spam can be demolished rather inexpensively. I also think it really shifted the basic focus of RTS from economy to pure strategy. In the earlier days I definately preferred C&C to WC and RA2 to SC. So yeah, C&C.

Lionx
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I would vote for Starcraft and NOT WarcraftIII.....if Warhammer 40K wasnt better :)

For the greater good!

McLovin'
10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Total War was not included, because, as far as I am aware, it's far younger than the other series and, in my eyes, doesn't really count as classics yet. Great game, but IMO, inappropriate for the poll. Feel free to disagree though.

In AoE and such you have one city and another. They fight. The end. In Total War you control many cities and are usually under constant attacks and the battles are awesome to be in. There's gore and it requires lots of strategy to win so that's is why it is the best. (on hard at least)

Discord
10-26-2007, 05:22 PM

In AoE and such you have one city and another. They fight. The end. In Total War you control many cities and are usually under constant attacks and the battles are awesome to be in. There's gore and it requires lots of strategy to win so that's is why it is the best. (on hard at least)

Heh, I'm still not disagreeing. Great game, but in my opinion not a representative of a "classic RTS series". I like Total War myself though.

Madame Adequate
10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I would vote for Starcraft and NOT WarcraftIII.....if Warhammer 40K wasnt better :)

For the greater good!

Valid point. Dawn of War anthology is stupidly kickass. Combined with Company of Heroes? Huxyeah, that genuinely is a contender to the classics mentioned in the poll.

The Unknown Guru
10-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Star/Warcraft. Age of Empires is also an incredible series.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Command and Conquer, but with Total War in at a close second. :D

Mirage
10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I am pleased to see that C&C is in the lead.

Crizpy
10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Theres no better RTS game than starcraft.
Its so balanced, and you got so much things to take care of.
It really requires skill, multitasking deluxe...its simply the best game to compete in.

Its a reason the Koreans have had it as entertainment for almost 10 years, and I think theres gonna be a looooong time before they stop playing it.
Starcraft for koreans is like football is to us.

Newer games are just noobified. Just mass up tanks, attack, and hope for the best.