PDA

View Full Version : 'Recurring' Dreams

Peegee
10-29-2007, 02:09 PM
My brother says one cannot have the same dream over and over, in that if you think you have the same dream, it's the same 'theme' but the events are different. I agree with that.

However that doesn't stop me from having the same damn annoying dream. It often happens because I can't have lucid dreams that aren't filthy, so I end up running in circles, seemingly literally:

My dream always involves trying to go back into high school and ending up in all sorts of other places. Take last night for example. I took the bus to high school, and started running around there. I grab a bus and then I have to go back to school again, but I end up at my old neighborhood where I went to grade school for like...4 years before I realised what was going on. I forget the rest cuz I bet my cell phone woke me up for work.

Other 'kinds' of this dream have me walking around in the old neighborhood and finding my high school where it shouldn't be. I keep trying to go back to school, or I'll have dreams that I have assignments due. Or like last night I'll dream that I have to go to work but some sort of bizarro world state of circumstances makes the whole endeavor ethereal.

Personally I don't think dreams have any semantical meaning outside of the literal. Sometimes I can't make sense of dreams (if you're scratching your head now you know what I mean), so I also think dreams have no semantical meaning. What do you thiink? And you psychology buffs can have your way with my psyche, cuz you're just dying to justify your college tuition fees.

:D

CelestialStarDust
10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
once i had a reaccuring dream where i kept jumping off a cliff.it always happened after other dreams,and always at the end.i always woke up on the floor :D but never hit anything 'in' my dream.

but i went to hawaii about 6 years later and found myself at the top of a 10 foot rock that people were jumping off of for fun.i guess you could call it having 'de ja vu' but i ended up landing in water instead.that night i finally finished my dream,and i landed in water.

tidus_rox
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
once i had a reaccuring dream where i kept jumping off a cliff.it always happened after other dreams,and always at the end.i always woke up on the floor :D but never hit anything 'in' my dream.

but i went to hawaii about 6 years later and found myself at the top of a 10 foot rock that people were jumping off of for fun.i guess you could call it having 'de ja vu' but i ended up landing in water instead.that night i finally finished my dream,and i landed in water.

WOW thats amazing! I used to have a dream where there would be a deer on top of a cliff, it would die, then I would scream. Weird. I used to have a book of dream interpritations, and it did work. People that can tell you the meaning of dreams are not lying - it works. For instance; I had a dream of me floating in the sky. I looked up "sky" in the book, and it told me that I am anxious to be named something. Like, to be brought to a higher political level, or something like that. I was running for valedictorian at the time.

rubah
10-29-2007, 04:00 PM
I have some two-parters and some dreams that reference past dreams, but I dont think I've ever had the same dream.

Except the waking dreams of being at work.

Jojee
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Sometimes after I dream something, I wake up and I get this feeling of deja vu and I realize that I already dreamt the same thing before but just forgotten about it. xD Is that possible? It happens pretty often.

KoShiatar
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I believe dreams make the most meaning to the people who make them. I almost always can associate the dreams I can remember with some event or feeling that I'm experiencing in real life lately.
I've had many recurring dreams, but the most pleasant involves me going for shells on the seaside and finding giant ones. I've had it, like, for 10 years now and I still have it once in a while. Also I dream of turtles and aquarium fish, I dream that there are little turtles everywhere. I believe I like turtles for their "shell", a shelter they can hide in when there are problems, and I am very similar to that in character.

theundeadhero
10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Growing up I have had several different dreams that I dreamed the exact same way more than once. I also have dreams that referrence other dreams. I also kinda have a whole dream town, where I discover a new part of town each time I dream about it, but in my dream I see how it connects to the rest of what I've alreqady dreamed about the town.

Tasura
10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Saying one can't have recurring dreams is like saying one can't have lucid dreams.

When I was young I had more recurring nightmares than dreams, over time the dreams got longer as I got older, to the point that I could finally see the dream through to the end and after that I never had it again.

And as for dream interpretation, don't get me started, I've interpreted dreams for a lot of people a few years ago, and some even on this forum.

NeoTifa
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
i have plenty.

one ive had for years now is i would be in my aunts old house. my gma and said aunt lived within 6 block of each other before they moved to another town, then they moved within 5 mins of eachother:P and around a few more aunts of mine. well, when you walked into the living room of my aunts house, you look to the right and there is a door. behind it is a staircase. it was well lit all the time in my dreams anyways. when you reach the top, its my cousins bedroom. no door barrier. well, in my dreams, i would be standing next to her bed, and looking into her mirror. no matter how old i am when im dreaming it, i see my 4 year old self, lonely and depressed. then i would walk to the staircase and look down the stairs. it would be light up top, yet down down in the bottom. i would close my eyes and swan dive far enough out to where i wouldnt hit the steps on the way down. i would open my eyes to see the dark carpet and the closed door rushing to my face. right before i hit, i wake.

