PDA

View Full Version : legalizing pot = stressing me out

NeoTifa
10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
im supposed to be writing this argumentative essay in english, and i was going to do legalizing marijuana. i dont do it, but i still think it should be legalized. i dont know which way to go with it, cuz he said just saying to legalizing it would be too broad and take way too much time. most people who write the paper for pot say legalize for medicinal use. i was thinking more crime control and bootlegging and stuff, but i guess the statistics are really against me. :( and there was the religious aspect of it too (peace pipe :cool: ). could you guys maybe nudge me in the right direction? please? or write my paper for me :tongue: (just for you shlup)

Ouch!
10-31-2007, 07:41 PM
In my experience, English teachers hate it when students choose to write about legalizing marijuana. I'm sure your teacher has read every possible angle on the subject and is bored to tears by it.

You're likely better off choosing a topic you're more certain on instead of having someone else establish an angle for you. What's the point of choosing your own topic if you want someone to dictate what you write?

JerseyMage
10-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Instead of writing that legalizing marijuana would help society, since the statistics you found say that crime and stuff like that isnt helped, you should make the topic that Making marijuana illegal infringes on the freedoms of US citizens, and therefore it should not have been made illegal in the first place.

Writing a draft would help, so that Eoffers can revise your ideas so far.

NeoTifa
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
thats the point, i need to know what to write about. and 9/10th of the people are actually doing gay marriage. :( we have a set list. i was thinking about harsher punishment for sexual preditors or censorship, but i thought the pot one would be better

rubah
10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
censorship would probably be a better topic right now since we're having our first amendment rights removed daily.

MKusanagi
10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Just use the angle that legalizing Marijuana will lower the crime rate which it will. There isn't much to counter that. Marijuana has almost no connection to violence. Alcohol is much more volatile.

NeoTifa
11-02-2007, 04:36 AM
well, i just got a stoner off the brink of suicide, and my paper is already pretty much late, so im just gonna do censorship. im kinda against marijuana in general now. sry :(

Mirage
11-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Are you sure it was the marijuana that made him suicidal?

Anyway, I think I would do censorship. Or Marijuana legalization.

MKusanagi
11-03-2007, 02:07 AM
well, i just got a stoner off the brink of suicide, and my paper is already pretty much late, so im just gonna do censorship. im kinda against marijuana in general now. sry :(
Oh my, girl. You are funny. If he was an alcoholic you would say "sry im kinda against alcohol in general now." Drugs can make people do stupid things and if you have a tendency towards emotional disorders or mental illness then drugs will tend to make it worse... except for me. I'm special. I am immune.

eestlinc
11-04-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm writing a 10,000-word article on judicial minimalism and its application to a recent US Supreme Court case. So I'll trade topics with you.

MKusanagi
11-05-2007, 03:26 AM
I feel for you, eestlinc.

NeoTifa
11-17-2007, 09:11 PM
nope i lied. i did it on animal testing :P so will you guys proofread it for me? cuz my final is the solutions paper, which is integrating the solutions i come up with into the original, and i want to get the original fixed so it doesnt sound so retarded when i turn in the same mistakes twice.

