PDA

View Full Version : FFVI vs. FFVII vs. FFVIII vs. FFIX vs. FFX vs. FFXII

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Discuss.

NeoCracker
11-03-2007, 04:39 AM
VI and IX are the only legitimate competitors in this title.

Vermachtnis
11-03-2007, 04:41 AM

Yup, I voted for VI.

Rostum
11-03-2007, 04:48 AM
FFIX. :love:

Goldenboko
11-03-2007, 05:41 AM

Correctamundo, IX being the more proper of the choices ;D

Laddy
11-03-2007, 03:12 PM
FFVII.

Avarice-ness
11-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Yup, I voted for VI.

Agree'd! :razz:

blackmage_nuke
11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
VI

Elpizo
11-03-2007, 04:19 PM
My vote went to Final Fantasy IX.

cloud21zidane16
11-03-2007, 04:39 PM
VI, VII or IX!!! I really cant decide:rolleyes2 They all have amazing stories, characters, sidequests:cool:
I love them all but VII was my first so ill vote for that:D

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-03-2007, 05:03 PM
FFIX was my first so needless to say my vote goes to FFVIII's vastly superior successor.

Vivisteiner
11-03-2007, 07:45 PM
They're all good but...

"FFIX is best."

I want a hundred lines of that handed into my pigeon-hole by noon. Without fail.

Bolivar
11-03-2007, 08:26 PM
(to me) remove VI and XII and it's a real tossup.

In reality each one, including XII, is a candidate for best in the series. I look at it this way: Nomura said that each FF is a different team's interpretation on what FF is and what it should be. I interpret them like this:

VI is the play, VII is the movie, VIII is the novel, IX is the story book, X is the biblical story, and XII is the epic.

ReloadPsi
11-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Since I'm not tainted by the presence of an anti-FF7 bandwagon, FF7.

9 is damn close though, for being the first (and last) after 5 to actually closely resemble the FF universe.

What sickens me is that there are people out there who don't believe FF9 to be a true FF. These are the same morons who thought FF7 was the first FF and that Vivi was "a very original character design, I'd never seen anything like him before". smurfing cretins. FF9 is twice the "true" FF that 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12 put together will ever be (not many realise that 6 was the first to really deviate from the series conventions).

silentenigma
11-04-2007, 03:19 AM
FF9 is twice the "true" FF that 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12 put together will ever be (not many realise that 6 was the first to really deviate from the series conventions).

Are you saying that some of the changes made since FFVI are bad? FYI, the FF series would suck a whole lot if there was never any variation. Many of the things in FFVI had lasting positive effects for the series. We could have said in 1988 that FFII didn't belong in the series because it extremely different from its predecessor.

And...FFXII was medievalish, featured decent-at-best character development, an item-driven story, and kept its integrity.

FFIX was medievalish, but it had excellent character development, a character-driven story, and lost its integrity by purposely making the atmosphere of the game unrealistic and by being advertised as "going back to its roots"

Now which one is more like the first five FF's?

Oh and FFVI gets my vote.

Vivisteiner
11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
FFIX was medievalish, but it had excellent character development, a character-driven story, and lost its integrity by purposely making the atmosphere of the game unrealistic and by being advertised as "going back to its roots"
I object. Big time.

It was as realistic as VII or VIII or X or XII. And how does that advert of 'going back to its roots' make it lose its integrity? All it's saying is that the style will be more similar to the early Final Fantasys.

Rianoa
11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
em at random i would have to say X cause if the emotional story and the characters and the gameplay leaving them in battle you can have a ten minute think about what your next attacks gonna be and not die :love:

jammi567
11-04-2007, 02:11 PM
VIII. Because not many people notice this game, what with VII being the best because "it was my first game i ever played, and it's the best because i said so", and IX being the best because "fantasy must mean that it features castles and knight and pretty princesses"

Vivisteiner
11-04-2007, 04:07 PM
^A lot of people notice FFVIII.

In a bad way.

With its crappy crappy love which was as bad as the laughing scene in FFX but lasted much longer :mad: .

silentenigma
11-04-2007, 11:07 PM
I object. Big time.

It was as realistic as VII or VIII or X or XII. And how does that advert of 'going back to its roots' make it lose its integrity? All it's saying is that the style will be more similar to the early Final Fantasys.

I wasn't trying to say that advertising it that way was necessarily bad, but all they did was bring back visual/nostalgic things such as the FFI looking black mage, an afterthought crystal, a more deformed (that's what i meant by unrealistic) look, and subtle character references to previous FF's. If that's what going back to its roots consists of, then that's fine. However, I think that the whole notion is kind of ridiculous because each FF has been quite different to, yet extremely influenced by, the preceding installment.

I just don't hold the game's time-setting as very important.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Wow I guess nobody here likes Final Fantasy XII because it hasn't gotten a vote.

Ouch!
11-05-2007, 01:09 AM
FFIX. :love:
You are correct.

Snap Jumper
11-05-2007, 03:28 AM
I voted VI, although IX makes an excellent runner up.

Zechs
11-05-2007, 03:41 AM
I like VI more than any others. I've liked it longer. And I feel that if anything should have had a compilation, VI should have been.

Godhand
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Voted VII because of nostalgia, but recognise XII is the best game in terms of pretty much everything that matters.

Loony BoB
11-05-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm a VII baby and thus it gets my vote, as it should anyway. Wonderful game.

Odd to see VI in there but not I-V. I always say I-VI as the "2D era" and VII onwards as the "3D era". VI looks a bit out of place in the lineup because of that.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Odd to see VI in there but not I-V.

I didn't have enough room for FFs I-V.

ReloadPsi
11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
FF9 is twice the "true" FF that 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 and 12 put together will ever be (not many realise that 6 was the first to really deviate from the series conventions).

Are you saying that some of the changes made since FFVI are bad?

No. Didn't you read all of my post? I said I liked 7.