PDA

View Full Version : The Bestiary

Vivisteiner
11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I think its awesome! What do you think?

Slothy
11-02-2007, 01:13 AM
From now on, any FF that fails to include a bestiary as awesome as this one automatically fails. This thing was not only a great idea, but executed so well that I could sit there for hours reading it.

Big D
11-02-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm with you guys on this one. The bestiary text was brilliantly written, and really insightful too. Especially the bonus info that you get for defeating the requisite number of each foe - there are all kinds of handy cultural and societal details there. Like the explanation for why Ivalice has outlandishly advanced airships, but ground vehicles are usually little more than chocobos and carts. Great stuff like that.
It's also neat looking for familiar names among the authors of the various bits of info... like 'the naturalist Merlose' - maybe a descendant of Callo Merlose from Vagrant Story?

No.78
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah it was best bestiary so far indeedypops

remnant1
11-02-2007, 04:45 PM
i learned alot reading al the extra content.it be really good if final fantasy Xlll would have this feature

Skyblade
11-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I too loved the bestiary. Tons of optional info that explains so much about how the world works. I just love that sort of stuff.

And anyone who doesn't like it, doesn't have to read it, it's win-win.

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I loved it. Nice good read.

Vivisteiner
11-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm with you guys on this one. The bestiary text was brilliantly written, and really insightful too. Especially the bonus info that you get for defeating the requisite number of each foe - there are all kinds of handy cultural and societal details there. Like the explanation for why Ivalice has outlandishly advanced airships, but ground vehicles are usually little more than chocobos and carts. Great stuff like that.
It's also neat looking for familiar names among the authors of the various bits of info... like 'the naturalist Merlose' - maybe a descendant of Callo Merlose from Vagrant Story?

Oooh...I think I missed that. Im still in the process of reading it. Could you explain? Is it to do with those bug things that ruin metal working on the ground? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Big D
11-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Oooh...I think I missed that. Im still in the process of reading it. Could you explain? Is it to do with those bug things that ruin metal working on the ground? Thats the only thing I can think of.I don't remember precisely, since it's been a while, but it goes something like this:
The explanation is that there's a kind of slightly corrosive vapor that occurs naturally, emerging from the ground and possibly a by-product of Mist. This is harmless to living things, and doesn't affect metal or structures, but in the long-term it plays hell with machinery of any kind. It only appears at low altitudes, though, so airships are virtually immune.

Vivisteiner
11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
^Oh, cool. Maybe Ill come across it eventually in the Bestiary.

Bolivar
11-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I thought it was really well done. It's like an added incentive to go out and fight each type of monster.

Although some items were more interesting than others, and in RPGs I feel it's always better to show the player something rather than tell them.

Nifleheim7
11-05-2007, 03:05 AM
I loved it although i would prefer it if it was 3D (like in X-2).