PDA

View Full Version : afi

NeoTifa
10-26-2007, 09:24 PM
so i was wondering, who here likes them or has even heard of them. and i havent heard them yet, but davey and jade came out with a ...errr.....not solo but duet? album under alias blaqk audio. do you guys think they're worth it? imma have to rediscover the power of youtube :\

davey havok <3<3<3 :hyper: sexiness

discuss :)

Momiji
10-27-2007, 02:06 AM
I like AFI's more recent stuff, and Blaqk Audio is okay, I guess. It just isn't the same without the other guys.

escobert
10-27-2007, 04:08 AM
I like everything up to their new album. I hated every second of it. Sing the sorrow, The Art of Drowning and Black Sails in the Sunset are fucking amazing.

NeoTifa
10-27-2007, 06:26 AM
yea, i was a little disappointed in decemberunderground, but i totally bought it still the day it came out. :) yep. and i love blaqk audio now. i listened to them earlier on youtube. actually im listening to them now. i would love to interview davey, and then write a bio. would you guys buy it if i did someday? you would see it on opera and say "wow, i knew her from eoff. neotifa." lol

theundeadhero
10-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Black Sails still remains one of my favorite "punkish" CDs after years of listening to it.

Masamunemaster
10-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I LOVE AFI

escobert
10-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Black Sails still remains one of my favorite "punkish" CDs after years of listening to it.

God Called in Sick Today is with out a doubt one of their best songs.

Ryth
10-27-2007, 09:56 PM
They used to be a really by-the-books punk band, now they're a really subpar and bad wannabe-goth band.

Momiji
10-28-2007, 01:24 AM

Yes excellent. My personal favorite is 'But Home is Nowhere' on Sing The Sorrow.

Do you even like their old stuff too Bert, back when they were more punkish than...hmm how do you describe them now?

Markus. D
10-28-2007, 02:52 AM
I love AFI... there is such, musical bliss in the music.

<3

Blaqk audio cannot defeat the group Poet showed me the other day~

escobert
10-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Yes excellent. My personal favorite is 'But Home is Nowhere' on Sing The Sorrow.

Do you even like their old stuff too Bert, back when they were more punkish than...hmm how do you describe them now?

yeah, I like verything they did until the newest one.

theundeadhero
10-28-2007, 05:22 AM
I've liked everything up until December Underground, but then I only gave that CD one chance. Maybe if I keep trying it out it will grow on me. Who knows?

Nominus Experse
10-28-2007, 08:21 AM
No, just no

Spatvark
10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
the best stuff on decemberunderground are the iTunes bonus tracks, like Jack the Ripper and Fallen Like the Sky. The main album itself is mostly mediocre, which is saddening.

Sing the Sorrow is my favourite album of all of theirs, just sheers awesomeness from beginning to end, especially the hidden track, This Time Imperfect.

I'd probably say God Called in Sick Today is my favourite of their songs; I remember first hearing it on a Kerrang CD, and absolutely loving it, despite the fact I somehow managed to link it to Ultravox's Vienna in my mind... don't ask.

The first three albums, the more punk ones, are decent, but not especially amazing I thought. There are good songs hidden amongst them, like Man in a Suitcase and A Single Second, but they're not common enough for me to really like the albums.

The thing with AFI, is that they're constantly evolving. Even during the three punk albums, you can hear their growth, and then came the A Fire Inside EP, where they departed from the punk style by a large margin. AFI, Black Sails, All Hallow's and Art of Drowning are all relatively similar in style. Then came Sing the Sorrow, a vast progression of their style from their second era, followed by decemberunderground, which while not as good, is again another step in their musical evolution.

They've a new EP coming out towards the end of the year/beginning of the next, so I'm looking forward to that, though they're supposed to be songs from the decemberunderground sessions (except possibly Carcinogen Crush, which was originally from Sing the Sorrow), so there may not be a large progression from that.

When their eighth album comes out, I'll be buying in on the day of release, just like I did for The Art of Drowning, Sing the Sorrow and decemberunderground. Sure, their last album wasn't especially good, but I'm expecting something a bit different on their next one, so I've no will to hold that against them.

NeoTifa
10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
wouldnt it be like the 10th? i was at their booth at warped tour, and i saw a total of 9. well, im fairly new to afi, like last few years new, and im really poor, so i haven't really had a chance to hear their old stuff. i just know that davey wears too much makeup now and i have sorta lost respect because of that. BUT! *is currently watching musicvideo on youtube for the leaving song 2* :hyper: omg i think i have to go take a cold shower now :P if someone wants to email or aim me and attach files of their old stuf to me i would appreciate :)

Shlup
10-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I enjoy the AFI. I made an AFI shirt for The Sims 2 that the Sim of my husband often wears.

NeoTifa
10-29-2007, 12:32 AM
lol ur "husbands" hawt. jk. i have that same shirt. got it at warped tour :eek:

Momiji
10-29-2007, 02:48 AM
I didn't know they were releasing an EP soon! I should look into it.

However, I think Sing the Sorrow was the most poetic and aesthetically pleasing to me. But unlike everyone else, I liked decemberunderground too. :eep: