PDA

View Full Version : Any other Rpgs? (Yeah, i know, sacrilige)

Cloud88
10-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, I've all of the Final Fantasy's (nearly) and i've been looking for some new RPGs to play. Anybody got any suggestions? I already have the Shadow Hearts ones and .Hack. Any suggestions would be really helpful. I'm bored out of my tree here!!!:)

Momiji
10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
This should be in General Gaming.

Anyway, try Tales of Symphonia. You can't go wrong with that one. :)

Denmark
10-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Baten Kaitos.
Secret of Mana.
Super Mario RPG.

Miriel
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
This should be in General Gaming.

Yes it should! *kicks thread*

Madame Adequate
10-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Wait one month, then get Mass Effect.

Raebus
10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh oh, watch out for soul dragon and his long list of RPG's.

demondude
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Suikoden 2 & 5

Vermachtnis
10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I second the Tales of series.
And the Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona 3 just came out. And Digital Devil Saga is good too.

Laddy
10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I third the Tales series.
Get Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn for the PC. It kicks most RPG's asses. However, the console Baldur's Gates suck and shame the series, so go PC. It will be refreshing to anyone who has never played a PC-style RPG.

Madame Adequate
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Suikoden 2 & 5

Seconded. If you can find 2 that is. 5 for sure, that's easy to get and rocks nearly as much.

Crossblades
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Every console out there has a good RPG to play. Here's a list of what I recommend playing

SNES

Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Breath of Fire(A GBA version of this game exists)
Breath of Fire II(there is also a GBA version of this game and can also be downloaded on the Wii)

N64

Paper Mario(can be downloaded on the Wii)

Gamecube

Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Mega Man X Command Mission(also available on the PS2)
Phantasy Star Online Ep.1 & 2(Online service doesn't exist anymore, but can be played single player and 4 player co-op)
Paper Mario 2:Thousand Year Old Door
Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance

Wii

Super Paper Mario

GBC

Dragon Warrior I & II
Dragon Warrior III
Crystalis
Shadowgate

(These GBC games are also available on the NES)

GBA

Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Shining Force:Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Fire Emblem
Tales of Phantasia
Mega Man Battle Network 2

PS1

Chrono Cross
Tales of Destiny II(a.k.a Tales of Eternia)
Legend of Dragoon
Threads of Fate
Breath of Fire IV

PS2

Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss

Heath
10-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Crossblades has just listed a rather comprehensive list. Although I've not played all of them, I second the recommendation of Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem (6-8 on the GBA, 9 on the GC) and Earthbound. I commend your tastes that you've played the Shadow Hearts games too. :)

The Grandia games are well worth taking a look at and so are the Lunar games. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX) is well worth a play, but it's a rather difficult RPG. Lunar Legend for the GBA is a remake of it, though I've been told that Lunar: SSSC is superior to Legend. I can't really comment having only played Legend, but even that's well worth a play.

Bolivar
10-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Sega-
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Sword of Vermilion

and now I'm going to try not to get laughed out of here.

Markus. D
10-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Valkyrie Profile 2 if you're looking from something more recent.

It's different and has a pretty tricky learning curve to get good at it (Which... I'm still learning -_-;)...

Guild Wars: Platinum, Factions and Nightfall are pretty great, you'll like those, they are for the PC though... and are online only.

Disgaea 2!

You'll never evar evar find it lawl, It's the best thing in the ever though.

among many others!

Rostum
10-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Well, for PS2...

Grandia 3
Persona 3
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Tales of the Abyss
Xenosaga 1, 2 & 3
Wild Arms 5
Rogue Galaxy
Valkyrie Profile 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Heats 1 & 2
Chrono Cross
Suikoden 5

The Ceej
10-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Lot of good games listed here.

Crystalis was originally on the Nintendo. As far as I'm concerned, that's its platform, not GBA.

Have you tried any of the Shadow Hearts games?

Crossblades
10-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Lot of good games listed here.

Crystalis was originally on the Nintendo. As far as I'm concerned, that's its platform, not GBA.

GBC

Dragon Warrior I & II
Dragon Warrior III
Crystalis
Shadowgate

(These GBC games are also available on the NES)

I've already made it clear that these originally released for the NES. And It's under GBC, not GBA.
Please read my posts carefully next time, before coming to any conclusions >_>

Vermachtnis
10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I think he was saying that the Crysalis (Great Game) port on the GBC was terrible and best if forgotten.