edited!!!! go me!!! <3<3<3

Erica Boyer
C. Bays
English 111-13
11-5-07
Why Animal Testing Should Be Banned
Do you remember seeing that cute little white bunny you got for Easter when you were 6? It was so fluffy and adorable, and you loved it so. Now imagine it being forced into a cage and being forced to inhale high doses of toxic fumes or having its fur ripped off and burning its bare skin with chemicals. Not pretty is it? I believe that testing developing drugs and chemicals on animal is illogical and unethical because the results are unreliable, animals have rights, and it wastes a lot of charity money.
What is cruel? According to a dictionary I used, the definition of cruel is willfully or knowingly causing pain or distress to others (Dictionary.com). Why would somebody wish to knowingly cause pain to a poor innocent animal? Is it to help the humans with their research and developing technologies? Humans are animals, and to misuse another living animal for the human's benefit is wrong.
A lot of pharmaceutical companies use animals to test their products. It is actually regulation by the FDA for all developing medications to get approval to be tested on animals before they are to be tested on humans (1). Sometimes, though, these results are not the same when tested on humans. Everybody knows that if a dog eats chocolate, it will kill the dog, but humans eat chocolate on a day-to-day basis. Animals have different digestions systems from humans and cannot eat the same things as humans. A guinea pig, for example, can eat strychnine safely, but humans will die if they ingest it (2). The results are not reliable; animals just react different to certain chemicals from humans. Would you want to take a new drug knowing that it may be safe on animals but could potentially kill humans? I know I sure wouldn't.
Animals also have rights. They are living creatures like you and I and deserved to be treated with the equal amount of respect. As on PETA's official website, "All animals have the ability to suffer in the same way and to the same degree that humans do. They feel pain, pleasure, fear, frustration, loneliness, and motherly love." (5). They are just like humans in this respect, for we feel all these emotions as well. Would you like to be crammed into a 10 x10 room with 99 other people and forced to live like that, while someone "higher" than you picks you out one by one and conducts experiments on you? The animals sure do not like it, and that isn't healthy for them either. This fits into the definition of cruelty.
In retrospect, however, some good has come out of animal testing. Without the use of dogs, we would not have insulin for all the diabetics. Also, the cancer treatment chemotherapy would not exist (4). An excerpt from Dr. Joseph E. Murray's, a Nobel Laureate, article states:
"In December 1995, AIDS patient Jeff Getty underwent an experimental treatment that involved injecting bone marrow cells from a baboon into his body to bolster his immune system (baboons are immune to the AIDS virus). The loss of the donor baboon was tolerable because scientists and doctors should use all methods at hand when combating deadly human diseases. Like the many other treatments and medicines that have contributed to improved human health, the cure for AIDS will undoubtedly come through animal experimentation. (Editor's note: Getty's body rejected the baboon cells, but he continues to look for other cures.)"
As you can see, it didn't work. Humans are not baboons. The failures are far outnumbering the successes, and more animals' lives are being taken than human lives can be saved.
Another thing, besides animal's lives, that are being wasted, is money. A lot of taxpayer's money is being wasted on this fruitless research. According to physician Peggy Carlson, "U.S. health care expenditures totaled $884 billion in 1993 and are expected to have reached $1 trillion in 1995." This seems to me like an awful lot of money to be wasted on senselessly killing animals. 14% of the United States' economy goes to "health care", and still more is being donated and taken out of our taxes (2). This money could be used to get homeless people off of the streets. Instead, this is where it goes, and yet, we still haven't gotten any closer to the cure for AIDS or cancer.
As you can see, animal testing cannot be truly justified. There are too many risks in using animal results on humans, and the lives of animals are very precious. The results from the research are not reliable, and animals have rights. Also it is a huge waste of money. What the government is saying, in my honest opinion, is that it is illegal for civilians to beat a dog, but it is okay for big companies to kill them and cut them open for a reason that they know will fail. This seems a little cruel.

JerseyMage
11-18-2007, 02:32 AM
Your essay was good already, it only took about 5 minutes to correct, if you have a question just ask. And wow you are really graphic with your writing.

I copied and pasted your essay it should show up here:

