PDA

View Full Version : Victory is boring

Vermachtnis
10-27-2007, 01:06 AM
You ever get to final boss or optional boss fight and become disapointed with out easy it was?

Rostum
10-27-2007, 01:18 AM
All the time.

Captain Maxx Power
10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
It's not the end of the journey that is important, young grasshopper. It is the journey itself.

Besides which I'm a much bigger fan of victoly.

Markus. D
10-27-2007, 02:02 AM
I ussually feel accomplished after a final battle if there is no sudden helping hand (like in FFX :\...).

Sometimes though...

Mr Cactuar
10-27-2007, 02:08 AM
FFX comes to mind. But the amazing ending easily made it up for me.

Lionx
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
It's not the end of the journey that is important, young grasshopper. It is the journey itself.

Besides which I'm a much bigger fan of victoly.

Lol SNK Victoly ftw <3

In most RPG games, this is true. You just get so strong at the end that usually the last boss is not that tough anymore. I would guess this is the only time i feel FFVIII's monster scaling with you level thing to work well, it IS the final boss after all and should provide you with a tough time.

Thats why fighting games rock, with another player the game never becomes easy.

Vivisteiner
10-27-2007, 01:27 PM
So true.

Dreddz
10-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Thats why fighting games rock, with another player the game never becomes easy.

Fighting games rock because of the depth of each character and the skill needed to master them. This reflects on how well you play against others, leading to how satisfying it is when you beat somebody. Probably why im obsessed with them.

I disagree that it never becomes easy when your playing somebody else though, the amount of bozo's you get on Tekken Online that think they can win by spamming Steves and Christines moves are always cake because they have no clue what they're doing, making them vulnerable to anything you do on them, and because you obviously know what your doing, games rarely last longer than a single digit.

Lionx
10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Dreddz i meant more in terms of non-scrubs, those that adapt to what you do and learn, and come back stronger. Sure you can beat them now, but they will learn from their mistakes(possibly recording themselves) and kick your ass next time, forcing you to get better, which then forces them to get better(rinse & repeat). A real player/competitor, not scrubs(not to be confused with the term newb).

Thats mainly what i mean mostly, especially those in Tournaments with 2/3 matches. Sure you got em the first time, but he analyzed you and will know how to deal with you better the second/third time around...adaptation from my opponent keeps me coming back.

The application of your understanding of your character vs matchups/others, the changing mind of the opponent, seeing new random techniques from an old game still own you, and even sometimes the trash talk is fun xD. Most of all, if the game has enough mind games, it will keep me going to be one step ahead of the competition. I mean i might have alot of game-knowledge, but sometimes the mind-game/psychology of the game can still get to me (especially in 3rd strike or against a rushdown N Groover/P Groover in CvS2) turning your brain to mush/forcing you to change the way you play. Its frustrating, yet fun :3 Knowing that theres alot of thought put into every button press.

If you understand what i am trying to get at. The game never gets old/easy, just like Super Turbo is now.

Madame Adequate
10-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, happens a lot.

Zeromus_X
10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
It does happen a bit; but games have become much better at this recently. Final bosses are usually only easy if you overpower yourself, anyway.

Ultima Shadow
10-28-2007, 02:57 PM
All the time.

Lawr
10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Play some Valkyrie Profile.

Bolivar
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

LOL; KNOWLEDGE!!!

I actually enjoy it when the final boss is easy because it's like "sorry, but i've made my guys so legendary that now you're just a punk." although on the re-play it can be dissapointing.

However, the epic battle where it's a constant back and forth and you're not sure if you're going to win is probably the best atmosphere for the endgame of an RPG. Chrono Trigger did that for me and it made the ending that much better. Sephiroth w/o KOTR provides this and the opera music just takes it to another level.

Vivisteiner
10-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I actually used to enjoy videogame fights more when I was crap at them.

I was 10 and I had the most epic battle with Necron. My characters were extremely weak and somehow it lasted for aaaaages. I ended up winning with only Freya left on 300HP in trance mode.

Those were the good days.

Nowadays I win with all characters standing and decent health to boot. :(

Rengori
10-28-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm always underleveled so no.

Shlup
10-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm always underleveled so no.

Yeah, I tend to just run through games so I'm never close to the max level or anything.

Lawr
10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm always overleveled nowadays. But I remember being in a situation like Vivisteiner, but Zeromus still killed me though. I was still proud of myself because I got through almost all of Hard Type when I was 9. :D

Ashi
11-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Haven't played that many console rpgs in recent years, but yeah final boss fights have been somewhat disappointing.

Although, it's no fun if things are too difficult, too.

The arena (I can't remember what it was called) in Kingdom Hearts 2 had some very challenging battles. The final KH2 battle I had to replay, not because of difficulty but I was distracted with something else that there was something I didn't notice.

Most final boss battles these days are just long, but not that difficult. Guess it's due to us levelling our characters a lot that we tend to find them easy. My reason for over levelling is that in my younger days - I barely levelled at all. Now I just get the games with battle systems that I do enjoy, rather than the classic turn based that sometimes puts me to sleep. Don't mean that they're all boring, but some are, to me anyway.

Remedy
11-10-2007, 03:14 PM
ffxii way too easy

Little Blue
11-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I think the only non-trivial final boss I've ever faced is the Dark Cloud in FF III (I was quite badly underlevelled), but then I rarely play games through to completion. Though its always nice if you're playing a strategy game and whilst picking on some tiny empires you then get your arse handed to you by someone you've just met with a massive empire on the unexplored side of the map, humble pie rocks!

boys from the dwarf
11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
I actually used to enjoy videogame fights more when I was crap at them.

I was 10 and I had the most epic battle with Necron. My characters were extremely weak and somehow it lasted for aaaaages. I ended up winning with only Freya left on 300HP in trance mode.

Those were the good days.

Nowadays I win with all characters standing and decent health to boot. :(

man i used to love that when i was younger!

you'd be uncertain of winning and you've lost once or twice before. and you spend hours thinking about the battle but avoiding it because your scared of wasting time losing, and your nervous and suspect something might go wrong when you get to the final battle.

but now with all the knowledge from experience or the interenet, people just go up to final battles fully informed with a good certainty of victory.

NGU
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I still love final battles because they are the conclusion and it is a good feeling to win :)

Breine
11-16-2007, 04:18 PM

I'd have to agree with Maxx on this one. It is more about the journey, than the actual difficulty of the last boss. I'm not saying that if the boss is ridiculously easy I wouldn't care, but just that there are other factors that play a part as well - such as e.g. the epic-ness of the battle, which is something most boss battles have, and the actual gameplay.. y'know, if it's fun and interesting.

The final boss in Final Fantasy X is a great example: It's an easy battle, but because it's so epic and serves as an amazing conclusion to the game I really couldn't care less. The game has other challenging bosses that should satisfy gamers looking for that. I don't think I've defeated a final boss and been 100% disappointed with it.

Tallulah
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I tend to count Braska's Final Aeon as the final boss in FFX as Yu Yevon was so smurfing pathetic.

Also Sephiroth was so easy, even at level 40-50 or so... V. disappointing. :(