Hazzard
10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Can someone elaborate on why Fire Emblem would make a good purchase, I think it's not all that, but my opinion isn't much valid considering I never played it for that long.

Heath
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Have you tried any of the Shadow Hearts games?

He stated in his original post that he's already played them and in my ground-breaking spiritual sequel to that post I complimented him on his choice of them.

Also the Fire Emblem games are good for several reasons. Their stories are more than interesting enough and are fairly easy to keep up with, their game play is fun and it's nice to have that added element of strategy involved in RPG games, the music is decent and the games are just fun. I can easily spend several hours playing them because they're challenging and engaging and, simply, well worth playing xD

Hazzard
10-27-2007, 06:34 AM
I recently downloaded the first edition of Shining Force, and I think the game's excellent - how long is it?

escobert
10-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Saga Frontier!

Dreddz
10-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Sega-
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Sword of Vermilion

Why would you be laughed at? Those are all great games. I'd put Phantasy Star II ahead of IV but both are great nonetheless. But an RPG that I think topples both on the Megadrive was Shadowrun, one of the best 16-bit RPG's in my opinion. Just make sure never to touch its ugly twin on the SNES, which was a horrible game ( shame people only remember that one ) The Megadrive didnt have alot of RPG's but the ones it had were pretty special.

Here are a few more suggestions off the top of my head.....

Dark Chronicle ( Dark Cloud 2 if your in the states )
Grandia
Xenogears ( leave all that Xenosaga crap alone )
Terranigma
Illusion of Gaia
Record of Lodoss War
Alundra

Madame Adequate
10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Skies of Arcadia just came to mind. One of the best games ever. You can get it on either DC or GC - the latter has more to do, but has lower quality music.

Rengori
10-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Disgaea 2!

And Disgaea and Makai Kingdom!

Comet
10-28-2007, 01:48 AM
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU! HOW COULD YOU FORGET POKEMON!!!!!!!

Rengori
10-28-2007, 02:06 AM

Maybe we just assumed all 6 billion people on Earth had gotten around to that by now.

The Ceej
10-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Because

A. It's not an RPG

and B. It's just a silly, annoying fad that's going to end any minute now.

I've been saying that for almost ten years. Damn.

Shoeberto
10-28-2007, 07:17 PM
If you've been saying "it's going to end any minute now" for ten years, and it's still going strong, you may want to reconsider.

I think its emphasis on stat building and turned-based combat are enough for it to be put into the RPG genre. If you have a DS I recommend Diamond or Pearl. They're really good, though the lack of lobby system for online battling kill that for me.

Crossblades
10-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Because

A. It's not an RPG

and B. It's just a silly, annoying fad that's going to end any minute now.

I've been saying that for almost ten years. Damn.

What are you talking about? Pokemon is indeed an RPG >_>

Bolivar
10-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Sega-
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force I
Shining Force II
Sword of Vermilion

Why would you be laughed at? Those are all great games. I'd put Phantasy Star II ahead of IV but both are great nonetheless. But an RPG that I think topples both on the Megadrive was Shadowrun, one of the best 16-bit RPG's in my opinion. Just make sure never to touch its ugly twin on the SNES, which was a horrible game ( shame people only remember that one ) The Megadrive didnt have alot of RPG's but the ones it had were pretty special.

Here are a few more suggestions off the top of my head.....

Dark Chronicle ( Dark Cloud 2 if your in the states )
Grandia
Xenogears ( leave all that Xenosaga crap alone )
Terranigma
Illusion of Gaia
Record of Lodoss War
Alundra

Well in my experience, when people talk about 16-bit RPGs, they're usually only talking about the SNES (especially on the internet). Alot of them don't know that SEGA had alot more than Sonic going on.

But yo...and I mean YO... Shadow Run was THE SH*T!!! I just downloaded the rom so I'm probably gonna get back into it soon, and I gotta agree, that's one of the best 16-bit games I've ever played, let alone RPG (i'm sure some would say it's not).

And Hazzard, great choice on SF. I can't tell you exactly how long it is, but it's definately a classic. Be sure to read a guide though on the subject of promotion because i messed up a save file or two doing it wrong.

Hazzard
10-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Shining Force is the best 16-bit RPG I've played ever. I've already promoted anyone when possible, I'm struggling with training up a few members: Zukia, Bleu and some others. I might just settle with a final party, the best Knight is definitely Valkar, Mae as second. Diane's a good Archer alongside the shooter guy. It's always good to have a birdman (male one) Zyla (Werewolf), Tao (Wizard) and a decisive Gladiator, such as Gort (apply an agility ring to him and he works wonders later on). The Card Master is vital to amplifying my guys to the next level., and Domingo is so cute, he also packs major heat with magic!

Hey, Bolivar. Reckon Shadow Run is better than SF?

Karellen
10-29-2007, 12:45 AM

Because

A. It's not an RPG
Pokemon is more of an RPG then most JRPGs are RPGs.

Raebus
10-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Its definetly an RPG, just because you seemingly have a vendetta against it doesn't make it any less of an RPG.

Bolivar
10-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Shining Force is the best 16-bit RPG I've played ever. I've already promoted anyone when possible, I'm struggling with training up a few members: Zukia, Bleu and some others. I might just settle with a final party, the best Knight is definitely Valkar, Mae as second. Diane's a good Archer alongside the shooter guy. It's always good to have a birdman (male one) Zyla (Werewolf), Tao (Wizard) and a decisive Gladiator, such as Gort (apply an agility ring to him and he works wonders later on). The Card Master is vital to amplifying my guys to the next level., and Domingo is so cute, he also packs major heat with magic!

Hey, Bolivar. Reckon Shadow Run is better than SF?

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it, it's a pretty epic game.

As far as to which Shadow Run or Shining Force is the better, I would have to say it depends on the mood; they're both very different. Shining Force is your linear, traditional SRPG with the traditional fantasy setting while Shadow Run is a very open-ended game with a cyber-punk setting. Think FFVII Midgar except ALOT darker. There's an overall plot, but you can really do whatever you want, taking on "runs" in different parts of the city (could be anything from delivering a package to doing a hit for hire) and the gameplay is you actually running around on the screen shooting/fighting/casting spells along with any characters you recruit. Eventually you get to other cities and advance the plot. It was originally a paper-and-pen RPG like Dungeons & Dragons and I heard they're making an MMORPG for it now.

Whichever one you end up preferring, I would defintely recommend checking out Shining Force II when you're done with those.

Hazzard
10-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Shining Force II, huh? Is it on GBA and is it better than the first edition?

Crossblades
10-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Shining Force II, huh? Is it on GBA and is it better than the first edition?

The GBA version is the remake of the first Shining Force. I own it and it truly rocks! =)

Vincent, Thunder God
11-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Morrowind and Oblivion all the way. They're very different from the FF series, but extremely good.

crono_logical
11-03-2007, 12:16 AM
You can't go wrong with any game from the Tales Of series :p

Ar Tonelico's an unusual one I picked up recently. Although the battles are easier than your average RPG what with being able to seemingly charge up your songs (or spells) almost indefinitely - though not as ridiculously easy as FF:Mystic Quest - the way you need to interact with some of the characters for storyline is quite unique and interesting :p

Cloud88
11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
I commend your tastes that you've played the Shadow Hearts games too. :)

Thanks. Nearly all of my friends couldn't be bothered but, man, they're missing out.
Thanks you guys for those games. I'll see if i can find any of those. Anybody played Koudelka, the prequel to Shadow Hearts? I can't beat the final boss' third form. It keeps healing!

And does anybody know when White Knight Story is coming out? That looks awesome!

Polnareff
11-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Any Breath of Fire game (yes, even Dragon Quarter)
Any Star Ocean game
Grandia 1 and 2

And that's about all the ones I'm willing to suggest right now. Breath of Fire III in particular has great characterization and atmosphere, IMO, and so does BoF IV.

Shlup
11-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Any Star Ocean or Zelda and you're golden. They're better than FFs anyway.

Crossblades
11-13-2007, 04:07 AM
Any Star Ocean or Zelda and you're golden. They're better than FFs anyway.

Careful. Not too many people here consider Zelda an RPG

Jiro
11-20-2007, 08:07 AM
Is it? I don't really consider Zelda a RPG. But I would like to also say Suikoden 5 is great fun. And the Tales of series is mad fun too.
Fire Emblem if you like more strategy. But thats me.

Realm25
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
VAY for the Sega CD is absolutely amazing. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

The Ceej
11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I recently obtained the Lunar games at a decent price. Good luck doing that. I haven't played them yet as I have many games waiting in line to be played by me, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be great. So, if you're good at searching the internet for rare games at a decent price, then I would recommend the Lunar games.

Oh, and they're on PlayStation.....

The versions you want, anyway.