Why Animal Testing Should Be Banned
Do you remember seeing that cute little white bunny you got for Easter when you were 6? It was so fluffy and adorable, and you loved it so. Now imagine it being forced into a cage, and then forced to inhale high doses of toxic fumes. Imagine it having its fur ripped off and it’s bare skin burned with chemicals. Not pretty is it? I believe that testing developing drugs and chemicals on animals is illogical and unethical because the results are unreliable, animals have rights, and it wastes a lot of charity money.
What is cruel? According to a dictionary I used, the definition of cruel is willfully or knowingly causing pain or distress to others (Dictionary.com). Why would somebody wish to knowingly cause pain to a poor innocent animal? Is it to help humans with their research and developing technologies? Humans are animals, and to misuse another living animal to benefit humans is wrong.
A lot of pharmaceutical companies use animals to test their products. There is actually regulation by the FDA for all developing medications requiring approval for testing done on animals before those medications can be tested on humans (1). Sometimes, though, these results are not the same when tested on humans. Everybody knows that if a dog eats chocolate, it will kill the dog, but humans eat chocolate on a day-to-day basis. Animals have different digestions systems from humans and cannot eat the same things as humans. A guinea pig, for example, can eat strychnine safely, but humans will die if they ingest it (2). The results are not reliable; animals just react differently to certain chemicals than humans. Would you want to take a new drug knowing that it may be safe on animals but could potentially kill humans? I know and am sure you would not.
Animals also have rights. They are living creatures like you and I and deserved to be treated with the same amount of respect. As on PETA's official website, "All animals have the ability to suffer in the same way and to the same degree that humans do. They feel pain, pleasure, fear, frustration, loneliness, and motherly love." (5). They are just like humans in this respect, for we feel all these emotions as well. Would you like to be crammed into a 10 x10 room with 99 other people and forced to live like that, while someone "higher" than you picks you out one by one and conducts experiments on you? The animals sure do not like it, and that is not healthy for them either. This fits into the definition of cruelty.
In retrospect, however, some good has come out of animal testing. Without the use of dogs, we would not have insulin for all the diabetics. Also, the cancer treatment chemotherapy would not exist (4). An excerpt from Dr. Joseph E. Murray's, a Nobel Laureate, article states:
"In December 1995, AIDS patient Jeff Getty underwent an experimental treatment that involved injecting bone marrow cells from a baboon into his body to bolster his immune system (baboons are immune to the AIDS virus). The loss of the donor baboon was tolerable because scientists and doctors should use all methods at hand when combating deadly human diseases. Like the many other treatments and medicines that have contributed to improved human health, the cure for AIDS will undoubtedly come through animal experimentation. (Editor's note: Getty's body rejected the baboon cells, but he continues to look for other cures.)"
As you can see, it did not work. Humans are not baboons. The failures far outnumber the successes, and there are more animals' lives being taken than there are human lives that can be saved.
Another thing, besides animal's lives, that is being wasted, is money. A lot of taxpayer's money is being wasted on this fruitless research. According to physician Peggy Carlson, "U.S. health care expenditures totaled $884 billion in 1993 and are expected to have reached $1 trillion in 1995." This seems to me like an awful lot of money to be wasted on senselessly killing animals. Fourteen percent of the United States' economy goes to "health care", and still more is being donated and taken out of our taxes (2). This money could be used to get homeless people off of the streets. Instead, this is where it goes, and yet, we still haven't gotten any closer to the cure for AIDS or cancer.
As you can see, animal testing cannot be truly justified. There are too many risks in using animal results on humans, and the lives of animals are very precious. The results from the research are not reliable, and animals have rights. Also it is a huge waste of money. What the government is saying, in my honest opinion, is that it is illegal for civilians to beat a dog, but it is okay for big companies to kill them and cut them open for their own reasons knowing they will fail. This seems undeniably cruel.

NeoTifa
11-18-2007, 10:06 PM
umm could you show what you edited in red or something. >.<

ReloadPsi
11-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Marijuana has almost no connection to violence.

I'd cite my dad as an example to contradict this but nobody ever believes me.

Mirage
11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Maybe your dad just is a violent individual who also smokes marijuana?

Anyway, I think your essay needs a few more paragraphs. It's sort of a wall of text.

NeoTifa
11-20-2007, 12:06 AM
its supposed to be 7-9 paragraphs. meh oh well. due today anyway. thnks for your guys' help ^_^ once again. i hate english. at least essays anyways. my engrish prof thinks im some type of genius or something cuz im fairly decent at peotry and stuff.

cold winter snow
a red rose falls into shadows
warm tears

i busted that one out in creative writers club and he wants to publish it in our school magazine. XD what a dork

Sup3rman
12-20-2007, 06:55 AM
In my experience, English teachers hate it when students choose to write about legalizing marijuana. I'm sure your teacher has read every possible angle on the subject and is bored to tears by it.

You're likely better off choosing a topic you're more certain on instead of having someone else establish an angle for you. What's the point of choosing your own topic if you want someone to dictate what you write?

agree wit that

Aerith's Knight
12-20-2007, 12:18 PM
pot is legal in the netherlands.. we dont really notice it though.. if they arent smoking pot, then they're doing crack.. and since pot makes you sleepy.. id rather have them smoke that.