PDA

View Full Version : So londoners, ready for the NFL??

escobert
10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
So, the New York Giants take on the Miami Dolphins in London this week. I guess the giants are the #9 most popular team in the world and Miami is 2nd behind the Pats. Anyways I think it's cool. How many of you englishmen are going to watch the game?

Kirobaito
10-27-2007, 05:32 AM
So, the New York Giants take on the Miami Dolphins in London this week. I guess the giants are the #9 most popular team in the world and Miami is 2nd behind the Pats. Anyways I think it's cool. How many of you englishmen are going to watch the game?
There's no way your popularity numbers are correct... Miami isn't even close to the most popular team, nor are the Pats, actually. The Pats have very few fans outside of New England.

A Harris poll done this month put it as:

1) Cowboys
2) Colts
3) Steelers
4) Packers

Which I would say is pretty much correct. You can also search Google Trends for search terms, and the Cowboys are always heads-and-shoulders above everyone else (except for the Super Bowl champion in February of their winning year) in terms of searched teams.

But anyway, I'll be watching the game, if for any reason to see how many people are there, and how Wembley Stadium does in holding it.

EDIT: <a href="http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=811">Most Popular NFL Franchise: October 1, 2007</a>

escobert
10-27-2007, 05:35 AM
I got mine from USA Today. I dunno.

Del Murder
10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Well that link does say US, so maybe Miami is popular internationally.

Anyway, I think this branching out of the NFL is dumb.

Heath
10-27-2007, 08:54 AM

This is the first I've heard of it. I doubt many of us will actually care, to be honest. Might get a few people turning up since we've been into rugby lately, what with England coming second in the world cup, and we all love sports that are slightly more brutal than cricket.

DK
10-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I only heard about it recently, which sucks 'cause I would have loved to have gone. But, I'll watch it on TV. They've been showing NFL all season so it's all good

Old Manus
10-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Londoners may go to the game, but they won't have a clue what is going on.

demondude
10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Londoners may go to the game, but they won't have a clue what is going on.

He's right which is why I'm not going. :p

Burtsplurt
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
I think it'll be a draw.

Er, not for British spectators, obviously.

Rocket Edge
10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Just heard about it this morning. Yeah, probably won't have a clue whats going on but I'll look at some of it all the same. :monster:

starseeker
10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Can someone please explain to me what sport this is and why on Earth it's going on in London? I haven't got a clue what's going on. Who is playing and are they important?, cos I've never heard of them.

Cz
10-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I'd like to watch, and I'd like even more to have gone, but it clashes with the Liverpool-Arsenal game, and there's no way I'm missing that. I should be abe to catch a bit of the first half, but that's only if I can find a TV that's showing it, and sadly I don't think that's too likely.

There's a small but dedicated NFL fanbase in the UK, and I imagine the crowd at the game itself will be fantastic. I don't see it doing much for the sport's overall popularity here, though. Some people will tune in for the novelty, but plenty of them will give up after the first quarter when they can't figure out which one's the Quarterback.

charliepanayi
10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
It's a shame if this is on during Liverpool v Arsenal as it looks like it'll be quite fun to have an NFL game in London. I quite like watching the sport sometimes, it's certainly better than bloody Test cricket or something anyway. I may keep an eye on it though. And the rules really aren't that difficult!

Del Murder
10-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The quarterback is the easiest player to identify, besides probably the kicker. Guess what he does?

escobert
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Can someone please explain to me what sport this is and why on Earth it's going on in London? I haven't got a clue what's going on. Who is playing and are they important?, cos I've never heard of them.

The NFL, National Football League. American football. The Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants in London tomorrow.

I wish more of the world enjoyed Football. It truly is a great game with lots of passion and excitment.

One of the guys who will be announcing the game said " I hope the crowd isn't silent on a huge play then cheer their heads off for a punt"

Dreddz
10-27-2007, 09:32 PM
People will go just for a reason to go to the O2 arena, which has been dormant for what, 7 years?

Anywho, I would go but my Oyster card expired yesterday.

escobert
10-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I thought it was in the new arena?

charliepanayi
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
It's at Wembley, not the O2.

Dreddz
10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought it was in the new arena?

Crap, right you are!

So what the hell is happening in the O2 arena then, I could of sworn.....*mumbes*......

DK
10-28-2007, 10:21 AM
it's certainly better than bloody Test cricket or something anyway

Test Cricket > You

Madame Adequate
10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I only heard about it recently, which sucks 'cause I would have loved to have gone. But, I'll watch it on TV. They've been showing NFL all season so it's all good

Second'd. I'd have probably gone if I'd known about it soon enough.

Ouch!
10-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Tickets went on sale months ago and sold out in half an hour. One of my friends got seven tickets. I was planning on bumming a ticket off of him, but considering that I'm sitting on my bed watching the game on television, that obviously didn't happen. =P

Go Dolphins. D=

Kirobaito
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I apologize for any Londoners having to watch the travesty that are the Miami Dolphins. Of course, this game had to have scheduled one of the worst teams in NFL history.

Old Manus
10-28-2007, 08:03 PM
it's certainly better than bloody Test cricket or something anyway

Test Cricket > YouQFMFT :wasim:

Bloodline666
10-31-2007, 04:58 AM
The NFL should've had the Colts/Patriots game scheduled for Wembly instead of a one-sided game like Giants/Dolphins.

I found it amazing that pretty much every team was represented in the stands, and not just the two teams playing. I even saw some throwback jerseys in the stands. That should tell you what kind of future the NFL has over there.

And I always thought "God Save The Queen" was a Sex Pistols song. I never knew it was the UK's national anthem. Shows how much I know about that place. :(

And next time a game is played over there, let's hope for better weather. I mean, the British would've known how an onside kick really works had the weather and turf (which they call "pitch") been better.

charliepanayi
10-31-2007, 09:22 PM
To be fair I guess they didn't know when they scheduled the game months ago how much of a disparity there'd be between the two teams in terms of quality.

And I wish God Save the Queen wasn't the national anthem here, believe me :(

DK
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
I wish the Sex Pistols version was. :monster:

charliepanayi
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I wish the Sex Pistols version was. :monster:

No I wish it was The National Anthem by Radiohead ;)

MKusanagi
10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
I can't watch sports:( . My roommate hijacks the tv.