PDA

View Full Version : New Japanese questions...

Peter_20
10-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Alright, so I'm learning Kanji signs.
I was wondering if it's worth learning the meaning of each separate sign, or is it better practising combinations of them?

For example, I read that a translation for "hi" / "ka" became "Tuesday", but then I found out it should be written together with the "youbi" sign in order to become "Tuesday" = "kayoubi".
Does this go for the other ones as well, or is it worth learning single signs?

starseeker
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
It is important to learn both the single signs and the compounds, particularly as most kanji have different readings when they're on their own (ie, in verbs) or in compounds.

Peter_20
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks.
I've got another question, though:
could someone please translate these sentences that I found in Final Fantasy 1? :D

Fat = Hiragana
Italics = Katakana

---

"Hei irasshai!"

"Kokoha yumenomiyako Ko-neria."

"Idodesu. Nenikaarisoutenenimonei, idodesu."

"Oujoha onenomonode!
Denenimo watasan!
Hikarinosenshidato. Kozakashiiyatsurayo!
Kono Ga-randogo kechirashi tekuneyou!"

I can tell what things like "messe-ji supe-do" is supposed to mean, though. :p

starseeker
10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
hei irrashai = Welcome

Kokoha yumenomiyako Ko-neria = Here is the city of dreams Corneria.

Hikarinosenshidato = Light Warriors

I'll put up more when I find my dictionary

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-31-2007, 01:08 AM
For more info about kanji and readings go here (http://kanjisite.com/html/wak/wak4.html) and continue through the next several points.

Summary:

Kanji basically have two different kinds of readings (for the most part). Kunyomi and Onyomi. To explain the two different types of readings in a basic sense, kun reading is the Japanese reading whereas on reading is the Chinese reading. The kun reading is often use when the kanji is standing alone as a noun, adjective or a verb. The on reading is often use when the kanji is found in compounds with other kanji. There are exceptions to this, but that is basically how it goes.

An example would be the kanji for big (大).

The kun reading for 大 is "oo". An example is 大きい where it is read as "ookii" which is the adjective meaning "big"

The on reading for 大 is "dai". An example is 大学 where 大 is read as "dai" and 学 is read as "gaku". BTW 大学 means university.

The thing is some kanji can have more than one on reading (I am not too sure if they can have more than one kun reading). The best way to familiarize yourself with the various on readings is to learn the kanji is, as you said, practice them in combination.

EDIT: BTW the "ha" in "Kokoha yumenomiyako Ko-neria" should be read as "wa". In sentences, the topic is marked by the particle "wa" though it is write with は (ha) it is pronounced "wa". So when you read it, it should be "Koko wa yume no miyako kooneria". (The hyphen/dash looking mark in katakana indicates a long vowel). The verb is omitted since it is implied, or so that is what I am assuming. I am not familiar with casual speech. :/

EDIT2: Sometimes in words using more than one kanji, the kanji will be read using their kun reading. This often happens in Japanese family names. Example: 山田さん which is read as "Yamada-san" (Yamada being the family name and -san being an honorific). "Yama" and "da" are both kun readings of their respective kanji. You should note that where 田 's kun reading is "ta", it undergoes a should change in 山田さん where it undergoes a sound change from "ta" to "da". Basically it changes from a voiceless consonant ("t") to a voiced consonant ("d"). This will happen from time to time and make hell of your life, or so I find especially when you start time counters and they like to change sound every once and a while.

Peter_20
10-31-2007, 04:43 PM
lol, thanks everyone, this was some precious info. :D

*continues learning Japanese* :cool:

Jimsour
11-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I dont know many kanji myself but I find that knowing the meanings of them help a lot when you dont know the pronounciation of the word.

I seriously suggest you take actual Japanese lessons if you are to take it seriously, games and anime are a terrible place for learning actual practical Japanese. Would you talk to someone in English the way Basch talks in FFXII? I wouldnt.

Peter_20
11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I dont know many kanji myself but I find that knowing the meanings of them help a lot when you dont know the pronounciation of the word.

I seriously suggest you take actual Japanese lessons if you are to take it seriously, games and anime are a terrible place for learning actual practical Japanese. Would you talk to someone in English the way Basch talks in FFXII? I wouldnt.Well, but I've found that Final Fantasy 1 is a great game to play when practising kana, because that game doesn't seem to use any kanji.
Furthermore, it uses a fairly serious tone, and I haven't noticed any weird ungrammatical sentences so far.

crono_logical
11-02-2007, 12:29 PM
I personally find games with kanji easier, since it's less brainwork to work out where the word breaks are meant to be, plus once you know a fair amount of kanji, you can start to understand new words without knowing yet how to pronounce them :p

Peter_20
11-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I personally find games with kanji easier, since it's less brainwork to work out where the word breaks are meant to be, plus once you know a fair amount of kanji, you can start to understand new words without knowing yet how to pronounce them :pYeah, Kanji rules.
I don't know why, but there's a certain nice feeling using lots of Kanji - probably because it feels so comfortable writing words with one single sign, and it takes up a very small space as well. :D