another is im in my grandmas old house. its 2 stories, but in real life it isnt. everything i remember is upstairs (like the whole house) and im alone. its very dimly lit and its night, like im relying on moonlight to light the house. her house was creepy enough in the light but jeez. im in a panic for some reason. it must stay out of the house! so i lock all the windows and as i go to lock the glass door, i see it. its in a black cloak and really gaunt looking. cant see a face. i slam the door and lock it, then i run upstairs to my grandmas bedroom and hide under the bunches of blankets in her walk-in closet. ha ha he'll never find me! but then i think to myself..."did i lock the garage door?!" omigawd i didnt! so i frantically cover myself further. it opens the door and snatches the blankets off of me. i scream and kick it. as im running to the windows, it gets up and starts walking casualy toward me. i panic because i cannot get the window open, then right when he reches me, i jump out. landing on my feet wrong, i roll over to see its ugly jet black faceless hooded head hanging out of the window to look at me. i roll over again and start running down the street, only im not really running. my feet are moving and im leaning into it, but its like im jogging in place. it is casually walking toward me, i panic, and then it reaches me. it proceeds to put its arms around me and put me into a bearhug. i scream then wake up.

another is im at my old playground at my old elementary school (in same town as gma and aunt). its towards the end of twilight; the sky is dark and the clouds and moon are blood red. im running away. i hide in the big tube. but he saw me, cuz he sticks his head in and gives an evil grin. sephiroth! :eek: lol. (only its not really funny cuz hes trying to kill me ;-; ) i hear one winged angel in my head. its really windy all of a sudden. i crawl out and run in between bars in the jungle gym to dodge his masemune attacks. i get sick of it and say "why are you trying to kill me? ive never done anything to you! i am like your biggest fan!" he just smirks and swings it one last time, and when it reaches my throat, i wake.

scary, n'est-ce pas?

Tavrobel
10-29-2007, 10:14 PM
My brother says one cannot have the same dream over and over, in that if you think you have the same dream, it's the same 'theme' but the events are different. I agree with that.

It's not true. You can have the same dream often; I used to have the same dream of falling off of the jungle gym in Elementary school, and waking up before I hit the woodchips. The other is me getting shot by a certain girl I know in the left leg twice.

Rye
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I've had plenty of recurring dreams.

Generally, recurring dreams are caused by something that is consistently bothering you. These bothering feelings come out from your unconscious while you dream, but in weird ways.

Vikeve
10-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I kept on having a dream where I would see a shadow chasing me. Then once that thing caught up to me it turned out to be this little cute and fluffy dog but when I walked up to it to pet me it's head grew huge with giant teeth and I woke up before it could eat me.

One of the reasons why little dogs scare me but I'm also afraid of little dogs since hal of them enjoy humping me when I try to pet it.:cry:

Madame Adequate
10-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't recall having recurring dreams, but I do know that I have dreams set in the same place now and then. Not that I can bring any such places to mind right now.

NaroK
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Iused to have recurring dreams often when i was a bi younger. It was the one i thought everyone has/had where you are running away from something but it isnt fast enough:rolleyes2

Lenneth
10-29-2007, 11:41 PM
I remember when I was a wee one (grade 3-4), I had this same dream that I was running through what I now figure were war trenches, and me and my friend kept running through this maze of trenches, being chased by a chainsaw-weilding woman (who is the reason why I hate the female Salvadors in Resident Evil 4), and my friend would be running ahead of me, and the woman would drop from the upper level and kill him, and then I'd (for some reason) keep running towards her, and she'd slice my head off.

This happened for about 3 or 4 days.

Iceglow
10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
I agree PG, we can have very similar dreams to the previous nights dream but they're not reccuring in it's entirity there will always be subconcious changes in the dream that are beyond our control. Say for example you have a dream where you get with the girl of your dreams (for the purpose of this example, I'll use Kelly Clarkson) You nail Kelly Clarkson and find yourself dreaming the "same" dream the next night you then subconciously will change events, because you will perhaps just hurry through something meaningless and insignificant to your mind such as dinner, watching a movie, getting your hair cut ect. The dream is now not the same but similar therefore the only thing reccurring is the theme. I've had many cases of this happening to me, sometimes 1 thing changed, othertimes many things changed in my dreams but the theme was always the same.

Whats scarier in my mind is how two people can dream about the exact same topic/thing (in particular, each other) when not even in the same country. I've experienced it and it has made me feel a little strange but it was at the same point strangely awesome to think about. I wonder if others have felt this experience?

Ashi
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Pureghetto: I think I agree with your brother. Similar events, but definately not the same dream.

When I was about 4 I kept getting myself locked in dark rooms and having my family break down the door to get me out and that terrified the hell out of me that for a few years after it I kept having dreams where I was locked between the bars on a window, and the window itself, or inside a drawer, or inside something tiny right between the cabinet with the drawers and the window - but I don't think that room in particular was the one I locked myself in. And probably the only reason I remember them is because they were the sort of dreams that woke me up in coldsweat - I recall this because my parents would wake up too (or well, I would wake up and see them standing over my bed). I don't think any other dreams/nightmares had this effect on me after that.

Iceglow: I know what you are talking about in your last paragraph. There is this person that I met online who is pretty much my twin except older than me, we even finish each other's sentences all the time.

There was this time when I had a dream I was walking down some staircase (very huge and with rocks) and it was really dark. I felt like I was decending into the 'darkness' where there was a big double door at the bottom and behind it was all shadow. While walking down I saw a person who was walking up those same stairs.

That friend told me some days later that they recently had a dream. Except in their dream they were walking up a huge staircase - but they were walking up, ascending into somewhere with light.

It turned out we had those dreams at probably the same day. It wasn't the first or only time that we've had 'similar dreams' at around the same time, either.

Candle Jack
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Care to join us?

Jigsaw
10-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Dude, candle jack, what's your dealio for realio? You keep doing all those spammy pos

Candle Jack
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm gonna need more rope.